• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

SoCal Stay-At-Home Order: Sea World Now Closed

TP2000

Original Poster

SeaWorld San Diego has been forced to reclose and cancel holiday events at the marine park because of a Southern California stay-at-home order set to go into effect this weekend.

SeaWorld will temporarily close its San Diego park and halt the ongoing SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration beginning on Monday, Dec. 7 in accordance with the regional order issued by state officials, according to SeaWorld officials.

“As part of our continued commitment to the safety of our guests and Ambassadors and in accordance with the regional stay at home order issued by the state of California, we are temporarily closing SeaWorld San Diego,” SeaWorld officials said in a statement. “We look forward to welcoming our valued guests back to our parks soon.”

SeaWorld and other California theme parks closed in mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. SeaWorld partially reopened without amusement rides in late August under California’s zoos and aquariums guidelines.

Southern California zoos and aquariums must close when the regional stay-at-home order begins late Sunday night, Dec. 6. SeaWorld San Diego will remain closed until the state permits the Southern California region’s zoos to re-open.

During the park closure, SeaWorld’s animal care experts will continue to care for the marine park’s animals and conduct animal rescue operations.

SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration kicked off on Nov. 13 and was scheduled to run on select dates through Jan. 4. The event featured holiday foods, a Stocking Stuffer Christmas Trail with treats and toys for kids and socially-distanced meet-and-greet opportunities with Santa and Rudolph along with orca, dolphin and sea lion stadium shows.

TP2000

Original Poster
That's gotta hurt Sea World. They'd spent a bunch of money and resources on their Christmas Celebration, and had sold tickets for the event through January 4th. :(

TP2000

Original Poster
Legoland hasn't officially announced it yet, but they are also going to cancel their Christmas events in the park.

What's interesting is this quote from that Legoland story, where Six Flags and Knott's spokesmen are quite blunt in stating they are still trying to figure it out and determine what the state means...

"We have seen the news from the state and are working to get clarification on what that means for our operation moving forward," Six Flags Magic Mountain spokesman Jerry Certino said to Spectrum News 1. Six Flags Magic Mountain is hosting a Holiday in the Parks Drive-Thru Experience. Visitors remain in their cars and drive-thru a holiday lighted and dressed up Magic Mountain.

A Knott's Berry Farm official said the company was also trying to grasp the new situation. For the past several months, Knott's has hosted various themed outdoor dining and tasting events at the Buena Park theme park since the pandemic began in March. This holiday season, Knott's is hosting the Knott's Taste of Merry Farm outdoor dining experience.

"We're trying to understand how it will impact our event," Knott's Berry Farm spokeswoman Diana Bahena said.

These poor businesses get this info via the media just like all of us, then go find some vague information on a state website like some of us who have the time to do that, and then have to figure out if the closures apply to them or not. What a mess.

Darkbeer1

>>SeaWorld San Diego will bring back thrill rides and roller coasters next week after operating as a zoo, hosting food festivals and offering a once-in-a-lifetime drive-thru special event in an effort to keep the theme park partially open during the yearlong coronavirus pandemic.

SeaWorld San Diego will fully reopen at limited capacity with rides, attractions and roller coasters on Monday, April 12, according to park officials.

“We’re delighted to bring back some of the best thrill and family rides that San Diego has to offer,” SeaWorld San Diego president Marilyn Hannes said in a statement. “Our guests have been eager for SeaWorld to re-open rides and we are looking forward to providing these exciting experiences.”<<

>>The new Emperor coaster — which was set to open last year at SeaWorld San Diego — will open at a later date. The 153-foot-tall floorless dive coaster will have a 143-foot-tall vertical first drop, a top speed of 60 mph and nearly 2,500 feet of track.<<

BuzzedPotatoHead89

>>SeaWorld San Diego will bring back thrill rides and roller coasters next week after operating as a zoo, hosting food festivals and offering a once-in-a-lifetime drive-thru special event in an effort to keep the theme park partially open during the yearlong coronavirus pandemic.

SeaWorld San Diego will fully reopen at limited capacity with rides, attractions and roller coasters on Monday, April 12, according to park officials.

“We’re delighted to bring back some of the best thrill and family rides that San Diego has to offer,” SeaWorld San Diego president Marilyn Hannes said in a statement. “Our guests have been eager for SeaWorld to re-open rides and we are looking forward to providing these exciting experiences.”<<

>>The new Emperor coaster — which was set to open last year at SeaWorld San Diego — will open at a later date. The 153-foot-tall floorless dive coaster will have a 143-foot-tall vertical first drop, a top speed of 60 mph and nearly 2,500 feet of track.<<

I’m actually a bit surprised by this move. By reopening as a “theme park” in just a few days had anyone from out of state already made plans (even if it’s not advised) to visit the park as a zoo this restriction will undoubtedly create some abrasion.

For a “hybrid park” like Sea World I wonder if it would’ve just made sense to open rides in June without the added operational headaches of being a “theme park”. But I trust their ops folks know better than I do.

cmwade77

I’m actually a bit surprised by this move. By reopening as a “theme park” in just a few days had anyone from out of state already made plans (even if it’s not advised) to visit the park as a zoo this restriction will undoubtedly create some abrasion.

For a “hybrid park” like Sea World I wonder if it would’ve just made sense to open rides in June without the added operational headaches of being a “theme park”. But I trust their ops folks know better than I do.
The problem is passholders on EzPay are getting charges until they reopen the rides and many are getting impatient with it. Additionally, they have a fair number that purchased all season dining and drinks which SeaWorld has committed to extend by the time they were not operating as a theme park plus two additional months. The longer they keep the rides closed (again nothing counts until the rides reopen according to SeaWorld), the more it will cost them.

Now, in all reality had they simply said the payments would stop and all season drinks and dining would begin, I think the majority of passholders would have been fine with it staying as a zoo for a while. Or maybe offer them the choice of when to resume, while as a zoo or as a theme park and make the free period start with whichever the passholder chose.

But that is just me.

LukaLand

The funny thing about this is that as an out of state pass holder I've been welcome to visit the 'zoo' Sea World any time its been open. The email I just got from them says I am no longer welcome to visit once rides open.

TP2000

Original Poster
The funny thing about this is that as an out of state pass holder I've been welcome to visit the 'zoo' Sea World any time its been open. The email I just got from them says I am no longer welcome to visit once rides open.

Don't worry, this is how California works now.

But don't you dare question it! This is all based on Science & Data. There is nothing to question, you just need to obey.

Trust me, it's better this way. Do not question Sacramento! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom