Something new coming to the West Side

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm a local and I agree its just too hot to sit outside for a large majority of the year. Even on days when its not humid and say 80 degrees which sounds perfect, just walking around in it with the sun hitting you it wears on you and you just want to sit inside somewhere and cool down.

Obviously we are seeing something similar at Cosmic Rays.
I too share your opinion. I have also just never been a fan of eating outside. I will do it in a pinch, but given the option, I want climate control.

Kman101

I too share your opinion. I have also just never been a fan of eating outside. I will do it in a pinch, but given the option, I want climate control.

Yep

I hope Cosmic Rays turned up the AC. When I went inside in March to sit in the near empty seating where he plays it was just as hot there as it was outside

ABQ

Was it completely open air with no roof? I never went up there, so I have to ask. I ate at the Boathouse's bar out on the dock and was fine, but it's covered and has fans spinning around. That place would have more trouble on cold days rather than hot.

*Q*

An update at Splitsville I hadn't heard about:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...rings-splitsville-balcony-20170629-story.html

Splitsville Luxury Lanes, Disney Springs’ bowling alley/restaurant attraction, has enclosed its balcony space that overlooked the West Side neighborhood of the entertainment complex.

Turns out that Florida’s great outdoors wasn’t always so great for diners.

“We could only use it on days that weren’t too hot or days that weren’t too cold or on days that weren’t rainy,” says Ashley Evans, a Splitsville manager.

The changes include knocking down the outside/upstairs bar and its companion bar inside. The area was enclosed with floor-to-ceiling glass walls. Then, a larger bar was built in that space with eight new TVs, plus new furniture and carpet for the area, Evans says.

In the process, the 50,000-square-foot Splitsville gained more bar seating while maintaining about the same level of seats for dining, she says.

“It was such a great view, and we couldn’t utilize it because Florida weather is so unpredictable,” Evans says. “People come to Splitsville to escape the heat and to escape the rain.”

Customers are happy with the change, she says.

“People are loving it. Believe it or not, we do have a handful of regulars, even in a tourist area,” Evans says. “They’re loving the view. They never went up there before. … They always wanted to, but when it’s in the 90s, it’s not an ideal situation.”
The grand secret of Florida: nobody actually ever wants to be outside unless it's at the beach.

Jon81uk

Did we ever find out what the new anouncement was?

Yes. Wolfgang Puck on Westside has closed and will be rebuilt as a Spanish restaurant, Jaleo.

A new Wolfgang Puck will open next to the Coca-Cola store in Town Center. The Marketplace Puck Express doesn't change.

There are rumours of Bongo's going away, but nothing definite.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...olfgang-puck-cafe-layoffs-20170609-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...y-springs-new-restaurants-20170530-story.html

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, August 17. Construction walls now surround Wolfgang Puck's restaurant on the West Side.

IMG_9965.JPG

IMG_9967.JPG

djkidkaz

I think the West Side still needs some other great anchor to draw people down that way. I don't think these restaurants are it.

roj2323

Doubt
NBA and likely new show for Cirque space are a good start.
doubtful

If that were the case the area would have had plenty of traffic with the existing cirque and disney quest. Besides even with a brand new cirque show that won't help since the showings are all at night when the area desperately needs daytime attractions. Rotating events like themed art shows, food truck rally's, wine tastings, corporate outings, sport and other celebrity signings and perhaps even an outdoor concert venue is what's needed and what has worked in the past to drive guests to the far west side of disney springs. A hotel on that end with convention space wouldn't hurt either.

jt04

Doubt

doubtful

If that were the case the area would have had plenty of traffic with the existing cirque and disney quest. Besides even with a brand new cirque show that won't help since the showings are all at night when the area desperately needs daytime attractions. Rotating events like themed art shows, food truck rally's, wine tastings, corporate outings, sport and other celebrity signings and perhaps even an outdoor concert venue is what's needed and what has worked in the past to drive guests to the far west side of disney springs. A hotel on that end with convention space wouldn't hurt either.

More everything!

Disney Springs has tons more potential.

deWild

Doubt

doubtful

The parking lot(s) adjacent to Cirque are massive and could easily support an addition to Saratoga or a brand new complex. Especially with the parking garages complete. Is there anyone out there with suggestions for what they’d like to see on the West side?

Personally I’d love to see Disney build an Escape Room themed to various movies; maybe even villains?

SamN'Dean

The parking lot(s) adjacent to Cirque are massive and could easily support an addition to Saratoga or a brand new complex. Especially with the parking garages complete. Is there anyone out there with suggestions for what they’d like to see on the West side?

Personally I’d love to see Disney build an Escape Room themed to various movies; maybe even villains?

LOVE this idea! I've become addicted to escape rooms! I've already been to 6 different ones on I-Drive alone. The Prison break and Gold Rush at The Escape Game, and Under pressure at Escapology are some of the most totally IMMERsive escape rooms I've ever done, and just imagining what Disney- who often excels at immersion- could do with the concept really whets my appetite.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, July 25, 2020. This passage between Splitsville and Pop Gallery has been open for a couple of weeks, leading to alternate stairs to Orange garage. New pavement in the form of pavers and loose rock was installed. New concrete benches were added near the bottom of the staircase. Pop Gallery shoppers were lined up outside this morning prior to the store's opening.

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

DisneyDebRob

Photo update as of Saturday, July 25, 2020. This passage between Splitsville and Pop Gallery has been open for a couple of weeks, leading to alternate stairs to Orange garage. New pavement in the form of pavers and loose rock was installed. New concrete benches were added near the bottom of the staircase. Pop Gallery shoppers were lined up outside this morning prior to the store's opening.

View attachment 486335

View attachment 486336
I’m surprised with the loose rock. Disney very rarely does . With so many kids running around here’s hoping no one gets hurt. Very surprising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom