Some sad news - what can we do?

figmentisgreat

My boyfriend and I are leaving for Disney tomorrow. Two days ago, his uncle from California (we're in NJ) had to go to the hospital. He is 80 years old and passed out/had a seziure, etc. and they also found something else wrong with him requiring emergency surgery. He came through the surgery OK, but then today we got a phone call saying that his kidneys may be failing and that things don't look good.

My boyfriend decided to still go on the trip, but we realize that if, god forbid, something happens while we are away, we will cut our trip short in order for my boyfriend to fly out for the funeral.

That being said, my mother paid for this trip as a graduation present for me and understandably doesn't want the money completely lost. Does Disney have a policy about this?

Thanks so much, and please keep my boyfriend's uncle in your prayers.

DisneyPrincess5

Hi there :)
So sorry to hear about your boyfriends uncle...I wish him the best.

I don't know how this works really, but is it too late to purchase vacation insurance?
You may want to call and find out.

Upvote 0

shaelyn

I think you would have to have vacation insurance, either through Disney or possibly another outlet. Did you purchase it when you booked?

I'm so sorry to hear about your boyfriend's uncle. I will send him tons of good vibes.

Upvote 0
My boyfriend and I are leaving for Disney tomorrow. Two days ago, his uncle from California (we're in NJ) had to go to the hospital. He is 80 years old and passed out/had a seziure, etc. and they also found something else wrong with him requiring emergency surgery. He came through the surgery OK, but then today we got a phone call saying that his kidneys may be failing and that things don't look good.

My boyfriend decided to still go on the trip, but we realize that if, god forbid, something happens while we are away, we will cut our trip short in order for my boyfriend to fly out for the funeral.

That being said, my mother paid for this trip as a graduation present for me and understandably doesn't want the money completely lost. Does Disney have a policy about this?

Thanks so much, and please keep my boyfriend's uncle in your prayers.
So sorry to hear this. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I also think insurance is your best bet for this situation. Just be sure you know exactly what your insurance package covers because many travel situations allow for you to cut a trip short and get your money refunded if you have a death in the immediate family but would not include an uncle.

If you booked through a TA and they selected an insurance package for you it is probably one that offers the best coverage for you but call, explain the situation and have them completely explain your insurance package.

If you don't have insurance, get it right away. It is not necessarily up to Disney whether you get money back but is dependant on your insurance.

Keep all your travel and insurance documents together, make photocopies of them, take one set with you and leave one set at home with a relative that you can easily contact. Keep all phone numbers for your insurance package available in case you need them and keep the phone number for your TA handy as well in case you need help getting to Cali.

Hope everything goes well, best of luck and sending good thoughts your way.

Upvote 0

smk

I think it is too late for trip insurance, but call to ask. Most trip insurance policys cover the death of a person going on a trip but not a relative. Actually, trip insurance covers very little of any emergency except the death of one of the people on the trip. I have no idea what a premium would be so late in the game either. If his uncle is already sick and it appears life threatning, the insurance may consider it a preexisting condition and not cover the expenses you would incur to leave your vacation. I think your best bet is to go, and if the worst happens ask for a refund. Disney would have to be heartless to refuse a request like that, bad karma.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I think it is too late for trip insurance, but call to ask. Most trip insurance policys cover the death of a person going on a trip but not a relative. Actually, trip insurance covers very little of any emergency except the death of one of the people on the trip. I have no idea what a premium would be so late in the game either. If his uncle is already sick and it appears life threatning, the insurance may consider it a preexisting condition and not cover the expenses you would incur to leave your vacation. I think your best bet is to go, and if the worst happens ask for a refund. Disney would have to be heartless to refuse a request like that, bad karma.

My insurance covers trip cancellation and interruption for the reason of a family member who is not traveling with you being hospitialized or for death and includes parents, step parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, neices and nephews.

You can purchase this up to 24 hours prior to departure and covers unsused portion of hotel, flights and rental cars, also covers economy airfare back to departure point as well as internet, phone calls, meals and taxi services used due to emergency.

This is the basic coverage and costs me about $30 for a one week trip.

The only thing that may not be in the OP's favour is that it is a pre-existing medical condition which is not covered under a lot of insurance.

That's why you definately need to know what the coverage is.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Also see if the credit card used to pay for the trip has travel insurance. If so, it's probably not a lot but would at least be something.

I'm so sorry to hear about his uncle, I hope it all works out for everyone.

Upvote 0

heliumalias

How long's your trip? If it's not too long (say 1 week) then you'll probably be fine (based on the fact that it can take the best part of a week to organise a funeral assuming there's no post-mortem).

Upvote 0

westie

It happened to us. Mother became very ill. We called disney and were able to postpone the trip for up to, I think 100 days? Don't shoot me if I'm wrong. We were supposed to go first week of nov. and ended up going second week of jan. And the parks were so empty you could walk with arms outstretched and not hit anyone. We got a walk up reservation in Le Cellier. Its jan. from now on! Good look, hope this helps.

Upvote 0

seashoreCM

ONce you begin the trip, refunding airfare doesn't do any good since you need to return home somehow, whether as planned or unexpectedly earlier.

When you are 3 days into the trip, the cost of the tickets is pretty much consumed normally since the remaining days cost something like three dollars apiece.

I don't think Disney would be particularly difficult refunding unused days on a pro-rated basis after you have been there for a few nights ahd then check out early.

Or would you stay the full length of the package if your boyfriend left early?

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

Upvote 0

figmentisgreat

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your prayers, and sorry for the delay in my response.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend's uncle passed away on Sunday night - we received the call while walking through Liberty Square during EMH. He died peacefully, and lived a long life. We came home on Tuesday morning as planned, my boyfriend flew to Arizona on Wednesday, and the funeral was Thursday. He just got home, so I'll see him tomorrow to help him settle in.

Thank you again everybody for your thoughts and prayers, and you will get a trip report from me soon :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom