Solo - A Star Wars Story SPOILER-Filled Thread (Reviews and Discussion)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
And the reviews...

1527351700920.png

Phroobar

I saw Solo a Star Wars story last night. I enjoyed it. It was good solid western with lots of action and twists. You see growth in the solo character and his growing friendship with Chewie. I like how he starts out very optimistic and how he learns to be a smuggler and pull of heists. It's not an epic movie like the trilogies so that was refreshing. I'd prefer smaller one off Star Wars movies. It was a good solid movie that was fun and cleaver. It even had a good FU to Lucas at the end regarding who shot first. Lando and his droid co-pilot definitely stole the show. It was cool to see the Falcon all clean and the little changes Lando to it. The movie is worth seeing regardless of the internet trolls that think its hip to hate all things Star Wars. Ron Howard did a great job pulling this movie off.

I thought that this movie was pretty good. I'm not sure it was a necessary installment, but I did really like it. It was a fun movie and I thought that the Kessel region was really nice...especially the visuals.

I thought Alden Ehrenreich did okay as Han Solo. He wasn't an bad as I was probably anticipating....and part of that is my fandom for Harrison Ford. Just very big shoes for any actor to try and fill. Initially I thought the hair was all wrong, but looking back at pics of Han Solo from Star Wars, his hair is pretty close. I do think they should've possibly attempted a few more mannerisms that Harrison Ford brought to the character though...would've helped to make him a more believable, younger version of Han.

I did think Donald Glover did really well as Lando. When he was first introduced his voice was strikingly close to Billy Dee Williams. I think as we continued to get to know the character, he sounded less like Williams, but my initial reaction was surprise when I heard him talk. He was an amusing character and I did enjoy his time on the screen.

Beckett was a decent character as well, but as with most famous faces...I identify Woody with many other characters and that almost always becomes a minor distraction for me. His character though was decent and I figured there would a double cross somewhere along the line. It was mentioned that he was also famous for taking down a prequel/Clone Wars bounty hunter.

It's always nice to see Warwick Davis show up in a Star Wars movie as well.

As for Maul, I knew it was him before they even cut to his face. According to IMDB, it was Ray Park in makeup, but it also credits Sam Witwer who happens to voice him for the Clone Wars/Rebels series. I knew the voice as soon as he spoke...and I totally, but quietly...geeked out. His story as a criminal "overlord" or what nots comes from previous stories which if I remember correctly were made mention of during both the later Clone Wars episodes, some of the Rebels episodes and comics. Unfortunately...if you followed Rebels at all, you know what eventually happens to him.

Good movie and worth the couple bucks and time I spent (Ive seen plenty of people complain about the waste of their life and money, so I figured I'd better let everyone know that it was worth mine). I do plan on seeing it again fairly soon at a DBox theater near Pittsburgh...closer to 4D than 3D.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I want this movie to crash and burn. I don't care if it is a good movie or not. I want Kathleen gone.

I refuse to go see it. After TLJ, I am done with the direction they are going. TFA wasn't great, but it was fun. Rogue was ok, but I think, personally, a lot of fans give it a pass because of how great the ending 20 minutes was...but, TLJ was just a slap in the face.

"Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

The movie told the fans what to do. It seems I am not alone...

Momocon is going on right now, and I did think about going down there to see what other fans think. I suspect I'll find some who liked TLJ (there is stuff to like, I concede)...but, overall, this is a bastardization of the franchise that needs to suffer to force a regrouping. They did ok with the TV shows, I don't see why they are having so much trouble with the movies.

Oh...that's right...Kathleen.

(goes off to blame Meg a bit as well)

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That said, I find it amusing to have "fans" of Star Wars, and yeah, I mean "canon" stuff, talking about the Maul scene. "He's dead"...

That becomes a test. If you think Maul was dead, are you really a Star Wars "fan"?

I actually think that fits quite well...good that they did it. And, I'd be interested to see the in between stuff Maul did from Clone Wars and Rebels.

Phroobar

I want this movie to crash and burn. I don't care if it is a good movie or not. I want Kathleen gone.

I refuse to go see it. After TLJ, I am done with the direction they are going. TFA wasn't great, but it was fun. Rogue was ok, but I think, personally, a lot of fans give it a pass because of how great the ending 20 minutes was...but, TLJ was just a slap in the face.

"Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

The movie told the fans what to do. It seems I am not alone...

Momocon is going on right now, and I did think about going down there to see what other fans think. I suspect I'll find some who liked TLJ (there is stuff to like, I concede)...but, overall, this is a bastardization of the franchise that needs to suffer to force a regrouping. They did ok with the TV shows, I don't see why they are having so much trouble with the movies.

Oh...that's right...Kathleen.

(goes off to blame Meg a bit as well)

So do you have any original opinions that you came up with by yourself? We already know what the mental patents think. How about seeing the movie yourself and giving an original unbiased opinion or are your parents not willing to drive you to the theater?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Have not seen the movie yet, but it just seems too soon to release another Star Wars movie right after Episode 8: The Last Jedi in December.

What they should be doing is hyping up Episode 9 (This is going to be the last Episode in the Star Wars Trilogy) and than after release a few side-story or character based Star War movies every few years.

Yeah... once a year should be at the same time each year. Not six months then eighteen months cycles.

tonymu

Premium Member
I posted this in another Solo thread....
I saw it last night. It is a very good Star Wars movie. When it is over you go wow that was fast. Then you realize it was not a short movie it was just engaging and entertaining that you never got bored. The characters were all perfect. The story was good. The humor was just right. It was everything I hoped it would be. There is no way that every Star Wars movie is going to always be way better than the last. All the Star Wars movies I have seen in the last few years, including Solo, have been WAY better than episodes I, II and III.

Gelatoni

The film was OK IMO 6.5/10 for me. The dialog was painful at points and L337 is an awful character. I'm glad you found joy in it. I found it forgettable...

winstongator

Went to see it Sunday with the whole family. We really enjoyed it. There were some awesome parts, 'what else do you want?', Han shot first, Warwick, and one other spot where I was the only one laughing. Of the stories they needed to tell, the Kessel run was the one done best. I was worried they weren't going to get Han winning the Falcon in, but how they did it at the end worked well. Han and Lando's relationship reigniting in ESB makes sense. Han becoming the jaded self-centered smuggler of ANH, was the most difficult story to tell and where they could have done better. The ultimate problem is that developing that personality story isn't as easy as a fly the ship, play Sabbac stories.

There was a quote about luck that made me think of Han & Obi-Wan's exchange where Obi-Wan said, 'In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.'

It's not as good as Rogue One, but better than Ep I & II.

Lots of awesome Falcon scenes for potential use in SWGE.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have not seen the movie yet, but it just seems too soon to release another Star Wars movie right after Episode 8: The Last Jedi in December.

What they should be doing is hyping up Episode 9 (This is going to be the last Episode in the Star Wars Trilogy) and then after release a few side-story or character based Star War movies every few years.

It’s tough to disagree with something more than this...

What EXACLTY have you been watching in December - if I may ask??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom