Song of the South DVD...

FigmentJedi

Finally. I was waiting for them to figure that out. Putting it in context would of allowed it to be one of the Treasures DVD's a long time ago.

prberk

Anyone know why Roger Ebert believes it should not be released? As a film critic, I would think that he was be most interested in getting the film out there to be seen and evaluated on its own merit as a piece of art, dated or not.

If his reservation about releasing it is because it might offend certain people or come across as misrepresenting their cause, then this seems contrary to his stance on many other otherwise "controversial" films, not the least of which would be "Fahrenheit 9/11," which he championed as a great film, despite reservations by conservatives that is misrepresented them or the President.

I definitely think that "Song of the South" should be released, including any context that film historians or teachers may want to add. If it does engender discussions about race relations, isn't that a good thing? Those who ignore the past risk repeating it AND its problems....

Paul

xfkirsten

This is one of my favorite Disney films. I really hope it does come out, and this is good news to see that they're at least working on it!

However, a nagging part at the back of my mind keeps wondering if they will just keep saying they're working on it, and then never release it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom