South Africa: 2010 World Cup

Timmay

Original Poster
Let's hear it from all you soccer, football, futbol, footy fans out there. We are just days away from the opening game, followed by a month of great matchups.

So, who is your team/country, who do you think will actually win, and what are the matches you are looking forward to the most?

As a yank, I have high hopes for the US. I think for them to have a good showing, they have to at least get out of the round of 16. I am hoping for a draw against England, but that is a long shot, and a lot has to go right for them that game. I think that the US will get out of their group with no problem, but if they finish behind England, then they will most likely have to face Germany next, I believe. Not a good thing, but after what the US did to Spain and almost did to Brazil in the Confederations Cup, it can be done.

I think we are looking at a toss up between three teams...Spain, Brazil and Portugal. I think those three have the best chance, but I will give the edge to Spain here. They just look too strong.

These are the games I am looking forward to the most.
6/12 is the US against England
6/17 is France and Mexico
6/18 is Germany and Serbia
6/25 is Portugal and Brazil

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I will be backing Mo Edu all the way if the big man stays fit, and as always will be supporting whoever is playing against England, given we are not there, again....

Timmay

Original Poster
Outside of the US, I will hope well for England, knowing full well they will go out on PK's...again.

CAPTAIN HOOK

England is my team although I wish to distance myself from the hooligan element who travel so far to "support" their team and promote violence around the globe.
Italy, Germany or Brazil will win, England will struggle and scrape through the group stages and suprise no-one by getting knocked out soon afterwards.

jonnyc

Well i'll be supporting England, but we will not doubt go out on penalities. Spain are the obvious favourites as there team is full of quality, when Fabregas can't get a game you know you have a good squad. But I could see someone random winning it, i'd love to see an African team win if England don't (but not Ivory Coast, I can't stand Drogba!)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
England supporter here. Concerned about the first match against the USA. Our warm-up match against Mexico yesterday did not look good.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I will be backing Mo Edu all the way if the big man stays fit, and as always will be supporting whoever is playing against England, given we are not there, again....

Ah typical Scot there. It's a shame Scotland is rubbish at football, with the exception of Darren Fletcher ;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ah typical Scot there. It's a shame Scotland is rubbish at footbal, with the exception of Darren Fletcher ;)

The teams crap, but the fans are 1st class.

With a clear conscience I can back USA,
_47583437_mo_edu_466i_sns.jpg

or Algeria
article-0-0513A9DA000005DC-750_306x463.jpg

Grlwonder

I'm going for my favorite teams: USA, Germany, and Honduras.

Gotta give some props to Honduras. My family is from there and they haven't been to a world cup since '82! It was a proud moment for me and I'm glad they are going. I wish them the best and to make it as far as they can. :)

I want Germany to win just because Germany is cool.

Timmay

Original Poster
England supporter here. Concerned about the first match against the USA. Our warm-up match against Mexico yesterday did not look good.

True...Mexico outplayed England, yet England still won pretty easy. Might have been different if Mexico had actually had placed their shots better.

These games have little meaning, though...managers just trying sort out their final 23. US plays in a bit against the Czech Republic. I expect to see a lot of the sub level players out there fighting for one of the final 3-4 spots.

DizneePhan14

I am half spanish so i like Spain, but I was born and live in the U.S. so I love us Yanks as well. Can only hope the best for the U.S, I think we will get out of the groups probably play Germany and win that game and after that who knows. Italy will have a run, but they are too old, Germany has little chance without Ballack, and Portugal played like garbaged yesterday against Cape Verde a draw haha and so did England. Really Spain, Brazil, and Argentina are power houses and then teams like Ivory Coast and U.S. are gonna pull upsets. Its gonna be an awesome World Cup

Alexx

England fan here! I have high hopes for us as I do every world cup but they'll probably dissapoint me again and go out on pens :( so if England get knocked out, my moneys on spain.

DonaldDoleWhip

Supporting my family's country, South Africa...until they fail to make it past the group round. I'm not expecting much from them, but at least they get to take part.

I think Spain or Brazil's going to take the whole thing. But whatever happens, I'm excited to see the world spotlight on South Africa for at least a month!

Timmay

Original Poster
Well...big names are falling.

Ferdinand out for England and Drogba out for the Ivory Coast.

Altidore is hurt for the US, but seems to be okay, but only time will tell.

Lance

The Drogba injury is HUGE, I really hope he plays. Because I don't want Portugal to advance...lol... it'd be awesome to see Ronaldo knocked out in the group stage!!!

I picked Argentina to win it all from the start... but they have that England ability to fall flat on their a$$... so who knows...

as long as Brasil or Italy don't win.... can't stand either of them....

jonnyc

Well what a screamer of a goal too kick things off! Shame Mexico equalised, I would have liked to have seen South Africa win.

Number_6

Greece is not playing as well as would be expected. They usually field a pretty decent team. South Korea just took them out 2-0. I figure it'll probably be Italy, Brazil or Germany. Personally I'd be happy to see England or Australia take it, but I know that's not very likely. Nor is it likely to see USA get very far. Whoever wins, though, it'll be a great tournament and one that I've been looking forward to since watching the finals of the last tournament when I was living in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom