News Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom closing Jan 24th 2021

DCBaker

Premium Member
"According to the Walt Disney World calendar, the final day that guests will be able to play the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game will be on January 24, 2021.

The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom will close permanently on January 25, 2021."

jules_traveler

It had its pros and cons. It was something different, a touch of animation here and there with characters you don't see reflected anywhere else in the parks. One of the few things that remained 100% Stitch-free.

I guess I'll just box up our card sets.
There is a way to play it at home as a card game.

UNCgolf

It makes no sense to get rid of it unless they have some sort of replacement coming soon. It's cutting capacity from a park that needs it.

Obviously it's not any kind of major cut to capacity, but I always saw at least a few people playing. They shouldn't be removing things from any of the parks.

Last edited:

doctornick

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal removal begins​

That's a bummer. I was hoping that they'd use the screens as part of a new/different game. This indicates that there won't be anything forthcoming to replace SOTMK.

Is there any word on the Pirates game re-starting or the Ducktales Epcot one start date?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's a bummer. I was hoping that they'd use the screens as part of a new/different game. This indicates that there won't be anything forthcoming to replace SOTMK.

Is there any word on the Pirates game re-starting or the Ducktales Epcot one start date?
Nothing on any games. I think currently they are viewed as a problem with social distancing and getting in the way of extended attraction lines. So I'm not expecting anything to resume on that front.

JoeCamel

It makes no sense to get rid of it unless they have some sort of replacement coming soon. It's cutting capacity from a park that needs it.

Obviously it's not any kind of major cut to capacity, but I always saw at least a few people playing. They shouldn't be removing things from any of the parks.

Nothing on any games. I think currently they are viewed as a problem with social distancing and getting in the way of extended attraction lines. So I'm not expecting anything to resume on that front.
AFAIK there is no support for the software so the game is static. They can do the special characters as that capability was built into the original design but no further development is possible without going back to square one and they might as well start fresh with a blank slate if they wanted that but we all know how many voices are lobbying for the limited budget dollars so not a priority. The hardware is tough to keep up as well, it has two full time techs assigned in the MK I think and a couple of people in Burbank so the labor along with the ones we see at the distribution stations adds up.

RIP SotMK

psst: anybody need cards?

Dutch Inn '76

I will miss SOTMK - I even collect the cards - but I think it has run its course. No one in my family had any interest in playing any longer. Folks new to WDW might have liked it, but my family was done with it.

JoeCamel

I will miss SOTMK - I even collect the cards - but I think it has run its course. No one in my family had any interest in playing any longer. Folks new to WDW might have liked it, but my family was done with it.
It would have been special if it kept evolving through the years but when Jonathan was shifted to the ill fated game division SotMK was left static. The designer is gone so no one to pick up the work and no budget.

jeanericuser001

I don't see any replacement here, do you? If they were updating or replacing then great, but let's not make apologies for taking away another entertainment option
index.jpg

A new attraction that will easily attract hundreds perhaps thousands of people eager to ride this new coaster. Yeah that sounds like a decent replacement. Its still a ways a way but patience is a virtue. Besides out of the major attractions SOTMK was a low tier attraction that was likely to get taken down eventually. Very likely disney may one day repurpose it for a mobile game similar to other mobile card games but for now like thanos its dust in the wind.

Amidala

Still really disappointed with this move. Like others have said, I would be 100% ready and willing to move on if a replacement option was planned, but I doubt we'll be seeing one anytime soon. Yeah, the tech was a little antiquated, but not to the point of killing the enjoyability factor. SOTK was a fun way to explore the park, not just for kids but for APs, CMs, etc. looking for something different to do for a few hours. And I really appreciated the novelty of the free/collectible cards! Definitely preferable to Play Disney Parks for me.

Also, Tron and SOTMK are kind of an apples to oranges comparison aren't they? Obviously an E-Ticket coaster will attract more guests than an interactive game, but there's room for both kinds of attractions at the parks. That's like saying Wilderness Explorers should be discontinued because DAK has Expedition Everest.

pdude81

View attachment 543955
A new attraction that will easily attract hundreds perhaps thousands of people eager to ride this new coaster. Yeah that sounds like a decent replacement. Its still a ways a way but patience is a virtue. Besides out of the major attractions SOTMK was a low tier attraction that was likely to get taken down eventually. Very likely disney may one day repurpose it for a mobile game similar to other mobile card games but for now like thanos its dust in the wind.
Tron really has nothing to do with SOTMK, and if not for the pandemic we'd likely have both this year.

UNCgolf

It would have been special if it kept evolving through the years but when Jonathan was shifted to the ill fated game division SotMK was left static. The designer is gone so no one to pick up the work and no budget.

Which isn't a reason to close what was already there, as long as it was still working (although the cameras were not working very well last time I was there when my GF played). Still added something more to do at the Magic Kingdom and although returning guests may not have cared about it, there are always new kids making their first trip.

I absolutely understand wanting to replace it with something newer, but don't understand shutting it down and removing everything right now with no replacement on the way. Even if they didn't want to use it during COVID, they could have just left the portals in place but turned off for the time being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom