News Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom closing Jan 24th 2021

JIMINYCR

I played it on every trip since it started. Ive collected a bunch of the cards which I'll keep. It wasnt an activity that was a priority that took precedence over other park activities but rather something I did after doing everything else. It was fun to do as all the other park games that have been put into place have added another level of amusement. I'm sorry to see it go just because it was an extra activity that wasnt costly made available to do on a trip. I do hope it gets replaced by something, although with everything now going off your phone, I can see these types of non phone based activities going away permanently.

drizgirl

I played it on every trip since it started. Ive collected a bunch of the cards which I'll keep. It wasnt an activity that was a priority that took precedence over other park activities but rather something I did after doing everything else. It was fun to do as all the other park games that have been put into place have added another level of amusement. I'm sorry to see it go just because it was an extra activity that wasnt costly made available to do on a trip. I do hope it gets replaced by something, although with everything now going off your phone, I can see these types of non phone based activities going away permanently.
So they would want me to pay $100+ to enter the parks, then play things on the phone I bought? Hmmm....

Amused to Death

Disney is beautiful, look around enjoy the sights

73EE1285-2B38-4BD0-A338-2E8E630E5B0E.jpeg

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 😆

JIMINYCR

For a while, prior to the game, they were selling 101 Dalmatians and fire department themed merchandise in there.

They also sold replica fire fighters badges, some had names on them.
s-l300.jpg

I have ones with only titles of positions such as Chief, Battalion Chief, Captain, Dispatcher, Arson Squad, Lieutenant, Orlando Station, and more. They had a nice display on the wall of station patches from all over the USA that firefighters would drop off.

MarvelCharacterNerd

So they would want me to pay $100+ to enter the parks, then play things on the phone I bought? Hmmm....
From what I've read online, it seems to be kind of the opposite causality - because people wouldn't get their heads out of their phones to appreciate the beautiful surroundings, they're putting more on the phones so at least if that's where the guest focus is, they're still interacting with something Disney.

doctornick

I dunno. I don’t mind using my phone to do things as long as it has some impact on the actual physical environment. I.e. how Agent P would have physical props that did stuff.

I gather than the Star Wars activities on the phone don’t do a lot beyond some lights and sounds (someone correct me if I am wrong) and that’s a disappointment compared to the effects from Pirates and Agent P (and the Potter wands). It should be causing droids to move or doors to open to see things or mechanical items to activate.

JIMINYCR

Well you have to pay to enter the park... what you do with your time once you are in is up to you. All these in the park games were put in as fun things to do to entertain your kids ( or adults). I'm sure it was also thought that if enough played the games it would help cut down on attraction line building. I enjoyed the EP Kim Possible ones more than SMK.

note2001

I expect the same to happen to Pirates League down the road....It makes sense...
My kids adore the pirate maps and had them hanging on their walls for some time. They're cool as they evoke memories of what they made happen at each location. The cannon fire, the ship in the bottle, the storm... they loved talking about going back and doing it all again, and we did... over and over.

Getting rid of interactive games like this would be a mistake. Moving it over to phone tech makes no sense as there were no smartphones back in the pirate days.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

My kids adore the pirate maps and had them hanging on their walls for some time. They're cool as they involke memories of what they made happen at each location. The cannon fire, the ship in the bottle, the storm... they loved talking about going back and doing it all again, and we did... over and over.

Getting rid of interactive games like this would be a mistake. Moving it over to phone tech makes no sense as there were no smartphones back in the pirate days.
I think the problem could be with Sorcerer's and Pirates league was that they crossed paths in some spots and during busier days it got congested within carribbean plaza...

It's a shame they never expanded SoTMK into Tomorrowland. It would have been fun to fight against Zurg, Gantu, or any other space related villian..

note2001

I think the problem could be with Sorcerer's and Pirates league was that they crossed paths in some spots and during busier days it got congested within carribbean plaza...

It's a shame they never expanded SoTMK into Tomorrowland. It would have been fun to fight against Zurg, Gantu, or any other space related villian..
The potential is limitless. Yes, those battles would have been epic for my little guy who adored Buzz.

I'm wondering if this move has anything to do with layoffs. Tech folk don't come cheap.

CJR

It could be due to the phase out of Magic Bands. Pulling a Key to the World card out constantly could be risky since many people could lose them.

I doubt too many people will pay for Magic Bands.

ppete1975

From what I've read online, it seems to be kind of the opposite causality - because people wouldn't get their heads out of their phones to appreciate the beautiful surroundings, they're putting more on the phones so at least if that's where the guest focus is, they're still interacting with something Disney.
You ever see anything written in just the right way that it really puts your thoughts into words and also depresses you more?

Very well said.

ppete1975

We keep talking about things being cut, entertainment, plussing, little extras that made Disney sort of worth the price.
I get high touch things being removed.
But removal of interactivity with people (street performers), sorcerers, the constant things to see and do while on the way to your destination, the constant activity and things that made the park alive. \Wwe seem to keep forgiving them due to budget issues but..... the execs still make the same amount of money, still get bonus's, still get their extras. And dont forget youre still paying over 100-200 dollars a day per person (based on a one day pass and adding the park hopper and plus package for the higher range). They still have to provide some semblance of value for the cost.

Disney is a large company that could be making money in other places with cuts and they did get a "small" loan recently.

on a separate note: no parades and no fireworks (which youre still paying for), which from what i understand is due to keeping people from congregating due to social distancing ... but they have cavalcades that people still bunch together for (albeit smaller amount im sure but.. they arent that random)

doctornick

It could be due to the phase out of Magic Bands. Pulling a Key to the World card out constantly could be risky since many people could lose them.

I doubt too many people will pay for Magic Bands.
SOTMK did not use MBs (did it?), just the "key card" and then the playing cards.

The POTC game does use Magic Bands (or a KTTW card, etc) but has not come back online since COVID. I think what you are saying might make some sense for having POTC perhaps not return, but doesn't explain SOTMK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom