Sony introduces A7iii

fractal

Original Poster
Killer camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/81288...full-frame-mirrorless-with-a7r-iii-s-advances

Sony has announced the a7 III, a sub-$2000 image-stabilized 24MP full frame mirrorless camera that incorporates many of the features and improvements brought in with the a7R III. Primary among these are a BSI sensor, along with the larger capacity 'Z' battery, AF joystick and the EyeAF feature that impressed us so much on the 42MP model.

The company says the AF system is derived from the one in the a9 and performs twice as fast as the one on the a7 II. Its 693 AF points offer 93% frame coverage.

The a7 III gains the same 'Front End LSI' pre-processor that enabled many of the feature and speed improvements in the a7R III. This includes 10 frame per second shooting that can be combined with continuous AF and a buffer of up to 177 JPEG images.

24p 4K video is taken from a 6K region of the sensor with 30p shooting also available from a less oversampled region. The camera offers both S-Log2 and S-Log3 gamma curves for shooting wide dynamic range scenes or Hybrid Log Gamma for playing back directly on high dynamic range displays.

The Z-type battery allows the camera to offer 710 shots per charge (610 through the viewfinder): a little more than double that of its predecessor an the most of any mirrorless camera yet.

KeithVH

You know, there's a part of me that wouldn't mind one. But I'm missing three things - a full system architecture, weather-sealed bodies and lenses and some service equivalent to CPS.

Just think how cool it would be to have a new camera with the specs you list AND meets all the above requirements . . .

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You know, there's a part of me that wouldn't mind one. But I'm missing three things - a full system architecture, weather-sealed bodies and lenses and some service equivalent to CPS.

Just think how cool it would be to have a new camera with the specs you list AND meets all the above requirements . . .
What is missing from the full system now? I know early on that was the case, but it seems very well built out now.

I think weather sealing is also there. It is on the A9 and the high end lens options for sure.

They did also launch Pro Support
https://alphauniverse.com/prosupport/

KeithVH

Thank you for pointing out about the system. Jury is out on Pro Support, I'm very spoiled with CPS. Will still need to research the sealing issue, especially on the lenses. That could be a deal breaker.

fractal

Original Poster
Thank you for pointing out about the system. Jury is out on Pro Support, I'm very spoiled with CPS. Will still need to research the sealing issue, especially on the lenses. That could be a deal breaker.

Weather sealing on Sony body is not as robust as top of the line Nikon and Canon beasts; lenses are. However, one would have to reach the extremes of water exposure before the camera sealing failed.

If you require your camera to survive being "drowned in water by a hose" for a minute type of condition; stick with Canon. If you are concerned with shooting in the rain or snow, weather sealed Sony camera and lens will be fine taking proper precautions. My old NEX-7 was caught in a torrential downpour for over 10 minutes hand held and suffered no damage. I believe it's graded as "weather resistant".

Lighting system is not up to Canon/nikon levels but is quickly catching up. I use a Godox trigger and speedlight and have no problem synching, HSS and TLL. Sony released a new advanced speedlight today for the A7 series.

The jury is still out on Sony's new Pro support - Canon and Nikon have certainly set a high bar.

thomas998

Weather sealing on Sony body is not as robust as top of the line Nikon and Canon beasts; lenses are. However, one would have to reach the extremes of water exposure before the camera sealing failed.

If you require your camera to survive being "drowned in water by a hose" for a minute type of condition; stick with Canon. If you are concerned with shooting in the rain or snow, weather sealed Sony camera and lens will be fine taking proper precautions. My old NEX-7 was caught in a torrential downpour for over 10 minutes hand held and suffered no damage. I believe it's graded as "weather resistant".

Lighting system is not up to Canon/nikon levels but is quickly catching up. I use a Godox trigger and speedlight and have no problem synching, HSS and TLL. Sony released a new advanced speedlight today for the A7 series.

The jury is still out on Sony's new Pro support - Canon and Nikon have certainly set a high bar.
The lighting is the one thing has always boggled my mind with Sony... It never has seemed to work well. Over the years I've gotten several different Sony flashes for various Sony cameras and they just don't perform consistently. I can deal with a flash system that tends to over expose or underexpose so long as it stays consistent but I've taken multiple shot with a Sony not changing any setting and the shots taken with a flash will vary from over to under expose on the same subject for no apparent reason I've ever been able to determine. If I use a Sony camera now I don't even bother trying to use any flash because I don't trust it.... which is the best thing I can say about Nikon, their flash system just works as I would expect and is very consistent.

KeithVH

I have to admit there are times when I wish I had gone with Nikon. That's usually when I'm dealing with lighting issues. Face it, Canon's flash algorithms just aren't as good as Nikons.

I guess I'm starting to lean in BUT I've got a fair chunk invested in my L glass. And THAT has spoiled me. Guess it's time for some rental expense to do some comps.

BoarderPhreak

Meh. Sony... Great sensor - ergonomics of a brick.

I went Fujifilm a few years ago and I've been tickled pink at nearly every aspect. I shot Leica before that, and while RFs are neat, they can be a pain - especially if your eyesight ain't so good n'more.

sporadic

I love the new Godox stuff, took a TT350F with my X-T1 on our last trip. Also have a AD200, two of the TT600's and just picked up the XproF trigger. Was using the XT16 before but it's nice to have TTL and HSS with the AD200 now. Just found out about the SK300II and SK400II which are 300ws and 400ws AC strobes with integrated receivers priced at $99 and $120.

BoarderPhreak

I've got my eye on one of those TT350F flashes... $85 and it's so tiny.

In my Canon days, I had a 580EX with me. Used it for like, five shots though. LOL.

sporadic

I've got my eye on one of those TT350F flashes... $85 and it's so tiny.
In my Canon days, I had a 580EX with me. Used it for like, five shots though. LOL.

Here's a HSS test shot (1/1600) that I took when I got it. Haven't went through the pics from our last trip yet, but it got a healthy workout. Great bang for the buck and can work as a master for the Godox system as well.
TT350F HSS Test by smerrick, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom