Some perfect choices for CEO

Oscar

Original Poster
I had been thinking of either Ann Sarnoff, who step down from Warner Bros., or Jennifer Lee as the next Disney CEO, if Bob Chapek resigns for many bad decisions.

mharrington

I had been thinking of either Ann Sarnoff, who step down from Warner Bros., or Jennifer Lee as the next Disney CEO, if Bob Chapek resigns for many bad decisions.
Sadly, I don't think he is resigning since the board of directors decided not to vote him out.

In the Parks
Yes
Tom Staggs as CEO would be fantastic but I believe his other commitments would prevent him from taking on such a role. Ideally, someone from outside the company (like an Eisner or Wells situation) might be the best route. Hopefully someone with a creative background.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sadly, I don't think he is resigning since the board of directors decided not to vote him out.
Him resigning vs the board not voting him out are two very different things. He can resign on his own (or be recommended to do so by others) without the board having a "vote".

Now will he do it is another question, I can't say as it depends on if he wants to weather this current storm. But with now less than a year left on his current contract I would say its less likely.

As I mentioned in another thread in my opinion its more likely that the board won't renew his contract and just say that they are thankful for his service during the very difficult time of the pandemic.

So we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

mharrington

As I mentioned in another thread in my opinion its more likely that the board won't renew his contract and just say that they are thankful for his service during the very difficult time of the pandemic.

So we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Since the board decided to keep him on, I have a feeling they will renew his contract.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Since the board decided to keep him on, I have a feeling they will renew his contract.
I think you're reading too much into things. There is no indication that the Board is either 1. Happy with Chapek in the last couple months, or 2. That they will renew his contract at this point.

Again we'll just have to wait and see.

mharrington

I think you're reading too much into things. There is no indication that the Board is either 1. Happy with Chapek in the last couple months, or 2. That they will renew his contract at this point.

Again we'll just have to wait and see.

If the board is not happy with Chapek, why would they not follow the desires of the shareholders who all voted against him? The company actually sent out ballots on the matter. It sounds rather contradictory to not be happy with Chapek and yet still vote to keep him on, don't you think?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If the board is not happy with Chapek, why would they not follow the desires of the shareholders who all voted against him? The company actually sent out ballots on the matter. It sounds rather contradictory to not be happy with Chapek and yet still vote to keep him on, don't you think?
94% of shareholders voted to re-elect him to the board. Meaning only 6% voted against him.

So an overwhelming majority of shareholders decided to keep him around.

Now again that is not to say the board is happy with him. We don't know how they feel about him in recent months.

The point is we'll see what happens over the course of the next year. If they renew his contract, well then we know they are happy with his performance and how he is running the company. But if they don't renew his contract then we know they aren't happy with how he is running the company and have decided to move on.

Now all of this doesn't preclude Chapek from deciding to resign on his own. He still could do that, if he felt it was needed.

Again we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

mharrington

94% of shareholders voted to re-elect him to the board. Meaning only 6% voted against him.

So an overwhelming majority of shareholders decided to keep him around.

Now again that is not to say the board is happy with him. We don't know how they feel about him in recent months.

The point is we'll see what happens over the course of the next year. If they renew his contract, well then we know they are happy with his performance and how he is running the company. But if they don't renew his contract then we know they aren't happy with how he is running the company and have decided to move on.

Now all of this doesn't preclude Chapek from deciding to resign on his own. He still could do that, if he felt it was needed.

Again we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Even if they don't renew his contract, or if he does leave on his own, everyone and everything will still suffer in the meantime. I don't know when his contract is up for renewal, but I'm pretty sure things are going to get worse before they get better. That is, if they do choose not to renew.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Even if they don't renew his contract, or if he does leave on his own, everyone and everything will still suffer in the meantime. I don't know when his contract is up for renewal, but I'm pretty sure things are going to get worse before they get better. That is, if they do choose not to renew.

I’m not sure what you mean “everyone and everything will suffer”. Can you give examples of how you personally are suffering by Chapek remaining CEO?

His current contract is slated to end in early 2023, February I believe. So about 10 months from now.

mharrington

I’m not sure what you mean “everyone and everything will suffer”. Can you give examples of how you personally are suffering by Chapek remaining CEO?

I feel for the people who work there and for Pixar, whom Chapek has also alienated. Plus, I have a trip coming up to Disneyland, but I'm not happy about Genie Plus, which is not only costly to use, but you can't use it on the same ride twice. It's really hard to figure out. Fastpass was much simpler to use and free besides. Chapek is greedy and has no respect for the company he is running. All he cares about is making as much as money as possible. If people here are not personally suffering, maybe they shouldn't be complaining about him, here or anywhere.

His current contract is slated to end in early 2023, February I believe. So about 10 months from now.

Again, there's no telling what could happen between now and then.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I feel for the people who work there and for Pixar, whom Chapek has also alienated. Plus, I have a trip coming up to Disneyland, but I'm not happy about Genie Plus, which is not only costly to use, but you can't use it on the same ride twice. It's really hard to figure out. Fastpass was much simpler to use and free besides. Chapek is greedy and has no respect for the company he is running. All he cares about is making as much as money as possible. If people here are not personally suffering, maybe they shouldn't be complaining about him, here or anywhere.
So then not "everyone and everything will suffer", because its not really affecting anyone "outside" of the company.

As for your trip to Disneyland, you don't have to use Genie+. No one is forcing you to use it. By some accounts wait times are lower in standby because the free fastpass is gone. So maybe you consider doing standby instead, and only use Genie+/Lighting Lane on the bigger E Ticket type attractions like Rise of the Resistance or Radiator Springs Racers.

As for him specifically being "greedy". Well that is your opinion. I'm not defending the guy, but at some point Disney was likely going to do this no matter who was CEO. A majority of other theme parks in the industry have been moving over to a paid fastpass/front of line system, so it was just a matter of time before Disney did too. Nothing free lasts forever, this had actually been discussed around various Disney fan sites long before Chapek became CEO.

As for other people complaining, well that is what happens on a Disney fan site or really anywhere on the internet. Its not going to stop even if they aren't personally affected. I know you take everything literally my friend due to you being on the spectrum, but the forums like this are not to be taken literally as I've told you many times in the past.

Again, there's no telling what could happen between now and then.

Yes of course there is no telling what could happen. I mean the whole world could blow up between now and then. But in reality there will unlikely be much that happens in regard to Disney between now and at least D23 in September. And then everyone will be talking about whatever announcements come out of that for the next 3-6 months after D23. Which will lead us right up to when his contract is expected to end, at which time we'll see if it gets renewed or not.

mharrington

As for your trip to Disneyland, you don't have to use Genie+. No one is forcing you to use it. By some accounts wait times are lower in standby because the free fastpass is gone. So maybe you consider doing standby instead, and only use Genie+/Lighting Lane on the bigger E Ticket type attractions like Rise of the Resistance or Radiator Springs Racers.

I don't want to do standby if I can help it. I have never been fond of standing in line, which is why I had mostly good things to say about Fastpass. The Single Rider option was another positive, but that's gone now, too. Genie Plus would force you to use standby if you wanted to repeat an attraction you already did, which I find ridiculous.

There was a reason why, before Fastpass, the guides told you when to go to avoid crowds, and that was typically during an off-season. Now I don't think there will be what you could consider an off-season again. I'm going late in May, just before Memorial Day, incidentally.

As for him specifically being "greedy". Well that is your opinion. I'm not defending the guy, but at some point Disney was likely going to do this no matter who was CEO. A majority of other theme parks in the industry have been moving over to a paid fastpass/front of line system, so it was just a matter of time before Disney did too. Nothing free lasts forever, this had actually been discussed around various Disney fan sites long before Chapek became CEO.

Why then do people complain about him?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't want to do standby if I can help it. I have never been fond of standing in line, which is why I had mostly good things to say about Fastpass. The Single Rider option was another positive, but that's gone now, too. Genie Plus would force you to use standby if you wanted to repeat an attraction you already did, which I find ridiculous.

There was a reason why, before Fastpass, the guides told you when to go to avoid crowds, and that was typically during an off-season. Now I don't think there will be what you could consider an off-season again. I'm going late in May, just before Memorial Day, incidentally.
Single rider is still available, not sure why you think its not. Its available on 3 attractions in DL and 5 in DCA -

They really only removed it from Indiana Jones and Space Mountain. So maybe that is why you think its gone. But its still available on all other attractions it was previously available on.

As for standby, there is nothing wrong with it. You may not like it, but there is nothing wrong with it.

But we've gotten way off topic, so you can DM if you want to continue this discussion.

Why then do people complain about him?

That is a longer discussion best not had in this thread as again its off topic. But just know that people complained about Iger and Eisner too.

Last edited:

TP2000

Tom Staggs as CEO would be fantastic but I believe his other commitments would prevent him from taking on such a role. Ideally, someone from outside the company (like an Eisner or Wells situation) might be the best route. Hopefully someone with a creative background.

Tom Staggs was described by the Huffington Post as "an oddly waifish man of anemic personality".

Ouch. :in pain:

If the Huffington Post had put that in print about me, I would probably go into hiding. Which is what Tom Staggs appears to have done.

I'm not at all convinced there is anyone on Disney's Burbank campus that can take over succesfully. The kids seem to like Kevin Fiege (sp?), and I agree that a creative type desperately needs to take over. But it seems to me that if Disney is to right its ship and survive further into the 21st century, they need to look beyond Burbank right now for senior leadership.

Because what they've been doing for the past couple years isn't working.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom