Soarin' Over the World Info/Update

imagineer boy

To be honest, I don't understand why Soarin is THAT popular. Don't get me wrong, I think its a terriffic ride, but I just don't see why there has to be such a huge crush to ride it. I think it might be in part to Disney over promoting the heck out of it

I really think they should build at least two more theaters to reduce wait times and there's room to do it too.

While they're at it, they really should relocate the ride entrance to the entry floor of the Land and move the fastpasses to the outside entrance of the pavillion.

If they did all this they could say, "aw heck, let's just throw in a new film while we're at it too."

RSoxNo1

Personally, I'd love to see the entrance to Soarin' change. If the video becomes Soarin' Over the World, I think the entrance should be at the entrance of World Showcase, or the Old Millennium village. It would result in a queue that's only slightly larger than what's there now.

Having said that, I don't see it happening because there's no real need for it other than thematic purposes.

WorldKey

Hey - what about Germany, Austria, Switzerland. Anyone who has been there would probably agree that some of this is the most spectacular scenery in the world!! How about a fly over of Neuschwanstein castle - since Disney admired it so much and used it as a reference in his designs.....

picture.php

redkoala245

This sounds great. I like how they want to do this with other countries because this is Epcot. They should do all of the countries that are in Epcot along with additional countries.
I think DCA should just stick with the Soarin over California because it is in California.

PirateFrank

While I like the idea of an around the world Soarin', I never understood the reason for bringing the california movie to WDW. It stinks of "we were too cheap to film an east coast version."

Given the cost of investment for an around the world, why not have an east coast version for epcot?

There is MORE than enough beautiful scenery on the east coast for an east coast soarin'.

As far as increasing the film time, yes....Instead of 90 minute waits, we can have 150 minute waits! :rolleyes: Almost as dumb-a$$ an idea as fast pass was...

I remember reading on a DL Paris site that they and Hong Kong were both interested in a Soarin over the world film to add the ride to the park, this was about 1-2 years ago so this may or may not still be ongoing. One of the best rumours I remember from the discussion at the time was the end of each film would be different and finish with the castle and fireworks of the park they were located in, as i say this was some time ago this rumour came out so it may have been scrapped.

cookiee_munster

what a wonderful way to improve and freshen up a ride like this. TBF, when it was being bult, i remember a lot of talk being about what film would feature in the attraction. there was quite a bit of disappointment seeing as the ride got the same film.

the new film shouldn't really feature footage of beautiful scenery from the world. seeing as its in the land, the film should really focus on how we utilise the land. so showing more of an agricultural based film. there's a scene of going over a field of orange tree's in the Californian film yes? well, what about going to india flying over a field of tea, china rice fields, vine yards, olive groves etc etc etc. then at least its a little bit more in-keeping with where the ride is situated.

Thrill

I love soarin... but why cant they have multiple flights / destinations... ala star tours 2... It would be awesome to be soar over each continent. Each time you sit down you would be sent randomly on one of seven flights! Australia or Asia anyone? That would be pretty cool...

I think it would be nice, but the barrier (to my understanding) involves IMAX technology. I don't believe there is a digital Omnimax system right now, and a randomized film would require one. I could be wrong, though.

raven

While I like the idea of an around the world Soarin', I never understood the reason for bringing the california movie to WDW. It stinks of "we were too cheap to film an east coast version."

Soarin' was opened during the celebrations where other attractions and shows from other Disney parks around the world came to WDW. Also included that year were Lights, Motor, Action stunt show and Cinderellabration. These were built to be exactly like their counterparts. It had nothing to do with being "too cheap to film an east coast version."

Soarin' also used a different approach to the ride from the DCA version listed here on Wikipedia:

Soarin' officially opened inside The Land pavilion on May 5, 2005. Its cast members wear costumes that resemble flight attendant costumes, whereas the Disney's California Adventure version uses airfield crew costumes. The idea is that guests are taking flights to California, rather than already being there. This is further reinforced in the theming that you are loaded into "gates" and with airport-themed spiels which include that you are aboard "Flight 5505" which is a homage to the opening day of the attraction.

flavious27

If Disney will be changing the video that they use for Soarin', I am surprised that they don't capture multiple projects at once. Soarin' over WDW itself, Soarin' over Florida and Soarin' over the US.

joeA_baddolphin

Soarin' was opened during the celebrations where other attractions and shows from other Disney parks around the world came to WDW. Also included that year were Lights, Motor, Action stunt show and Cinderellabration. These were built to be exactly like their counterparts.

Good point. I remember the celebrations as well. However, I hope the rumors of a new movie are true. It was excusable for a couple of years to use the original film but it's definitely time for a film with a more appropriate topic for Epcot. I will definitely miss the music though!

GenerationX

I've never heard of anyone riding Soarin' due to the Disney marketing machine. WDW newbies I've talked to have either never heard of it or found it in a guidebook. In either case, I've had to vouch for the ride. Everyone has come back having absolutely loved the ride, and that includes people of wildly differing ages (anywhere between 4 - 68).

The current version has always worked for me. In DCA, the film fits the theme of the park by showcasing the geographic and cultural diversity of California. In Florida, the film fits the theme of the Land pavilion by showing varied landforms (and how man interacts with them); the fact that the film was shot entirely in another, single state is immaterial.

While I love the current version, I'm certainly open to a new version. The primary key to me is to have varied, interesting, and beautiful landforms to soar over. The current film already has that (with only one state!), so I'm optimistic that a new version (filmed throughout the world) would be even better.

docandsix

One problem with the proposed new film...

How will people know where they are or what country they're flying over? The current version assumes the entire flight takes place within California. But what about a flight that covers the entire world?

Obviously, if you're flying over pyramids, you're probably in Egypt. But some of the world's most spectacular scenery is not necessarily so iconic. So how would people know?

A travel guide or a pre-flight orientation film could work. But I hope that the film either speaks for itself by sticking to things few people could confuse (The Eiffel Tower, for instance) or at least avoids using on-screen text to identify the landmarks and national destinations. I could see that happening, and I think it would be garish and distracting.

Azerin

I agree. But the article Alain Littaye posted is talking about Soarin' possibly coming to WDS in Paris. IF this happens, I can't really see them using the current film. TDA, TDO, and TDP (is that the proper term for Team Disney Paris?) could share the cost of making a new film.

From what I understand Soarin' over the World was part of the original WDS plans (and there has been a planned space for it since the park opened). Hopefully eventually it will actually happen :)

Since you asked, Disneyland Paris is owned and operated by an outside company name EuroDisney SCA (similar to Tokyo with Oriental Land Company; however, unlike OLC Disney owns a large share of EuroDisney SCA) so the correct term would be EuroDisney SCA, not TDP :)

imagineer boy

How will people know where they are or what country they're flying over? The current version assumes the entire flight takes place within California. But what about a flight that covers the entire world?

Obviously, if you're flying over pyramids, you're probably in Egypt. But some of the world's most spectacular scenery is not necessarily so iconic. So how would people know?

A travel guide or a pre-flight orientation film could work. But I hope that the film either speaks for itself by sticking to things few people could confuse (The Eiffel Tower, for instance) or at least avoids using on-screen text to identify the landmarks and national destinations. I could see that happening, and I think it would be garish and distracting.

The video that plays while people line up at the loading areas (the one before Patrick Warburton's saftey spiel) lists all the places that the ride visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom