Solo Traveler -- Running the numbers on Free Dining Package vs. Room Only

JohnD

Original Poster
Okay, here's the deal. I'm traveling solo. I have a garden view room-only rate at POFQ with approx 20% discount for 9/29-10/5. For 6 nights, with tax, etc., that comes to approx $1,000. I already have a Weekday Select Pass voucher which I will exchange upon arrival for the pass. The one-year clock on the pass starts 9/29.

By contrast, I just priced on the WDW website a garden view for POR with the same timeframe on the free dining plan. Six nights is $1,600. But I would need to purchase additional tickets, right? Even though I already have an AP. So let's say I purchase a Florida Resident 3-day ticket. With tax, that comes to another $222. So, now we're up to $1,822 with free dining.

With my room only rate of $1,000, I would need to spend up to another $800 in dining for myself to match the "free dining" plan. I think I come out better paying for the meals I want, even with several ADRs, including LeCellier and HBD, and grazing F&W booths.

What do others think?

Mukta

Did you apply the AP discount to your room? I always save a little extra money there.

You would have to buy tickets to get free dining. If you don't use the tickets, you can upgrade them to an AP next year.

JohnD

Original Poster
Did you apply the AP discount to your room? I always save a little extra money there.

You would have to buy tickets to get free dining. If you don't use the tickets, you can upgrade them to an AP next year.

Actually, I began with a AAA discount (15%), then applied for the FR discount. I think AP discount is about the same. Decided not to purchase tickets. I'll just go room-only and pay OOP.

Mukta

As an AP holder, I do room only also. Call and ask about the AP discount though. It is usually a bit more than all of the other discounts.

JohnD

Original Poster
I always did AP room discount and TiW for meals. It was always cheaper than free dining.

Yeah. Thinking about purchasing TiW upon arrival. Although I'm a Florida Resident, I'm also an AP holder, so can get it for $25 less ($100).

Poofiesdream

I would do the room discount. We too have a select weekday pass and live in Florida. To get the free food I thought you had to but a two day full price pass. Didn't think the 3 day Fl Resident pass one your could use. Once you get the two day tickets you could upgrade them but that's all. Unless you are planning on a sit down dinner every night even then I don't think its worth it.

Mukta

Yeah. Thinking about purchasing TiW upon arrival. Although I'm a Florida Resident, I'm also an AP holder, so can get it for $25 less ($100).
I love my TiW card. I tend to eat appetizers and wine at TS meals, so it is a great deal for me vs the dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom