Somehow the Submarines Will Return July 25th

el_super

For those wishing for those Subs and Autopia to go, what do you have in mind for that area? What else could work both in terms of kinetics and aesthetics, as well as overall good quality attractions and offerings? Because I can’t think of anything, especially when considering the poor choices Disney continues to make for the parks.

I like the lagoon and want the water to stay, but the Submarine experience is so poor by 21st Century standards that they can't keep the same ride.

The easiest replacement I could see would be bringing over the Nautilus Walk-thru from Paris or even resurrecting the Nautilus restaurant concept. I also think the Verne theme would work well to bridge the transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.

The rest of it though: Monorail, Autopia and the Subs show building, should be a new modern attraction. Fantasyland or Tomorrowland... Doesn't really matter to me.

Anjin

2 ideas:

- The bad one: the next Avatar film is supposed to take place underwater. Talk about synergy!
- The wishful thinking idea: they could dust of Tony Baxter's Discovery Bay design and build an appropriately sized version facing the lagoon. Keep the subs or build a new water ride out front.

DavidDL

One of the ideas I'd kicked around in my head for Tomorrowland (before Pixar Pier was a thing), was the concept of it being broken into 3 distinct zones: one themed to transportation, one to space exploration and one that was a sort of 'vintage Tomorrowland' where inventors took ideas of the past and added a futuristic twist to them.

Ideas for attractions at the entrance to the land (at the time) included Star Tours and the Peoplemover, to play into the transportation theme. -and I know it wouldn't seem feasible (hey, I'm blue sky-ing here), but I'd also repurpose the old Buzz building and re-route the Monorail track to have it pick up and drop off here. This would create a sort of "transportation center" that would also allow folks who enter it to cross to the old Peoplemover loading platform, too.

Then, moving the Astro Jets back where the belonged and converting the the old Innoventions building into a Mission: SPACE type of experience. Thereby having that midsection of Tomorrowland become based around preparing and training Guests for "space exploration", with Astro Jets, Mission: SPACE and Space Mountain.

Finally, we'd come to the corner which features Autopia, the Disneyland Railroad and the Subs. This area would have been re-themed into some sort of "Ideas of the Past but with the tech of Tomorrow" sort of expo. For each gimmick you have:

Autopia - Based on cars of the past but now so "advanced" and "safe" that even children can drive them!
Disneyland Railroad - A steam powered engine, now with the ability to travel through time!
Submarines - Submarines with sonars so advanced, they can translate what the fish say into English so we can understand them! (thus, allowing them to keep the Nemo theme that I realistically know Chapek would want)

So basically, keeping each of the attractions "the same" but maybe giving the entire area/land a more cohesive refresh.

Just my Blue Sky thoughts.

CaptinEO

My idea:

Combine Space Mountain with the people mover track so you have both an indoor and outdoor portion. It can be your reentry to earth.

Rich T

Im all for them getting rid of subs/autopia and redoing that entire section of the park
I used to want that, too. And then Bobs came along.

Bobs: “I see you back there in the corner, Imagineers, working on something original—STOP THAT!!! Make it Marvel and make it a toy commercial! And add upcharge opportunities or YOU’RE FFFFFFIRED!!!!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom