News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Old Mouseketeer

Moon Cake! Mars Bars!
At EXPO 86 in Vancouver, Canada, Seagrams was the corporate sponsor for the Fair's VIP club (a contractual requirement for every fair), which they named the "Canadian Club" (and they used the same script as the eponymous whiskey). There was a rumor (unfounded, alas) that one room would be named the "Nanaimo Bar" (Nanaimo is a town in BC and the Nanaimo Bar is a sweet baked BC delicacy).

rle4lunch

I was like that last year. Had my big trip at the end of February for Galaxies Edge planned out for a year and a half. 2 weeks before hand it was announce Micky and Minnie's would open the day after I left... I was so ticked but by then too late to change. It was still a great trip though.
we were there a week before MMRR opened as well... oh well. We're heading back down in 16 days.

rle4lunch

It is very interesting we still haven’t heard anything about this. Surely, something has to be happening soon?

Everytime I look at when a thread is built on a new project I cringe to see said project still not complete nearly 4 years later. 2 years should be the max that ANYTHING should take to build. Hell, they build stuff as fast as a military contractor (which, is to say, not fast).

mhochman

I've said this already in this thread, but I can't ever remember a project showing this little progress with this little info. It HAS to be that there is nothing happening inside.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've said this already in this thread, but I can't ever remember a project showing this little progress with this little info. It HAS to be that there is nothing happening inside.
Construction resumed on that project even during the COVID shutdown, but on a slower pace due to the COVID restrictions and the reduced workforce able to be onsite. So things have definitely happened on the inside, and they were not that far off even then.

mhochman

Construction resumed on that project even during the COVID shutdown, but on a slower pace due to the COVID restrictions and the reduced workforce able to be onsite. So things have definitely happened on the inside, and they were not that far off even then.
Right, which makes you wonder, why no opening date. It should be ready. I'm sure it could be ready very soon if they wanted it to be. Maybe the above poster is right, maybe they're waiting for Rat.

nickys

Premium Member
Right, which makes you wonder, why no opening date. It should be ready. I'm sure it could be ready very soon if they wanted it to be. Maybe the above poster is right, maybe they're waiting for Rat.
Would it be Disney or Patina who have the final say on when it opens?

Obviously it can’t open until Patina have staff who have been trained, which I don’t think had happened yet - but I could be wrong.

But when Patina either say “We’re ready” or “We’ll be ready on June 1st”, can Disney say “We want you to wait until Oct 1st” ?

mhochman

Would it be Disney or Patina who have the final say on when it opens?

Obviously it can’t open until Patina have staff who have been trained, which I don’t think had happened yet - but I could be wrong.

But when Patina either say “We’re ready” or “We’ll be ready on June 1st”, can Disney say “We want you to wait until Oct 1st” ?

Purely speculating, but I would imagine Disney has control over anything like that and I'm sure it's written into their contract.

nickys

Premium Member
Purely speculating, but I would imagine Disney has control over anything like that and I'm sure it's written into their contract.
That contract has been in place for years, literally! No way would it spell out an opening date.

It might well specify that Disney will confirm the planned opening, but I doubt it allows for unlimited changes of mind!

I’m sure the parks closure resulted in some renegotiation too, since any previous agreement would have been affected.

Patcheslee

I'm wondering if the "space lift" design, may not be practical in with the social distancing. Would they open without that feature? Or is it a functional 1 story lift?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But the pandemic likely invalidated things in the contract. For example if there was required "open by date" the pandemic could have invalidated that.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
But the pandemic likely invalidated things in the contract. For example if there was required "open by date" the pandemic could have invalidated that.
Indeed.

And Delaware North (who owns Patina) was ROCKED by the pandemic. Most of their business is operating F&B at sports venues and office cafeterias. Not exactly businesses operating on a carside-to-go model right now. And frankly, with all of the festivals, neither can restaurants at Epcot right now. So I’m guessing they’ll push to delay as long as possible, since opening at 30-50% capacity is almost certainly a money loser.

Crunchie9

On the note of contracts, there is almost 100% chance that there are force majeure stipulations in it.

I really do want to experience this restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom