Sony hits No.1 Overall Position in U.S. Full-frame Cameras

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
SAN DIEGO, Aug. 15, 2018 – Sony Electronics, Inc. – a worldwide leader in digital imaging and the world’s largest image sensor manufacturer – today announced that it has overtaken and held the No. 1 overall position in the United States full-frame interchangeable lens camera market in the first half of 2018, in both dollars and units (1). In fact, four out of every 10 full-frame cameras sold during this time period have come from the Sony brand (1).

Additionally, Sony has announced that within the overall mirrorless market, it has held the No. 1 position in both dollars and units for more than six years (2). These strong results can be attributed to the company’s leadership in transitioning the market from older DSLR technology to next-generation mirrorless cameras.

Much of Sony’s recent success has been driven by sales of the acclaimed α7R III and α7 III models, as well as the rapid adoption of the α9 camera amongst professional sports photographers and photojournalists. The brand’s extremely active community has played a major part as well, as evidenced by the strong engagement on key social platforms like Instagram, where the official @SonyAlpha page has just surpassed the coveted one million followers count.

As a celebration of these historic achievements, Sony has announced the launch of its extensive “Be Alpha” campaign that will connect creators of all types with the brand and its ever-growing roster of talented photographers and videographers.

“We’re extremely proud of achieving No. 1 overall share in Full-frame cameras in the US market, as well as holding a strong No. 1 share in the mirrorless market for six years running” said Neal Manowitz, vice president of Digital Imaging at Sony Electronics. “More than anything, we owe this to our community. It is our pleasure to create for you, the true creators. You pushed us to innovate, to change, to continually adapt, and your voice remains core to everything we do.”

Manowitz added, “To ‘Be Alpha’ is to be a leader, to be an innovator, to stand out amongst the crowd. It represents everything we stand for as a brand. Our campaign will celebrate the extended Sony community, while also shining a light on the topics that that we are most passionate about – diversity, conservation, equality and much more.”

Sony’s “Be Alpha” movement will be headlined by a series of community events in major markets throughout North America in 2018 and beyond, beginning with the official launch event on August 19, World Photography Day, in New York City. The campaign will encourage all creators to get involved by sharing their own “Be Alpha” content on all relevant social platforms while tagging #BeAlpha.

The “Be Alpha” campaign will also feature programs that are designed to foster growth in both the current and next generations of imaging professionals, the most notable of which being the flagship “Alpha Female” program. This multi-tiered, female exclusive program is Sony’s thoughtful response to the imaging industry’s well-documented diversity challenges. It will include a variety of grants and mentorship opportunities for female photographers and videographers, as well as the production of several large-scale industry events. Additional details to be released soon.

atjimfromdisney

Absolutely *sold* on Sony mirrorless systems. Been shooting the Sony a7rii and Sony a7ii for a while now and I couldn't be happier. Especially with the recent push for third party E-Mount lenses.

thomas998

Absolutely *sold* on Sony mirrorless systems. Been shooting the Sony a7rii and Sony a7ii for a while now and I couldn't be happier. Especially with the recent push for third party E-Mount lenses.
Have they gotten their flash system to work properly with the newest cameras? That was my issue with their original cameras from the first Alphas up through maybe the a6000, which is where I stopped being tempted to buy them anymore. Was bad enough that they would change their flash mount on a near regular basis but I would often get odd results when using their flashes with a shot being over or under exposed when taken of the same scene with the same settings. Was always forced to go manual if I was using a flash because their system just didn't seem to be consistent.... has that improved? I am tempted to give them another shot with the a7III but don't want to find out after the fact that their flash system hasn't improved.

atjimfromdisney

Have they gotten their flash system to work properly with the newest cameras? That was my issue with their original cameras from the first Alphas up through maybe the a6000, which is where I stopped being tempted to buy them anymore. Was bad enough that they would change their flash mount on a near regular basis but I would often get odd results when using their flashes with a shot being over or under exposed when taken of the same scene with the same settings. Was always forced to go manual if I was using a flash because their system just didn't seem to be consistent.... has that improved? I am tempted to give them another shot with the a7III but don't want to find out after the fact that their flash system hasn't improved.

I don't use flash a terrible amount, so it didn't have a say in the decision making process for me. When do use flash I use softbox/strobe lighting to a trigger. That's worked out well.

thomas998

I don't use flash a terrible amount, so it didn't have a say in the decision making process for me. When do use flash I use softbox/strobe lighting to a trigger. That's worked out well.
Understood. I don't use a flash that often myself, which is probably why I used to get so annoyed with the Sony's flash system. My Nikons never surprised me with bad exposures and since I don't use them often I really want to be able to use it on program mode without having to set things up.... probably because when I get forced to use a flash its because I'm somewhere that isn't conducive to set up time for a photo you just have to be quick for the moment. Although given the low noise at high ISO that I'm seeing on the A7III, maybe a flash would never really come into play.

fractal

Understood. I don't use a flash that often myself, which is probably why I used to get so annoyed with the Sony's flash system. My Nikons never surprised me with bad exposures and since I don't use them often I really want to be able to use it on program mode without having to set things up.... probably because when I get forced to use a flash its because I'm somewhere that isn't conducive to set up time for a photo you just have to be quick for the moment. Although given the low noise at high ISO that I'm seeing on the A7III, maybe a flash would never really come into play.

I use the Godox speedlight and trigger with good success on the A7r2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom