News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

LastoneOn

Looking back I definitely agree that the "table" is extremely small, however, I definitely do think it has to be a mounting plate for a bigger tabletop that has yet to be installed.

Booth tables generally hang a bit over the seats whereas the current system has a substantial gap between the chair and "table"

View attachment 513486
For reference
Well, if its not a mounting plate they sure have decided to accommodate the "pooh sized" guests haven't they.

IveBeenJack

Found this patent for what seems to be the digital "space window" technology used in the Galactic Starcruiser (Bridge) and the Space 220 restaurant. It was published on August 13 2020, which makes sense as patents for technology that is used within Disney projects are only usually published after the project has opened. And in the case of Space 220, it was originally targeting a late 2019 opening and then was pushed back to Early 2020... but then COVID hit.
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.36.35 pm.png

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.36.27 pm.png
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.13 pm.png

_caleb

Found this patent for what seems to be the digital "space window" technology used in the Galactic Starcruiser (Bridge) and the Space 220 restaurant. It was published on August 13 2020, which makes sense as patents for technology that is used within Disney projects are only usually published after the project has opened. And in the case of Space 220, it was originally targeting a late 2019 opening and then was pushed back to Early 2020... but then COVID hit.View attachment 530645
View attachment 530644View attachment 530646
Thanks for posting these!
Anyone care to explain the function of the ”concave, transparent mirror” element (other than to look through as a window)? That seems like a very expensive part (maybe the part that was rumored to have been broken upon installation?), but what does it do that a regular sheet of glass couldn’t?

IveBeenJack

Thanks for posting these!
Anyone care to explain the function of the ”concave, transparent mirror” element (other than to look through as a window)? That seems like a very expensive part (maybe the part that was rumored to have been broken upon installation?), but what does it do that a regular sheet of glass couldn’t?

So the collimated mirror element that is transmissive of light, means that Imagineering can control the opacity of the mirror from certain angles, thus creating a great projection surface for the reflected imagery from the convex "projection screen" above. Whilst at the same time appearing transparent from the viewing gallery, making it seem as if it's floating in mid-air.

I am definitely not an expert on collimated displays, so maybe someone with more experience could look into the patent more. But Collimated displays are mainly used for flight simulators to create an "infinite planes of view" that is similar to a pilot's view from the cockpit. There was a pretty good "how it's made" on flight simulators which I'll attach, along with the video I did on the patent from yesterday.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Found this patent for what seems to be the digital "space window" technology used in the Galactic Starcruiser (Bridge) and the Space 220 restaurant. It was published on August 13 2020, which makes sense as patents for technology that is used within Disney projects are only usually published after the project has opened. And in the case of Space 220, it was originally targeting a late 2019 opening and then was pushed back to Early 2020... but then COVID hit.View attachment 530645
View attachment 530644View attachment 530646
I could see this working on something small like Starcruiser, but I'm not sure if this is the system that will be used in Space on its 250ft display. I suspect it may be a simpler projection.

IveBeenJack

I could see this working on something small like Starcruiser, but I'm not sure if this is the system that will be used in Space on its 250ft display. I suspect it may be a simpler projection.
Yeah, you could be totally right as there isn’t much room for the glass layers in Space 220. Then again we heard that there was trouble with a glass pane cracking, maybe it was relating to the mirror element.

Anyway, still interesting technology.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom