Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

TP2000

Original Poster
It was not inevitable. Example:

LA County population 10 Million Covid Deaths: over 35,000
Tokyo population: 37 Million Covid death 4,779

Tokyo is the largest most congested population center in the world and Japan has the oldest population in the world. Covid should have wiped them out. It hasn't. Why? People listen to directions and do what they are told. They took it seriously.

In fact, Asia has performed the best overall and they have the majority of the most congested population centers on the planet.

The inevitable argument doesn't hold water.

I've traveled to Japan and Asia many times, and they are indeed wonderful places with a very different culture. Just watch those YouTube videos of how the Japanese reacted at Tokyo Disneyland during the big earthquake a decade ago, and realize that will NOT be how things go down during the Big One at Disneyland. 🤣

But it should also be remembered that Japan and South Korea and others are island nations, quite literally, and they cut themselves off from the world. And they have not even begun to start vaccinating their population yet, so they need to hope and pray these new more easily transmitted Covid strains don't get into their countries. They don't start vaccinating there until this spring.

If Los Angeles County had erected a giant steel wall along the border with Orange and Ventura counties, closed the ports of San Pedro and Long Beach to passenger service, and shut down LAX, it might have had a better chance at emulating the results of Tokyo or Seoul or Auckland.

But that's not how America works. There have been no border checks among any states, and I'm not sure that's even constitutional for the free flow of American commerce and citizens.

Travel Junkie

I've traveled to Japan and Asia many times, and they are indeed wonderful places with a very different culture. Just watch those YouTube videos of how the Japanese reacted at Tokyo Disneyland during the big earthquake a decade ago, and realize that will NOT be how things go down during the Big One at Disneyland. 🤣

But it should also be remembered that Japan and South Korea and others are island nations, quite literally, and they cut themselves off from the world. And they have not even begun to start vaccinating their population yet, so they need to hope and pray these new more easily transmitted Covid strains don't get into their countries. They don't start vaccinating there until this spring.

If Los Angeles County had erected a giant steel wall along the border with Orange and Ventura counties, closed the ports of San Pedro and Long Beach to passenger service, and shut down LAX, it might have had a better chance at emulating the results of Tokyo or Seoul or Auckland.

But that's not how America works. There have been no border checks among any states, and I'm not sure that's even constitutional for the free flow of American commerce and citizens.

Funny how you love to compare other countries Covid numbers to each other. Unless of course it doesn't fit your narrative. Then comparing countries is not realistic.

Japan and South Korea handled the crisis very different than the US. The results speak for themselves.

milordsloth

Funny how you love to compare other countries Covid numbers to each other. Unless of course it doesn't fit your narrative. Then comparing countries is not realistic.

Japan and South Korea handled the crisis very different than the US. The results speak for themselves.

I feel like you missed the main point on this one:

But it should also be remembered that Japan and South Korea and others are island nations, quite literally, and they cut themselves off from the world.

There's no question that island nations handled the crisis differently and had more successful results than other larger, non-island nations.

mickEblu

Easier is a matter of perspective I guess. Some of us have been essential and working thru most of this pandemic. Forced to come in close contact with co-workers and question every single action of theirs as either being an innocent mistake, or an indicator of systemic disbelief of safety protocols. Easier maybe than some, but pleasant, it is not.

Even if you don't catch COVID, or even catch a mild or asymptomatic case, you can still be putting a strain on resources that otherwise would not be strained.

First world problems, I know, but I had multiple, non-Disney vacations cancelled last year (ok maybe one was a Disney trip). I've debated finding the sweet spot this year between booking something at a time I would feel safe, versus a time when everyone else in the world feels safe and starts booking everything. So I'd like to think that to some degree I understand.

The thing that has convinced me to stay home (mostly) has been the desire to NOT travel to the airport. Even if I believed that everyone at Walt Disney World was 100% in compliance with the rules (which I don't), there's still a lot of non-Disney interactions between Anaheim and Orlando. I have considered going out to a National Park and staying mostly isolated.

Yeah, I mean it’s mostly first world problems for me too. All of our needs our met and im planning a vacation so things can’t be that bad. Love my family and I feel that I’m truly blessed. With that said, I’m human and the last 10 months are wearing me down.

I see what you re saying. I also have concerns about the traveling and even just being at WDW in general. Not really for me so much but more for my kids. Just the guilt if God forbid something were to happen even if I don’t think it’s likely. I think I’ve just hit a wall and need to just do something different ASAP. I mean, I was feeling that way before the pandemic but the last 10 months have made it much worse. I’ve thought of more low key trips like a road trip up the PCH but don’t think my kids would get a lot out of it and unfortunately do the current restrictions places like Hearst castle and the Monterrey aquarium are closed. Most restaurants are take out only. It also becomes a matter of not want its to waste ones resources on a trip that isn’t quite worth it. Originally i was thinking Aulani but I’ve seen some YouTube videos of it in its current state that look downright depressing.

Honestly if they would just open up some things in California I’d much rather do that and save the traveling/ flying for a later date.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
South Korea is on a peninsula. While it is cut off from the rest of Asia due to the DMZ and North Korea, it is still not an island.
You are kind of reaching there to find some fault. Florida is not an island either but if we split the state in half then air or water access would be the only way in. If you have a point to prove do it in a sane way.

Travel Junkie

I feel like you missed the main point on this one:

Not sure what main point was if not to say that just because they are an "Island nation" their Covid response doesn't matter. That's what he's essentially saying.

Most countries at this point are "islands" as International travel is severely restricted. The Island nation argument means little to nothing. At this point most transmission is going to be within a countries own borders.

If Japan for example handled the virus like the US, then Japan would be in a lot of trouble. Once again Tokyo is extremely congested and Japan as a whole is the oldest country in the world. We clearly could learn a few things from how Asia has handled things. They learned a lot from SARS that helped them in this pandemic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not sure what main point was if not to say that just because they are an "Island nation" their Covid response doesn't matter. That's what he's essentially saying.

Most countries at this point are "islands" as International travel is severely restricted. The Island nation argument means little to nothing. At this point most transmission is going to be within a countries own borders.

If Japan for example handled the virus like the US, then Japan would be in a lot of trouble. Once again Tokyo is extremely congested and Japan as a whole is the oldest country in the world. We clearly could learn a few things from how Asia has handled things. They learned a lot from SARS that helped them in this pandemic.
Add to that that Asian countries have long accepted mask and other social distancing measures as a norm especially during cold/flu season. They take it more seriously due to how congested things really are over there.

But this is a retread of an argument had 10 months ago.

lazyboy97o

And how many people will have long term issues that have not popped up yet?
This. It seems as time goes on we keep learning about a larger percentage of people having some sort of ongoing issue. Then there is the damage seen in imaging of people who had no or very mild symptoms. To claim people are fine because they did not die seems short sighted.

Californian Elitist

This. It seems as time goes on we keep learning about a larger percentage of people having some sort of ongoing issue. Then there is the damage seen in imaging of people who had no or very mild symptoms. To claim people are fine because they did not die seems short sighted.
I caught COVID-19 two days after Christmas. I didn't need hospitalization and for the most part I'm doing fine, but my smell has yet to fully return and I get these headache flashes almost every day, where a wave of pain will hit a certain area of my head.

It's been a month.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I caught COVID-19 two days after Christmas. I didn't need hospitalization and for the most part I'm doing fine, but my smell has yet to fully return and I get these headache flashes almost every day, where a wave of pain will hit a certain area of my head.

It's been a month.
Sorry you're going through that. There is still so much we don't understand yet about this virus. We're going to be dealing with long lasting effects of it just from the medical side for years if not decades.

Stevek

It's been a month.
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom