Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm not saying there shouldn't be any limits. But I am saying that when you tighten things down too much, it can backfire (and likely has in CA). So I would say the correct degree of limitations is somewhere between none and what CA is doing.

That would seem to be Texas or Florida.

I really worry about the long-term damage Sacramento has done to its credibility. It issues toothless "mandates" like a Stay-At-Home Order and a 10PM Statewide Curfew that absolutely no one enforces and very few obey. It's all such a farce now.

There's a 10PM Statewide Curfew! Unless you want to go to In-N-Out or Target or Satin Topless on Ball Road.

There's a Stay-At-Home Order! And yet World of Disney is open daily for all your non-essential needs.

It's all such a joke. My fear is that when a real state emergency comes along, like an 8.2 earthquake on the San Andreas or even something worse, Sacramento leaders will have no moral authority to impose curfews and mandates because during Covid they belched out all this meaningless stuff that most people were quickly trained to ignore.

That's a huge mistake on the part of Governor Newsom and Sacramento to treat language and leadership that flippantly.
A HUGE mistake.

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Do you say anything to them? Report them to the authorities?

Reconsider your career choice? Call out your employer publicly, or notify the authorities of your employer's malfeasance?

Or just "side-eye" them while collecting a paycheck paid by those customers?
There is nothing preventing guests from staying at hotels here for nonessential reasons. Doesn't mean I don't think they should be staying home.

TP2000

Original Poster
There is nothing preventing guests from staying at hotels here for nonessential reasons. Doesn't mean I don't think they should be staying home.

Oh, I just assumed you were in California. Apologies if that's not the case.

It's technically illegal to stay in a hotel in California unless you are a "frontline medical worker" in town to help fight Covid. But nearly all hotels across California are open and operating for anyone who has cash for a stay.

There were a bunch of tony, trendy hotels here along the beach in OC that offered New Year's Eve packages for couples, and I know some friends that took advantage of that. They aren't a frontline anything, and you could tell that just by looking at them from 20 feet away, but they were warmly greeted at the front desk. 🤣

unmitigated disaster

Oh, I just assumed you were in California. Apologies if that's not the case.

It's technically illegal to stay in a hotel in California unless you are a "frontline medical worker" in town to help fight Covid. But nearly all hotels across California are open and operating for anyone who has cash for a stay.

There were a bunch of tony, trendy hotels here along the beach in OC that offered New Year's Eve packages for couples, and I know some friends that took advantage of that. They aren't a frontline anything, and you could tell that just by looking at them from 20 feet away, but they were warmly greeted at the front desk. 🤣
Yeah, I'm in Arizona. They haven't shut down the hotels here, but we have had to follow other things, like restaurant seating and the number of people allowed in pools.

We get essential workers: some are regulars from before Covid who maintain and fix machinery in essential fields. We had a slew of firefighters when we had a forest fire. We get military on duty: there's an Airbase here.

misfitdoll

My family had a pretty bad case of Covid in May, so we feel (diminishingly, but still) comfortable going out, as we don’t see anyone outside of our household and have antibodies. So many California residents have had Covid now, (I think I saw 1 in 3) that side eyeing people who are out and about is pretty short sighted. We always wear masks and socially distance for everyone’s comfort and safety but the risk we are running is negligible.

Travel Junkie

Reminder that the policies Newson is listening to are the norm. Among the places around the world where Disney has theme parks, only in Florida are there little to no restrictions. Even the parks that are open in Shanghai and Tokyo are adhering to strict protocols that have changed numerous times over the last few months. And the case numbers in the places where Disney parks are open are a fraction of those in the US.

But Newsom is the bad man.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My family had a pretty bad case of Covid in May, so we feel (diminishingly, but still) comfortable going out, as we don’t see anyone outside of our household and have antibodies. So many California residents have had Covid now, (I think I saw 1 in 3) that side eyeing people who are out and about is pretty short sighted. We always wear masks and socially distance for everyone’s comfort and safety but the risk we are running is negligible.
Just an FYI, studies have found that having COVID may only provide 5 or so months of protection.

So just be careful out there and don't fall into this false sense of security that because you've had it that you have full protection long term.

SuddenStorm

Do you say anything to them? Report them to the authorities?

Reconsider your career choice? Call out your employer publicly, or notify the authorities of your employer's malfeasance?

Or just "side-eye" them while collecting a paycheck paid by those customers?

There's an old hospitality saying-

Do you know why you should smile at your guests?

The guests pay your salary.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So many California residents have had Covid now, (I think I saw 1 in 3) that side eyeing people who are out and about is pretty short sighted. We always wear masks and socially distance for everyone’s comfort and safety but the risk we are running is negligible.
A quick and dirty Google search states only 3 mil Californians have been infected. That's about 1 in 13 people or 7.5% of the population. Not quite as high as the 33% you are suggesting.

Just an FYI,

Source of study (not studies): "A preprint, unpublished non-peer reviewed work, from the SIREN (Sarscov2 Immunity & REinfection EvaluatioN) study compares SARS-CoV-2 infection rates in antibody positive and antibody negative healthcare workers."

1. This study has only been going on for 5 months which is why the current prognosis is that immunity could last at least 5 months. They will continue the study for up to 12 months to ascertain if immunity on average is longer.

2. In the initial 5 months in this study, "Reinfection was rare (44 potential reinfections out of 6,614 participants who had tested positive for antibodies)"

3. "Of the 44 potential reinfections identified (by those who had already tested positive), two were designated 'probable' and 42 as 'possible'"

4. Those who appeared reinfected only showed "asymptomatic" infections meaning they didn't show any symptoms of the disease. This leads to preliminary calls for continued caution and to continue wearing masks and social distance, not to scare people into thinking they will fully catch the disease and go through the symptoms again.

5. The only people being tested in this study are frontline health workers who are continually being exposed to Covid-19 on a daily basis thus increasing their risk of reinfection. This is not from the article but from a response by Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine, The Norwich School of Medicine, University of East Anglia, “So repeat infections are likely to be common in people who are continually exposed to infection but they are much less likely to be symptomatic. Nevertheless, we do have to assume that these asymptomatic infections are still infectious to others albeit less infectious than symptomatic cases.”

All of the results of this study are still preliminary and only preliminary assumptions can be ascertained. It still needs to be completed, peer-reviewed, and published.

The person you are replying to is following what this study suggests, to continue to appropriately wear a mask and social distance. Assuming they aren't frontline medical workers, the preliminary study shows their risk of symptomatic reinfection is unlikely, and as suggested, the risk is negligible.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A quick and dirty Google search states only 3 mil Californians have been infected. That's about 1 in 13 people or 7.5% of the population. Not quite as high as the 33% you are suggesting.

Just an FYI,

Source of study (not studies): "A preprint, unpublished non-peer reviewed work, from the SIREN (Sarscov2 Immunity & REinfection EvaluatioN) study compares SARS-CoV-2 infection rates in antibody positive and antibody negative healthcare workers."

1. This study has only been going on for 5 months which is why the current prognosis is that immunity could last at least 5 months. They will continue the study for up to 12 months to ascertain if immunity on average is longer.

2. In the initial 5 months in this study, "Reinfection was rare (44 potential reinfections out of 6,614 participants who had tested positive for antibodies)"

3. "Of the 44 potential reinfections identified (by those who had already tested positive), two were designated 'probable' and 42 as 'possible'"

4. Those who appeared reinfected only showed "asymptomatic" infections meaning they didn't show any symptoms of the disease. This leads to preliminary calls for continued caution and to continue wearing masks and social distance, not to scare people into thinking they will fully catch the disease and go through the symptoms again.

5. The only people being tested in this study are frontline health workers who are continually being exposed to Covid-19 on a daily basis thus increasing their risk of reinfection. This is not from the article but from a response by Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine, The Norwich School of Medicine, University of East Anglia, “So repeat infections are likely to be common in people who are continually exposed to infection but they are much less likely to be symptomatic. Nevertheless, we do have to assume that these asymptomatic infections are still infectious to others albeit less infectious than symptomatic cases.”

All of the results of this study are still preliminary and only preliminary assumptions can be ascertained. It still needs to be completed, peer-reviewed, and published.

The person you are replying to is following what this study suggests, to continue to appropriately wear a mask and social distance. Assuming they aren't frontline medical workers, the preliminary study shows their risk of symptomatic reinfection is unlikely, and as suggested, the risk is negligible.
The point that was trying to be made was that don't just making assumptions that because you've had it and have antibodies that you shouldn't let your guard down. Not saying they aren't being safe, just putting it out there.

George Lucas on a Bench

Just an FYI,

You seem quite rational and logical, but by now you must realize that there is a gaggle of nutty users on here who refuse any information that may calm down their hysterical irrationality and demand All Bad News, All the Time. If you offer them hope, they refuse to believe it's even real and you'll be accused of "Downplaying" the virus because you're not an hysterical Shut It Downer.

misfitdoll

This is the article I was referring to, and yes it is about LA County (where I live) not the entire state of California. Just saying— a LOT of people around here have had it. We do still follow all of the guidelines and protocols and are careful with masks and distancing!

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

There's an old hospitality saying-

Do you know why you should smile at your guests?

The guests pay your salary.
Like when I got called a "stupid c**t" for refusing to give out a room number? Perhaps I should at the numerous people who call me a b*tch when I refuse to let them check in when their credit card declines. Oh, I know! Definitely at the man who came stomping up to the desk and demanded I have sex with him since "the room is so expensive you better be coming down to my room with me so I get something else for this price".

TP2000

Original Poster
Like when I got called a "stupid c**t" for refusing to give out a room number? Perhaps I should at the numerous people who call me a b*tch when I refuse to let them check in when their credit card declines. Oh, I know! Definitely at the man who came stomping up to the desk and demanded I have sex with him since "the room is so expensive you better be coming down to my room with me so I get something else for this price".

By chance, do you work at the Little Boy Blue Motel on Katella?

SuddenStorm

Those kinds of guests are the worst, and while they're more prevalent at less expensive properties they do plague the industry. A friend of mine worked at the St. Regis front desk and they had lousy and rude guests all the time.

I've had local law enforcement contact me for information about drugs coming out of the hotel (and my property is far from cheap- right now we're the rate leader for our comp set). Heck, just yesterday at work I had an older lady go off on me for enforcing a simple policy. She was trying to check into a prepaid room under her husband's name (we require the person who's name is on the reservation to be present at check in- especially on prepaid OTA bookings). Her husband was in the car- but instead of just going out and getting him she threw a fit. When she did get her husband he actively de escalated her, the dude was normal and chill. She started to threaten me, and took out her phone to "take a picture of me"- they were about two seconds away from having to find a different hotel since my patience for that nonsense was running low- but her husband was normal and got her to calm down. Talk about much ado over nothing. Sometimes situations in hospitality just get ridiculous, especially since people have often been travelling all day and are sleep deprived, irritable, or just lousy people altogether.

I have so many stories, and covid just makes things more interesting.

But then I think about my regular guests that are absolutely amazing. And every other guest who's courteous at check in, respectful in every interaction, and doesn't cause a problem. Guests buy me dinner all the time. The ones who are genuinely appreciative. 99% of the guests are awesome, but there are those unfortunate bad ones that stick with you. I've worked really hard to 'forget' every bad interaction and not take it home with me or personally- no job is worth that- but instead focus on the guests that are awesome and really make the job fun.

It sounds like you deal with more then your share of losers at work, and I hope you're able to find joy in creating awesome experiences for the good guests, or are able to find a job where you don't have to deal with those awful guests!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
That would seem to be Texas or Florida.

I really worry about the long-term damage Sacramento has done to its credibility. It issues toothless "mandates" like a Stay-At-Home Order and a 10PM Statewide Curfew that absolutely no one enforces and very few obey. It's all such a farce now.

There's a 10PM Statewide Curfew! Unless you want to go to In-N-Out or Target or Satin Topless on Ball Road.

There's a Stay-At-Home Order! And yet World of Disney is open daily for all your non-essential needs.

It's all such a joke. My fear is that when a real state emergency comes along, like an 8.2 earthquake on the San Andreas or even something worse, Sacramento leaders will have no moral authority to impose curfews and mandates because during Covid they belched out all this meaningless stuff that most people were quickly trained to ignore.

That's a huge mistake on the part of Governor Newsom and Sacramento to treat language and leadership that flippantly.
A HUGE mistake.
The same thing was done in Chicago when I was there in the fall. The Mayor announced a "stay at home order" , so we did. When we went to a local grocery store a week or so later we were amazed that EVERYTHING was open. Not just the local Walmart and other "essential" stores but everything. I looked into it and realized she made the order but in turn closed nothing. Every strip mall and parking lot we passed was packed! I have no clue what this was supposed to accomplish except to either confuse people or dare them to defy it. Thankfully we are now in Florida where the rules are a bit clearer.

truecoat

It is possible to get Covid a second time due to differing strains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom