Soarin' with a 95% approval rating and Figment owned by Kodak?

WillsNov

Original Poster
While I was down at Disney, I took the Undiscovered Future World Tour. Really awesome but I will not tell any details and spoil it for anyone. Anyway, while I was on the tour, two points of interest came up from the guide that I thought I would get opinions on here. For one, I was told that Soarin' is the the most successful ride at Epcot with a 95% approval rating. The other thing was that the CM told us that Kodak, not Disney owns Figment and that's why he disappeared for a short time.
Now while I can believe the first item, I find it hard to believe that Kodak owns Figment and during the refurb around 2000, it was Kodak who wanted to keep Figment out. What's everyone elses opinion on this?

Enderikari

WillsNov said:
While I was down at Disney, I took the Undiscovered Future World Tour. Really awesome but I will not tell any details and spoil it for anyone. Anyway, while I was on the tour, two points of interest came up from the guide that I thought I would get opinions on here. For one, I was told that Soarin' is the the most successful ride at Epcot with a 95% approval rating. The other thing was that the CM told us that Kodak, not Disney owns Figment and that's why he disappeared for a short time.
Now while I can believe the first item, I find it hard to believe that Kodak owns Figment and during the refurb around 2000, it was Kodak who wanted to keep Figment out. What's everyone elses opinion on this?

Actually, there is one thing that is wrong, sort of.... Soarin' approval rating is actually 93%, other than that, you speaking the truth pal.

That's the truth behind Figment, characters of both Figment and Dreamfinder are property of the Kodak company....

RonAnnArbor

Not surprised that the approval rating is that high for Soarin' - it's one of the finest rides in the country...as far as Figment, he is indeed owned by Kodak

JEDIsney

I'm glad Soarin's approval rating is that high, it definitely deserves it.

And I had no idea that Figment and the Dreamfinder were owned by Kodak. Interesting.

speck76

Soarin' is a great ride that appeals to a vast audience.....attractions like this should be the backbone of the parks, although not every attraction shoudl have such mass appeal....it is important to let kids be kids and adults be adults on certain attractions.

darthjohnny

I also went on UnDiscovered Future World tour and I was surprised to learn about Figment. I don't think Kodak outright owns Figment, otherwise, wouldn't all the Figment merchandise, such as pins, say copyright Eastman Kodak Company. I personally think Disney created and still can control Figment, but Kodak since it sponsors the ride has the authority to tell Disney what to do with it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
darthjohnny said:
I also went on UnDiscovered Future World tour and I was surprised to learn about Figment. I don't think Kodak outright owns Figment, otherwise, wouldn't all the Figment merchandise, such as pins, say copyright Eastman Kodak Company. I personally think Disney created and still can control Figment, but Kodak since it sponsors the ride has the authority to tell Disney what to do with it.
As with any Disney/Sponsor relationship, as long as the sponsor remains, I believe they have a say in the attraction, how it works, how it is developed, etc. I do not believe that the sponsor "owns" any of the characters. Since the sponsor is shelling out big bucks, they get a say in how the attraction is developed only.

freediverdude

Yes, there must be some kind of different contract with regards to Figment, because, like the Star Wars character pins all say copyright Lucasfilm or something like that on the back, even though they were made for Disney World. So Kodak must not own the copyright rights to Figment or something. Maybe it's something like, Kodak helped create the characters during the creation of the Imagination pavilion, and so something in their contract for the Imagination pavilion gives them the right to decide how the characters are used in the attraction or something like that....

edited- whoops i guess some more posts have gone in since I was typing this, so I guess ignore mine

SpenceMan01

I can remember, back when Soarin' was being built, that people (I might have been one too) on these boards were all up in arms because it was/is a clone from the DCA ride. It's amazing to see what a huge success it has become.

disneydaft

speck76 said:
Soarin' is a great ride that appeals to a vast audience.....attractions like this should be the backbone of the parks, although not every attraction shoudl have such mass appeal....it is important to let kids be kids and adults be adults on certain attractions.

I totally agree.

I think Soarin is definitely a ride that Walt himself would have chosen for the parks.

Epcot82Guy

disneydaft said:
I totally agree.

I think Soarin is definitely a ride that Walt himself would have chosen for the parks.

I agree. I can't wait to experience it myself this summer. WHile I think a new film could mesh the attraction with The Land a bit more, that is an extremely easy fix. And, from everything stated, it sounds like the California video was done to get the attraction in faster and that a new film is indeed on its way in the near(-ish) future.

S.E.A.

SpenceMan01 said:
I can remember, back when Soarin' was being built, that people (I might have been one too) on these boards were all up in arms because it was/is a clone from the DCA ride. It's amazing to see what a huge success it has become.

Yeah, it's really something.

TimonRulz

I wouldn't doubt that Sorain' is that high up there. I love it! I also remember it being on the Disney station thing on the television while I was there. It was the #1 don't miss thing. Very fun... and very long line. :p

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
TimonRulz said:
I wouldn't doubt that Sorain' is that high up there. I love it! I also remember it being on the Disney station thing on the television while I was there. It was the #1 don't miss thing. Very fun... and very long line. :p
Its the number one dont miss thing because its the newest that is open officially. Next will be EE.

ctwhalerman

Figment is really from Rochester?

Figment being a property of Eastman Kodak is really interesting. While I doubt it, I wonder if they can exert control over the character even if they do not own it. But I still think Disney created the character, and was part of the reason Kodak probably signed on to sponsor the attraction in the first place back in 80 or 81 or whenever they signed on.

But, who here would not love to see a nationwide Kodak commercial with the lovable dragon's annoying voice pitching film and cameras?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ctwhalerman said:
Figment being a property of Eastman Kodak is really interesting. While I doubt it, I wonder if they can exert control over the character even if they do not own it. But I still think Disney created the character, and was part of the reason Kodak probably signed on to sponsor the attraction in the first place back in 80 or 81 or whenever they signed on.

But, who here would not love to see a nationwide Kodak commercial with the lovable dragon's annoying voice pitching film and cameras?
I would much rather see Figment than the abomination Stitch.

ctwhalerman

hakunamatata said:
I would much rather see Figment than the abomination Stitch.

No doubt about that. And this is enough for a whole new thread, but Stitch must be the most annoying character of the past decade, and no offense to those who like Stitch (I used to be one of them), but please shut that thing up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom