Soft Openings

DfromATX

Original Poster
Hi everyone, my question is how do soft openings generally work? We're going in early June and will miss the TSL opening by a couple of weeks. I was on the phone with a cast member (just finalizing some details for our trip) and he said it's possible there could be soft openings while we're there. That would be so awesome! I was wondering how that sort of thing works. Just luck? Like they do a surprise test run and you have to be in the right place at the right time or ?? Thanks!

DisneyJoe

Hi everyone, my question is how do soft openings generally work? We're going in early June and will miss the TSL opening by a couple of weeks. I was on the phone with a cast member (just finalizing some details for our trip) and he said it's possible there could be soft openings while we're there. That would be so awesome! I was wondering how that sort of thing works. Just luck? Like they do a surprise test run and you have to be in the right place at the right time or ?? Thanks!
Precisely - they can open the ride and allow a limited number of guests in to ride it and then close it a short while later - or they could allow it to be open for hours. You never know.

KBLovedDisney

I got to surprisingly go on EE during the soft opening years ago. That was awesome seeing the Yeti in his A mode (or whatever mode you call it when something is working the way it is supposed to)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Pretty much.

They will occasionally do a planed soft opening for AP holders, DVC members and/or resort guests, but most are just luck of the draw.

DfromATX

Original Poster
I got to surprisingly go on EE during the soft opening years ago. That was awesome seeing the Yeti in his A mode (or whatever mode you call it when something is working the way it is supposed to)

You know, I looked up EE. It opened in April of 2006 and our first trip to Disney was December 2006! I had no idea it was new then. That was the only time we saw the "real" Yeti!

JIMINYCR

The purpose of soft openings is to allow Disney to do test runs of the ride. They evaluate guests reactions to the ride... is it a win or no win. Mostly they are trying out the mechanics and see if break downs or glitches occur, see what works or doesnt work. It also gives the CM's operating the attraction some run throughs with guests so they can get used to their roles and how to operate the ride. The time rides are run is sporatic, all depending on how things play out. Even if you are lucky to get in on a soft opening theres no guarantee you will ride. It may fail and shut down before your turn.

Captain Barbossa

On our last trip, back in 2016, the soft opening for Frozen was going on, so we steered clear of that! On our 2014 trip, the soft opening of SDMT was going on. We knew that it would be impossible to ride it, but we asked anyways. The CMs told us that the only people who were allowed to ride were active members and Veterans of the Military (which is only right), and other CMs and their families/friends.

JeffBostock

I'd say you have a good chance of being able to go on at least one, maybe both, of the new rides when you are there a few weeks before the official opening. I'm guessing they will do soft openings starting the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. They've done soft openings starting on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend for 7DMT in 2014 and all of Pandora last year. I was there for both of those soft openings.

Aerial photos for Toy Story Land show that they are making great progress with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom