Southwest takes over as dominant airline at Long Beach Airport as JetBlue prepares to leave - OCR/SCNG

cmwade77

Mark my words, JetBlue will deeply regret this decision in the end, people in the area won't go to LAX, but people that live near LAX would go to LGB, so if anything they should have simply moved their flights from LAX to LGB and stopped flying out of LAX.

shambolicdefending

My air travel nirvana would be if SWA started doing direct flights to LGB out of Dallas-Love.

We love Southwest, but we always have to fly into LAX, which is a drag.

truecoat

Mark my words, JetBlue will deeply regret this decision in the end, people in the area won't go to LAX, but people that live near LAX would go to LGB, so if anything they should have simply moved their flights from LAX to LGB and stopped flying out of LAX.

They know it's going to be easier in the future for LAX. LAX's problems will be a thing of the past in a couple years when the shuttle, dropoff and rental car center open.

PiratesMansion

It would be a blessing if this resulted in more direct Southwest flights landing here from Chicago, especially since it seems like SNA abandoned its once-daily nonstop Southwest flight a few years back.

Unlikely, but I can dream. And I've never once flown into Long Beach because it seems nonstop flights from Chicago aren't a thing there, so it'd be nice to have another closer airport option.

Maybe? Fingers crossed?

Ismael Flores

Now if only Ontario Airport would get more airlines to fly directly. LAX is a nightmare, worst major airport in the world - not counting other miserable airports in the state - LOL
Why can't our airports look and be as efficient as the one in Singapore, Beijing, Norway, Amsterdam, Copehagan, Tokyo, Zurich, Hamad, Incheon. Its funny whenever i travel and i get off in LAX first thing in my mind is Crap i am back to this dump especially when they disembark in areas where they make you walk thru hallways that look like they have been abandoned or have to take a shuttle bus and it drops you off in the oldest wherehouse style boarding area connected to Bradley terminal. feels like you just got highjacked and the only clear possible escape route is a long concrete ramp that heads up into these double doors and more hallways.

Reminds me of the scene from the Steven king movie The langoliers when people arrive to a deserted airport

Last edited:

cmwade77

They know it's going to be easier in the future for LAX. LAX's problems will be a thing of the past in a couple years when the shuttle, dropoff and rental car center open.
The problems with LAX can't actually be fixed:
LAX is too big
It is impossible to go between terminals after going through security
The freeways to get to LAX are too overcrowded, even during COVID and it is only going to get worse
LAX is poorly managed
It takes too long for your luggage to get to bag claim after you land
If you need assistance, you often wait hours at your terminal for assistance

There are many other issues, but these are a few.

truecoat

LAX is too big
The freeways to get to LAX are too overcrowded, even during COVID and it is only going to get worse
LAX is poorly managed

The people mover will take care of most of the problems in getting to and from the terminal. As far as luggage, I've never had to wait very long, maybe 15 min? I don't know what's considered long as it didn't seem any longer than other airports.

People mover 2.jpg

Ismael Flores

LAX is too big
LAX is poorly managed

agreed, I do have to say though in case some do not know that the terminals do connect after security the problem. This comes in handy if you have a long wait and want to use in other lounge that is not in your terminal.
The problem is how the transition form one terminal to the other is implemented. All terminals on north side of the airport 1 thru 3 are connected via shuttles. Those three terminals are also connected to Bradley terminal via shuttle but it is not clearly mark where shuttles drop offs are. They are located in some of the most obscure areas that require people to go down to runway levels.

Terminals 4,5,6,7,8 as well as Bradley are all connected via underground tunnels. taking these tunnels you just need to make sure you do not go the wrong way and end up in one of the luggage pick up areas outside of security. The tunnel in the Bradley terminal can be accessed on the second floor where the lounges are.

The problem is time, walking from one terminal to the other can take about 10 minutes unless you are a fast walker. The shuttles luckily are constantly arriving in terminal 1,2,3 and Bradley but can also be busy. The shuttles also use a pathway that crisscrosses them with arriving and departing planes so delays can happen.

LAX is just an old airport that needs a major facelift that encompasses more than just a monorail type system from a concentrated car rental area. They should remove all the day parking spots that fill up the parking structures in the middle of the airport. Make all parking there long term parking. The car loop around the airport would become a drop off only system and no more pick-up.

The biggest obstacle and congestion in the airport is for pick-up/arrivals. Make everyone take the monorail system to the new centralized hub. After you disembark and get your luggage people head outside and board the monorail to the centralized pick-up where Uber, taxi, Lyft and shuttle areas are available. The light rail lines are also available for direct transport to downtown LA and other stops along the way. The system is also going to be connected to the green line so that's a plus. as well as parking.

free 2 hour max parking area for pick available and a pick up car loop available that is being monitored for those that decide to park and wait. Basically move the arrival congested away from airport. This is done in several international airports and it works great. They split up the congestion to different directions forcing less cars to loop around airport terminals. Might take a bit of a learning curve but eventually people will learn.

The extra time it would take to get from the terminal to the new central location for arrivals would be dramatically less then standing on the curbside of the terminal waiting for the shuttle or family member to loop around multiple times only to be blocked by traffic and roadrage. All lanes backed up by the fact that the lanes lessen as you get closer to terminal 7 and 8 and people realize last minute they need to be on right lane to head a certain direction and then stop and block all others to merge thru

truecoat

agreed, I do have to say though in case some do not know that the terminals do connect after security the problem. This comes in handy if you have a long wait and want to use in other lounge that is not in your terminal.
The problem is how the transition form one terminal to the other is implemented. All terminals on north side of the airport 1 thru 3 are connected via shuttles. Those three terminals are also connected to Bradley terminal via shuttle but it is not clearly mark where shuttles drop offs are. They are located in some of the most obscure areas that require people to go down to runway levels.

Terminals 4,5,6,7,8 as well as Bradley are all connected via underground tunnels. taking these tunnels you just need to make sure you do not go the wrong way and end up in one of the luggage pick up areas outside of security. The tunnel in the Bradley terminal can be accessed on the second floor where the lounges are.

The problem is time, walking from one terminal to the other can take about 10 minutes unless you are a fast walker. The shuttles luckily are constantly arriving in terminal 1,2,3 and Bradley but can also be busy. The shuttles also use a pathway that crisscrosses them with arriving and departing planes so delays can happen.

LAX is just an old airport that needs a major facelift that encompasses more than just a monorail type system from a concentrated car rental area. They should remove all the day parking spots that fill up the parking structures in the middle of the airport. Make all parking there long term parking. The car loop around the airport would become a drop off only system and no more pick-up.

The biggest obstacle and congestion in the airport is for pick-up/arrivals. Make everyone take the monorail system to the new centralized hub. After you disembark and get your luggage people head outside and board the monorail to the centralized pick-up where Uber, taxi, Lyft and shuttle areas are available. The light rail lines are also available for direct transport to downtown LA and other stops along the way. The system is also going to be connected to the green line so that's a plus. as well as parking.

free 2 hour max parking area for pick available and a pick up car loop available that is being monitored for those that decide to park and wait. Basically move the arrival congested away from airport. This is done in several international airports and it works great. They split up the congestion to different directions forcing less cars to loop around airport terminals. Might take a bit of a learning curve but eventually people will learn.

The extra time it would take to get from the terminal to the new central location for arrivals would be dramatically less then standing on the curbside of the terminal waiting for the shuttle or family member to loop around multiple times only to be blocked by traffic and roadrage. All lanes backed up by the fact that the lanes lessen as you get closer to terminal 7 and 8 and people realize last minute they need to be on right lane to head a certain direction and then stop and block all others to merge thru

There will be a new location for pick up and drop offs. It's located here.

Edit...You can use the east facility also.

lax_1_0.jpg
ITF West Plaza.jpg

Ismael Flores

The people mover will take care of most of the problems in getting to and from the terminal. As far as luggage, I've never had to wait very long, maybe 15 min? I don't know what's considered long as it didn't seem any longer than other airports.

View attachment 501276

You know what i find interesting about this piece of concept art? They are spending 5.5 billion for this update which is great but it seems like no one considered that they have a great looking piece of architecture there "the Iconic theme building" that can finally attract people to it and somehow it is still inaccessible. The ground portion building houses the Bob Hope USO lounge for military but i believe the upper lounge still sits empty. You would have thought that they would have added a nicely themed connecting walkway from the soon to be built glass terminal connector and reopened a lounge there. Instead you can sit on a bench and see it thru the glass walls of the tunnel.

truecoat

You know what i find interesting about this piece of concept art? They are spending 5.5 billion for this update which is great but it seems like no one considered that they have a great looking piece of architecture there "the Iconic theme building" that can finally attract people to it and somehow it is still inaccessible. The ground portion building houses the Bob Hope USO lounge for military but i believe the upper lounge still sits empty. You would have thought that they would have added a nicely themed connecting walkway from the soon to be built glass terminal connector and reopened a lounge there. Instead you can sit on a bench and see it thru the glass walls of the tunnel.

You'd either have to go early or you'd have to leave the security bubble, both of which no one wants to do.

Ismael Flores

thanks not sure how i missed that, That makes much more sense.
There will be a new location for pick up and drop offs. It's located here.

Edit...You can use the east facility also.

View attachment 501615View attachment 501616
The more i look at the plans now Still looks like they created more of a bandage then a fix. LAWA is still considering adding more terminals which will only increase capacity. The new peoplemover layout seems to only add stress and time to arrival and pick up especially since the peoplemover statins sit in the middle of the airport property forcing people to walk across quite a distance with luggage especially if your terminal check in area is not right across from the elevated tunnels exit points.

They should have done what ever other major airport has been doing and just created a loop around the whole thing. Eliminate the upper loop forcing everyone to use the centralized hubs. If needed have a direct line that goes from main hubs to Bradley terminal or set up the system so that some trains stop on north end of airport and another on south terminals for time efficiency but not necessary since stops would be short timed.

allowing cars to still do drop off and drive around loop gives travelers the opportunity to bypass the main hubs all together and many will.

truecoat

The more i look at the plans now Still looks like they created more of a bandage then a fix. LAWA is still considering adding more terminals which will only increase capacity. The new peoplemover layout seems to only add stress and time to arrival and pick up especially since the peoplemover statins sit in the middle of the airport property forcing people to walk across quite a distance with luggage especially if your terminal check in area is not right across from the elevated tunnels exit points.

They should have done what ever other major airport has been doing and just created a loop around the whole thing. Eliminate the upper loop forcing everyone to use the centralized hubs. If needed have a direct line that goes from main hubs to Bradley terminal or set up the system so that some trains stop on north end of airport and another on south terminals for time efficiency but not necessary since stops would be short timed.

allowing cars to still do drop off and drive around loop gives travelers the opportunity to bypass the main hubs all together and many will.
All the connecting walkways have moving sidewalks and being that the people mover is 10 minutes from end to end, it'll be way faster than dealing with the loop. Sure, people could do it but I'd tell anyone I'm picking up to go to the west pickup terminal.

Ismael Flores

You'd either have to go early or you'd have to leave the security bubble, both of which no one wants to do.
why would that matter? the idea would not be intended for the masses and given the opportunity people would use it. lounges or places to get a drink outside a security bubble is not a bad idea.

Example, although this was in New York. Had to take a flight from LAX to New York to catch a flight to Egypt. Only flight available that would work got me into New York five hours before check in. Got to New York and couldn't get thru the security point because obviously i needed to get my luggage check in first- The problem was that check in would not open for four hours, option were that I go and pay $30 dollars a bag in one of those private baggage holds where they get your luggage and they put it in a closet or wait around for four hours in the precheck area where they have no place to relax. I can tell you that i was not the only one having that issue of being stranded for hours with no place to relax.

In my case i was lucky because i contacted my credit card company which told them my situation. They told me to get myself and my companions, three travelers i met and invited to join me since they were in same situation, on the monorail and head to another terminal. When we arrived i met with a host that was able to get our luggage secured and then headed to the lounge.

Other option would have been to get an Uber and head out of airport to nearest rest spot.

Ismael Flores

All the connecting walkways have moving sidewalks and being that the people mover is 10 minutes from end to end, it'll be way faster than dealing with the loop. Sure, people could do it but I'd tell anyone I'm picking up to go to the west pickup terminal.
I travel quite a bit and let me tell you moving walkways work but are never a solution. Main reason especially here in the states, people do not know how to use them or the correct etiquette of using a walkway or even an escalator.
secondly maintenance with many airports eventually keeping them off more than on.

Don't get me wrong i like the idea and upgrade of the airport but seems like they decided on a band-aid or temporary proposal after years of failure to get one thru. Now it seems like this was the fastest and most economical to get it done in time for the Olympics.

I haven't paid attention whether this design even includes aesthetic enhancements of the aging facades of the terminals. Bradly looks great when you look at the roof line but the facade itself is old as are the rest of the terminals

cmwade77

View attachment 501276
I have never waited less than 45 minutes for luggage. The problem with a people mover system will be convincing people it is safe to ride in an era of being hyperaware of viruses. Yes, I know that sounds silly for people that are about to sit on a plane for hours, but it comes down to perception.

And no matter what, it still doesn't fix the roads and freeways into and out of LAX. They are in major disrepair and always very busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom