Rumor Something Guardians of the Galaxy may be coming to Hollywood Studios

Movielover

The only Guardians Mission Breakout thing I want to happen to Tower of Terror at Studious is they add more drops. Guardians feels like it has double the drops than Tower.

They actually have close to the same amount, it's just that Guardians spreads it's drops over the the entire ride profile instead of all at the end like Tower. This thus changes the tone from the slow buildup and suspenseful release of Tower to the more fun bombastic tone of Guardians.

rle4lunch

But none of the suspense.

MB is just a more entertaining ride for me. Plus the elevator cars shake much more violently before a drop at DCA (which has always been the case for me) than at DHS for some reason, which adds to the suspense factor for me. AND, DCA Tot/MB feels like a much longer ride than DHS's ToT has ever felt like (don't include the ride thru path of looking at wooden dolls and fake eyes with living room curtains for eyelids). ToT is fun, but definitely not as much as MB. Which is sad, because all they had to do would be to enhance the ToT theme a bit and could've gotten the same result. But alas, here we are. I accept MB as better than ToT, but also miss Tot in DCA.

999th Happy Haunt

MB is just a more entertaining ride for me. Plus the elevator cars shake much more violently before a drop at DCA (which has always been the case for me) than at DHS for some reason, which adds to the suspense factor for me. AND, DCA Tot/MB feels like a much longer ride than DHS's ToT has ever felt like (don't include the ride thru path of looking at wooden dolls and fake eyes with living room curtains for eyelids). ToT is fun, but definitely not as much as MB. Which is sad, because all they had to do would be to enhance the ToT theme a bit and could've gotten the same result. But alas, here we are. I accept MB as better than ToT, but also miss Tot in DCA.
Agree to disagree. The Florida Tower is the pinnacle of Imagineering.

No Name

The only Guardians Mission Breakout thing I want to happen to Tower of Terror at Studious is they add more drops. Guardians feels like it has double the drops than Tower.

That’s the case because they changed the pacing of the ride at DCA. Since DHS’s tower has a separate drop shaft, it wouldn’t be possible without reducing capacity.

BubbaisSleep

Which is sad, because all they had to do would be to enhance the ToT theme a bit and could've gotten the same result. But alas, here we are. I accept MB as better than ToT, but also miss Tot in DCA.
Completely agree. Count me in the "MB is way more fun but TOT has storytelling that was perfection." A more thrilling ride could have been easily done on TOT if they wanted too.

randyjackson

keep in mind the Marvel Studios is going to keep developing their B/C/D list characters into A list ones, Guardians, Doctor Strange, Black Panther and most of the avengers were no where near as popular a decade ago vs nowadays. Most of these lesser known characters should be on the table (Eternals, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, etc)

Josh Hendy

I can see one good movie and a good sequel getting one good ride, but building an entire land or building multiple rides across multiple parks is hard to justify except in rare cases where there is a really enduring franchise such as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

The Mummy was a fun movie but does it need more than a coaster? I consider GotG to be similar. Hit movies are treated like trash by the studios anyways when they reboot them with younger actors and (flavor of the month) directors. The Mummy is an example, Jurassic Park and even Star Wars to some extent. Among many others.

Marvel Land works at IOA but aren't all of the characters there created by Stan Lee? They live in the same visual and moral universe. I'm not expert on the current Marvel universe but is there anything that really hangs together artistically in it any more? Popular comic books and hit movies are great, I'm not deriding them. I just don't see how something like GotG is so compelling that it needs both a (trashy looking) overlay of the Twilight Zone, plus a brand new coaster with a butt-ugly ride building sitting nearly beside Spaceship Earth, plus ... do we really need more?

No Name

I can see one good movie and a good sequel getting one good ride, but building an entire land or building multiple rides across multiple parks is hard to justify except in rare cases where there is a really enduring franchise such as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

The Mummy was a fun movie but does it need more than a coaster? I consider GotG to be similar. Hit movies are treated like trash by the studios anyways when they reboot them with younger actors and (flavor of the month) directors. The Mummy is an example, Jurassic Park and even Star Wars to some extent. Among many others.

Marvel Land works at IOA but aren't all of the characters there created by Stan Lee? They live in the same visual and moral universe. I'm not expert on the current Marvel universe but is there anything that really hangs together artistically in it any more? Popular comic books and hit movies are great, I'm not deriding them. I just don't see how something like GotG is so compelling that it needs both a (trashy looking) overlay of the Twilight Zone, plus a brand new coaster with a butt-ugly ride building sitting nearly beside Spaceship Earth, plus ... do we really need more?

Bob Chapek was appalled to learn that there were no Marvel theme park attractions at Disney theme parks, and none in the works other The Iron Man Experience in Hong Kong, even though the company owned Marvel for 6-7 years at that point. So he wanted to move quickly, and had DCA’s tower “reimagined” to coincide with GotG Vol. 2’s release. GotG was also the franchise chosen because there were similar plans for DHS’s tower, and that’s one of the few Marvel properties they can use in WDW. Thankfully that plan didn’t come to fruition, but the directive remained, WDW needs a Marvel attraction, and so that’s why the GotG coaster is being built.

Endgame is the highest-grossing movie of all time and the GotG characters are very relevant. Marvel is probably more popular than Star Wars at this point. I’m not defending their decisions, but the popularity is there.

Even when the IP’s popularity fades, it’ll be fine. The many people who don’t know or care for Aerosmith love RnRC. People who don’t know or care for Avatar love Flight of Passage. Same for Tron. Same for ToT and Splash Mountain though those are slightly different cases.

Point being I’m more concerned about ride quality than property used. That is what will ultimately face the test of time.

Josh Hendy

Even when the IP’s popularity fades, it’ll be fine. The many people who don’t know or care for Aerosmith love RnRC. People who don’t know or care for Avatar love Flight of Passage. Same for Tron. Same for ToT and Splash Mountain though those are slightly different cases.
This very true. Avatar was the biggest grossing movie of all time and it was already pretty faded before it was conceived of being dropped into DAK.

But as for GotG, if yet another ride is dropped into DHS then somewhat absurdly, half of all North American Disney parks would have a major attraction based on a couple of pretty mindless and forgettable action movies. Even Mickey only gets a minor part in a 20 year old 3D movie and a drive-by appearance in a trackless ride.

Josh Hendy

Re-reading my capsule review of GotG I may have been unduly harsh and over simplistic. Let me try to come up with a more nuanced and fair review before the discussion moves on:

"A ragtag team of wisecracking heroes and a bunch of bad guys spend 2 hours of CG mayhem trying to kill each other to the sound of 1970s B-list pop songs."

An enduring classic. More rides please!

lazyboy97o

Point being I’m more concerned about ride quality than property used. That is what will ultimately face the test of time.
This though is a rather lousy test in regards to theme park attractions because the theme is ultimately defined, at a minimum, at the land level, not the attraction level. You might have a collection of great attractions but that itself doesn’t make a theme park.

No Name

This though is a rather lousy test in regards to theme park attractions because the theme is ultimately defined, at a minimum, at the land level, not the attraction level. You might have a collection of great attractions but that itself doesn’t make a theme park.

I absolutely agree.

Rodj

ToT is fun, but definitely not as much as MB. Which is sad, because all they had to do would be to enhance the ToT theme a bit and could've gotten the same result. But alas, here we are. I accept MB as better than ToT, but also miss Tot in DCA.
They did do this for the Paris version, you can find videos of each 3 stories online.

Brer Oswald

Aren’t they allowed to use the Thanos character in Florida? Why not do something with him instead of always depending on Guardians? He was by far the breakout thing to come from the MCU in the last decade.

No Name

I saw a Loki t-shirt for sale in Magic Kingdom, so I guess either he can be used, or they hope a Universal exec doesn’t see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom