sony as200v vs gopro 4 silver

rpetronejr

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, we are heading to disney world in about a month and a half. Its about that time for the family to invest in a video camera (small kids). I am not looking for the traditional camcorder something light and easy to carry around the park but also take videos of family gatherings, etc.

Pro vs Con on these two devices - sony as200v vs gopro 4 silver Or something you would recommend. I am not really a action kind of guy but occasionally would use it snorking or on a water ride or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

thomas998

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, we are heading to disney world in about a month and a half. Its about that time for the family to invest in a video camera (small kids). I am not looking for the traditional camcorder something light and easy to carry around the park but also take videos of family gatherings, etc.

Pro vs Con on these two devices - sony as200v vs gopro 4 silver Or something you would recommend. I am not really a action kind of guy but occasionally would use it snorking or on a water ride or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

I'm not a huge fan of this type of video camera because in the end the are very limited in terms of zooming and I've never thought their ability to capture audio is as good as a camcorder... That said... the gopro isn't waterproof unless you add a case for it, so keep that in mind you are basically just buying a very small camcorder that is great for mounting on things but not that ergonomic when it comes to holding on to it and using it like a regular camcorder. The Sony is water resistant as is but would require a case if you were going to use it for snorkeling. To me the Sony is a little better in terms of ergonomics but then it is lacking in terms of capture rate, the Gopro Silver would let you captur 4k, but the Sony wouldn't... Now you can connect an external mic to the gopro but you need to get a special cable to do it...

Are you sure you wouldn't rather just get a small standard camcorder? I understanding using these small gopro size devices when you are attaching them to helmets or things like that but if you are going to be using it like a handheld video camera they aren't the greatest things to hold, kind of tiny unless you have small hands and fingers.

And realize these action style camcorders have very small sensors which means they are going to have almost zero depth of field...

If you are dead set on this style I would have to go with the Gopro... but if you are thinking of getting it wet get the case for it.

Jahona

I really only have experience using the GoPro Hero 4 Black which is a little different than the Silver in a few ways. The GoPro ecosystem has a huge range of first and third party attachments and accessories. Looking at both cameras, they seem to have about equal amounts of lens distortion. The Hero Silver may be a bit easier to use due to the built in screen over the Sony. Having to use a phone to change settings can be a bit of a pain when on the fly.

Here is a video comparing the two cameras.
EDIT: After watching the video there is a bit of a flaw with this video. The reviewer has GoPro Protune on which is supposed to be used in post production. The Sony really only has a default profile which is why the image looks better. You can use the GoPro in a standard mode which gives you a similar look to the Sony compared in this video.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom