Soarin' Over California VS Soarin' Around the World

Do you prefer Soarin' Over California or Soarin' Around the World?

• Soarin' Over California

Votes: 132 66.0%
  • Soarin' Around the World

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I like them both equally!

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Neither. I've always thought Soarin' was kinda overrated. :/

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

Bartledvd

For me its called boring i really dread going on it what ever seat im given picture just awful mostly because of the type of screen used the bendy shapes at the top and edges bugs me my wife likes it but our kids have the same issues as me.

graphite1326

I liked Soarin over California and at that time it was my favorite ride. However, I always thought it was strange to make us, who don't live in California, watch something about it. I always thought they should change it to something more relevant to the East Coast. I wasn't expecting Soarin over the World. But it is Walt Disney WORLD isn't.

Frankly, I was getting board with the old attraction and am happy with the change.

Bender123

I would have voted for the new version, but the distortions just detract from it too much. And I'm bored by the original after seeing it umpty dozen times.

What? You don't like the Eifel towers natural look?
SATSIX_EiffelDistortion-700x466.jpg

SeaCastle

I was disappointed by Soarin over the World. The premise is that you're flying past and through some of the most gorgeous and important vistas on the planet with some of the best views and cameras around, and they still had to throw in some cheap-looking CGI bits to distract from it. The fireworks at the end of Soarin over California always seemed a little cheesy, but the rest of the film was unadulterated natural beauty so it was more easily ignored (imo).

JIMINYCR

I do enjoy the attraction and both versions have some stunning visuals. Never going to have the opportunity to "fly over" the more exotic places so getting even a distorted view is enjoyable. But my heart still remains with the Calif. version and the great aromas we used to get.

wdwfan757

Soarin over the World from the top row > Soarin over the World from the middle/bottom but centered = Soarin over California >>>>> Soarin over the World from middle/bottom off center.

I was there the morning "World" debuted, and I think I was just too excited to let it bother me. But everytime I see it, it bothers me more and more and more, to the point where now I wonder how the people in charge actually decided that was "good enough" and called it finished. People like to discuss "bad show" in terms of deteriorating conditions, missing sounds, and malfunctioning animatronics..., but to actually put that sort of distorted imagery on one of the property's biggest E-ticket attractions defines "bad show" to me.

wplong1

Premium Member
I love Soarin', and you just can't replace that first time experience, but I think therein lies the problem for me. Whichever one you like, it is sort of a once and done ride. I certainly wouldn't wait to ride it again without a FP+. This is actually one of the disappointments for me with the current direction of Epcot rides. I do them every time we go, but you don't need to, and if we miss one I don't worry about it. Mission Space, Soarin', Test Track, done once you've done them (there is no redoing the first time rush). Horizons, Space Ship Earth, even Living with the Land, etc, you can (could) ride over and over and see something new every time....those were/are the classic Disney dark rides that have staying power to me. Yes they need to be refreshed periodically, but they are longer, more immersive experiences.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Soarin’ Around the World is still a very good ride, but the following makes it pale in comparison to Soarin’ Over California:

Much more CGI than the predecessor
One scene of an existing place created entirely of CGI (I know why, but still...why bother?)
Implausible scenes involving CGI wildlife
Less scents or not as noticeable
Original music score is better
Transitions between scenes detract more than enhance
People claim there’s crazy distortion in the video, depending on where you sit. I have not sat anywhere that it’s really noticeable yet.
Overall, you feel like you’re gliding through a movie with special effects more-so than actual scenery.
I will give Soarin’ Around the World at WDW one thing in that it properly ends at Epcot.

Last edited:

CHOX

I like California more, but have always been miffed that they completely ignored the Southern Cascades. Mount Shasta is one of the most beautiful and unique parts of the state, but seems to be ignored due to the extreme Northerness of it. Get rid of some of the Southern California crap for it, Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom