Sorcerers of the MK (video)

WDW1974

All the low rent bloggers who heap praise and check in daily at FDMK were out at MK Rope drop today to report on the big ribbon cutting. Of course they proved they weren't well connected enough to know it was before the park opened. Was kind of embarrassed for them really...

I feel bad for them ... wait, that was sarcasm. I really couldn't care less.

I'll get to try the game myself very soon, but I doubt my opinion is going to change.

Disney is trying to reinvent the Disney Parks experience and not by adding cutting edge, pricey, immersive family rides and new shows/parades/entertainment but by planning (or forcing guests to plan every second of trips ... anyone think Old Man Disney or any of the WED/WDI greats would think this is the right avenue?) and plotting (datamining) and turning the MK into a rundown giant lifesize video game.

~Um, no I don't like it!~

disneydiva72

I may have already replied to this thread...sorry if I did.....but my kids did not like the Sourcerers, they thought it was very boring that it was just stuff on screens, but they absolutely love kim possible, they do that one over and over, they love how things pop up out of the water and statues light up, they can not get enough of it.

also, the sourcerers had us zig zagging all over the place where Kim possible goes in an order. It is our opinion that they dropped the ball on the sourcerers.

Tip Top Club

Wait. The way you responded to that makes it seem like, above and beyond rationalizing the presence of the glow of dormant video screens breaking the illusion, you actually welcome it as an improvement. I hope that's not what you meant. And now they have spotlights on the players for nighttime? That just makes it sound more distracting. The more I hear about this, the less I like it.

Seriously, this looks terrible:
6668428845_1588af787c.jpg

The whole experience just seems so detached from everything else in the MK lands, and that detachment just calls more attention to the fact that this is a mere video game. I have to agree with other posters who have stated that this is far from cutting-edge technology, and, furthermore, you can get this type of experience with an Xbox in your home without paying theme park admission.

In response to the "well, the kids like it" argument, and this is addressed to the thread in general, not the poster I quoted, I don't believe that speaks for every kid because, if this came out while I was young, I would have been bored out of my mind with Sorcerers, and the same goes for many people I know and their children.

I don't like saying this about anything in WDW, especially because I liked Kim Possible in Epcot, but I call 'em as I see 'em. SOTMK seems like a waste of resources to me - resources that actually could have been put to use expanding the capacity of MK, which is what it needs more than anything. (FLE is only replacing capacity that was previously lost.)

I have to step in here and say that is a bad photo. The other day, I was at Magic Kingdom, pointing out the portals to my friends who hadn't played yet, and this was one of the portals that shocked them, because they had no idea at all that it was there. (Don't get me wrong, not all the portals are well integrated, but this one is.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Any news now what has happened in terms of game play since it has officially opened? Do we now have difficulty levels beyond holding up a card?

COProgressFan

I have to step in here and say that is a bad photo. The other day, I was at Magic Kingdom, pointing out the portals to my friends who hadn't played yet, and this was one of the portals that shocked them, because they had no idea at all that it was there. (Don't get me wrong, not all the portals are well integrated, but this one is.

Don't worry the portals are quite visible when in use. They are loud and rather intrusive.

Monsterfan99

Any news now what has happened in terms of game play since it has officially opened? Do we now have difficulty levels beyond holding up a card?
There are now difficulty levels and leveling up cards. To go with that, there are rewards for using cards related to each other, like a prince and princess from the same movie. Only got to play one protal last night due to the insanity that is MSEP, but things have changed since it went live.

One issue is going to be, you no longer need your park ticket to get cards each day. I was seeing fleabayers with around 15 game keycards getting 5 cards for each one. Even with that being a new policy, it has gotten so bad that fire station game place ran out while I was in there due to one person having a Brazilian tour group worth of key cards. Also the creepy sharking people standing around waiting to rip people off for rare cards has begun.

bhg469

Yes, sometimes you have to hold it sideways while hopping on one leg! LOL!!

From what I gather "difficulty" would be based on the card value vs. type of attack.

I just want them to make a wooden leg named smith attack!

Amused to Death

I was seeing fleabayers with around 15 game keycards getting 5 cards for each one.
Interesting. I tried to get cards for my daughter while she was in the restroom, showing the CM her Annual Pass, and I was rudely told that she would have to come back and wait in line herself. The CM nastily muttered, "People are trying to collect all of the cards." You think? Isn't that the point?

Also the creepy sharking people standing around waiting to rip people off for rare cards has begun.
What would be a "rare" card? Kevin Yee mentioned somewhere that he believes Disney is now holding back cards 61-70 for sale. Other than that, I am assuming they come as full decks, so I can't imagine why one card would be more "rare" than another. Heck, on several different visits, the CMs just peeled off five cards in consecutive order for us (e.g., 6-10, 24-28), not even bothering to mix them up (unbelievably stupid/lazy), and there weren't any "rare" cards missing from the sequences.

Monsterfan99

What would be a "rare" card? Kevin Yee mentioned somewhere that he believes Disney is now holding back cards 61-70 for sale. Other than that, I am assuming they come as full decks, so I can't imagine why one card would be more "rare" than another. Heck, on several different visits, the CMs just peeled off five cards in consecutive order for us (e.g., 6-10, 24-28), not even bothering to mix them up (unbelievably stupid/lazy), and there weren't any "rare" cards missing from the sequences.
At this point, not free=rare. With the prices on these cards being way too high as it is, I can only imagine the insanity people will pay for a "rare" card. To also go with that, some cards will clearly be more valuable than others. Not sure how many people want a Bower Hat or Gopher, but you can bet people will pay a premium for Tinker Bell or Mickey. Last night I saw sharks hanging out at around 3-5 portals for the entire 3 hours I was there.

The game itself is fun, but I'm not sure I like where it is headed. Think the creepy pin traders at EPCOT all over MK. With these cards starting to hit sales sites and going for a ton, this has the feeling of the worst of pin trading all rolled into one.

bhg469

At this point, not free=rare. With the prices on these cards being way too high as it is, I can only imagine the insanity people will pay for a "rare" card. To also go with that, some cards will clearly be more valuable than others. Not sure how many people want a Bower Hat or Gopher, but you can bet people will pay a premium for Tinker Bell or Mickey. Last night I saw sharks hanging out at around 3-5 portals for the entire 3 hours I was there.

The game itself is fun, but I'm not sure I like where it is headed. Think the creepy pin traders at EPCOT all over MK. With these cards starting to hit sales sites and going for a ton, this has the feeling of the worst of pin trading all rolled into one.
I really hope Disney steps in and stops some of this type of behavior. I don't want to see people getting ripped off by greedy scummy lurkers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here is a listing of all the cards..

http://destinationvinylmation.com/2012/02/sorcerers-of-the-kingdom-cards-checklist/

i personally think this is going to flop, its too involved for people who are not at the MK on a regular basis.

I think the system has shown just how easily accessible it is. You don't need to get 100% completion/maximizing out of something to enjoy it. In fact, the notion you can get enjoyment without NEEDING to complete.. shows a good system.

I don't think it will flop on guests at all - the question is can Disney keep it contained in that it doesn't impact the park in a negative way.

I'm suprised they did this in the park instead of doing it say.. at DTD. Imagine using it as a tool to keep people in DTD longer.. and to move them through the property. Keep it free with validation. Spend $15 in DTD and it's free to play.. etc.

It could also be used in resorts as a way to entertain after park hours.. etc.

I personally like the DTD concept the best myself :)

bhg469

I think the system has shown just how easily accessible it is. You don't need to get 100% completion/maximizing out of something to enjoy it. In fact, the notion you can get enjoyment without NEEDING to complete.. shows a good system.

I don't think it will flop on guests at all - the question is can Disney keep it contained in that it doesn't impact the park in a negative way.

I'm suprised they did this in the park instead of doing it say.. at DTD. Imagine using it as a tool to keep people in DTD longer.. and to move them through the property. Keep it free with validation. Spend $15 in DTD and it's free to play.. etc.

Dtd would be a brilliant idea for this!

On a side note, what is stppping anyone from scanning the cards and printing them out?

bhg469

I had a feeling.

Looking briefly at the cards i noticed the symbols around the oval shape of the picture on the card. Those must be what are used for the AR tag that initiates the response. I would imagine that it will be used for orientation as well.

IlikeDW

Buy a limited edition items(ie vinylmation) and get a special card, spend more than $50.00 at rainforest Cafe and get a card... many was to provide free but also create up-sells.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom