Something I don't get...

barnebd5

Original Poster
So as I look at many pictures of the new Pop Century Resort and I see that a giant Roger Rabbit in one of the areas, ok so here's what confuses me, I thought that they couldn't use Roger as a character anymore because of disagreements between Speildberg and Eisner. Did I miss something? Fill me in people if you know what's goin on

awallaceunc

I didn't think that was the case. I mean, I know they aren't on the best of terms, so nothing new would be developed with Roger, but I though Eisner just kind of let Roger go. I don't know for sure, though. I'd be interested in finding out!

-Aaron

Atta83

Well remember Jessica Rabbit is on a PI sign. So they must still have the rights in some way shape or form.

Woody13

Remember that Walt lost the rights to "Oswald The Lucky Rabbit". He swore that would never happen again. Hence, The Walt Disney Company NEVER gives up the rights to its characters.

That was a MAIN issue in the Pixar deal. Jobs wanted all rights to the Pixar movie characters returned to Pixar. Sorry, but Disney don't play that game. They paid good money for those characters. Disney is first and foremost a content company.

I am proud of the way Eisner handled the Pixar deal and I think Walt would be too.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Woody13
That was a MAIN issue in the Pixar deal. Jobs wanted all rights to the Pixar movie characters returned to Pixar. Sorry, but Disney don't play that game. They paid good money for those characters. Disney is first and foremost a content company.

I am proud of the way Eisner handled the Pixar deal and I think Walt would be too.

ah, now see; I've never heard the real reason behind the split before...i hate that the alliance was broken, but under THOSE circumstances, it was the best move for Disney. as much as i don't like Eisner, I have to give him props for that one.

Pioneer Hall

The Pixar deal problems stem from stubborness on both sides. Disney doesn't want Pixar to get the rights to their characters, but Disney doesn't want to give up money. Both ideas are understandable, but someone either has to give a little or no one will get anywhere (and unfortunately it will hurt Disney more).

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
but Disney doesn't want to give up money. Both ideas are understandable, but someone either has to give a little or no one will get anywhere (and unfortunately it will hurt Disney more).

hmm, yes, too true.

btw, this isn't pointed at anyone, but just so there's no confusion on what i said...when i said "the best move for Disney" i didn't mean business-wise. i meant it was keeping Walt's vision for the company in tact. ;)

Woody13

The Pixar deal problems stem from stubborness on both sides. Disney doesn't want Pixar to get the rights to their characters, but Disney doesn't want to give up money. Both ideas are understandable, but someone either has to give a little or no one will get anywhere (and unfortunately it will hurt Disney more).

Remember that Pixar has been on the open market for 6 months now and no other studio has made a distribution deal with them. I wonder why?

Also, the point of my post was just to make it clear that Disney does not give up their content and the movie studios know that to be the case and so does Steve Jobs.

Jobs knew from the start that when he asked Disney to give up the characters in the first Pixar movies, that it would be a deal breaker!

So, I would not characterize this as being stubborn on Jobs part. It was out of the ballpark impossible!:wave:

AndyP

I always thought that was a real shame, Disney Pixar make great films together, its not very good for either that they won't be making films together anymore. Disney should make its own version of PIXAR and continue to make this type of film!

davidUK

Disney should make its own version of PIXAR and continue to make this type of film!

They have, their first film is a CG movie called 'Chicken Little', The chciken who thought the sky was going to fall down! It's quite interesting actually it uses a cartoon render making the film look more like a cartoon and less real, unlike the surroundings in films like Nemo, this is a good ploy because it looses some of the 'coldness' people don't like about CG movies!

the trailer is at

www.disney.com/chickenlittle

David

arkfantasmic

here are my feelings on why eisner did the right thing with jobs and pixar. jobs wanted character rights and wanted to rework the deal on the next 2 films they are already making to fullfill the last reworked contract.so disney would give up hundreds of millions in box offive and licensing on something they already own just to get the right to distribute pixar films but have no control of characters in parks,rides etc.pixar can use the disney name and marketing machine to make billions while disney gets 10%,what a deal(sarcasim).meanwhile loyd braun and vanguard(i think) lined up to get on board with disney and make cg movies,valiant is the first release and sounds like a good concept.not every pixar film is going to be a huge hit not having the disney machine will hurt alot and jobs knows it. between disney and vanguard i hope we will see some quality movies.just my opinion on the matter.

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
ah, now see; I've never heard the real reason behind the split before...i hate that the alliance was broken, but under THOSE circumstances, it was the best move for Disney. as much as i don't like Eisner, I have to give him props for that one.

Why?? all the work was done by Pixar, disney was a distributor. Pixar created the characters, stories, animation, rendered it, butsted there butt. disney, distriibuted it, gets like 50% profits, and ownership. i can see why pixar would want to jump ship.
I like disney stuff, I had a friend that was asked to work for disney animation years ago, but he was told ANYTHING he does, would be disney property. he turned them down.

JEDI1138

If Walt were alive and running the company like he used to, we would not even be having this conversation, because like Flowers and Trees, Snow White, etc. Disney Studios would have been doing CG animation before Pixar ever got off the ground. Walt was always leading the pack, not jumping on someone elses band wagon, like others that are ruining, I mean running the company.

KevinPage

To get back to the original question: ROGER RABBIT

I'd like to know if someone can lend any insight into this. Roger Rabbit was added to Disneyland in what year? Is there a specific restriction on park rides but not displays for Roger Rabbit?

Or is this all just myth and Disney had decided not to add anything else Roger Rabbit related to the parks after ToonTown Spin?

imagineer boy

Originally posted by KevinPage
To get back to the original question: ROGER RABBIT

I'd like to know if someone can lend any insight into this. Roger Rabbit was added to Disneyland in what year?

Toon Town was added around 1993 and it opened with Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin. Roger Rabbit still marches in the DL parade now days.

awallaceunc

I read somewhere recently some conjecture that a RR attraction was in the works, or at least the think tank.

Whatever happened to that Car-Toon Spin?

-Aaron

Enderikari

Keep in mind that I am not sure... But I think Disney and ?Spielberg? had a big falling out, and he put some sort of kibosh on the project about three years ago..

brisem

Here's the latest Disney/Pixtar update:

Pixar's Jobs 'Flexible' on New Disney Deal

Tue Jun 8, 1:59 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters Industry to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pixar Animation Studios Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs (news - web sites) on Monday left open the door for a new film distribution deal with Walt Disney Co., following an overture from the entertainment giant last week, but said no such talks had begun between the two sides.

Asked in an interview on CNBC whether he would rethink a deal with Disney if there were management changes, Jobs said he was open to the possibility. Jobs cut off talks with Disney in January and has clashed with its chief executive, Michael Eisner, in the past.

"We try to stay flexible, we're willing to rethink anything. But so far our phone hasn't rung with any new thoughts from anybody," Jobs said.

Disney and Pixar have produced a string of computer animated hits, from "Toy Story" to "Finding Nemo," and their last collaboration, "Cars," is set for release next year.

"In 2006 we will likely be distributing films with another partner. We're in the process of getting to know the other studios in Hollywood and they're being very gracious," Jobs said.

Eisner said on June 2 that he thought there was still a chance for a new Pixar deal, although he also said there were no talks between the companies.

Reuters/VNU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom