Soarin', Mission: Space, The Seas with Nemo.. will they ever be replaced?

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
Before I begin, I searched to see if there was a current thread to answer my specific question.. there was not.

Now, as always, I think about the current situation with Epcot and it's dedication to continue to change and evolve with the times as is the case for about every pavilion in it's present day form (if they're if considered pavilions anymore..) Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey, the Living Seas, and (in some cases) the Land, and Communicore were all replaced in the 1990's with attractions within the pavilions that seemed to represent the technology and innovation of that time.

The replacement attractions we have in these buildings today hardly evoke Epcot's mission as stated on this forum repeatedly. My question is: While we have Soarin', Mission: Space, and Nemo, will these attractions ever be replaced? If Epcot is all about change and improvement, is it possible that Mission: Space will have an expiration date? You can't disagree that it'd be ridiculous if The Living Seas had the Nemo overlay for another 20 years?! Ellen (while that's the only change to original pavilions I can tolerate) can't possibly be going for another five years. It seems like the current attractions will NEVER have an expiration date. Epcot pavilions have poised themselves to be replaced or updated every decade or so. Eventually, Test Track 2.0 will have to be replaced by another version or even another ride. Soarin' while "cute" is really about the passion and wonder of the state of California, not the future.

If the Seas with Nemo were to ever receive sponsorship, they'd have to remove the overlay correct? I always assumed that Disney put in the Nemo overlay because United Technologies was no longer under contract. My fear is that too many young kids have become attached and expect to see it forever more. But, that simply isn't how Epcot works, or should work, rather.

I have always been fascinated with this park. And even though I could spend every day there, I mostly just spend my days at Epcot reminiscing and reflecting on how this park is going absolutely nowhere. Rides that used to be 10-15 minutes long were worth the wait. Now, waiting 65-70 minutes for a 4 minute ride (if that) is just never worth my time. That's why I love Universe of Energy and Spaceship still (even if those two need a lot of help)

And just for kicks, while I love the occasional roller coaster or two...or three! Mission: Space makes me ill. and the tamer version just makes me claustrophobic. You can't expect Disney to keep this attraction around for the rest of Epcot's existence!?

Also, I'm aware that sponsorship plays a huge role in this.

Thanks and have a magical day!

Last edited:

AmberFaith90

To be honest, I feel like they could make Mission: SPACE into a coaster of sorts. The current state is thrilling, and I happen to enjoy it. I'm also not claustrophobic. I believe turning it into a coaster could keep it thrilling while eliminating the closed in spaces.

CP_alum08

Sure they will. I don't think there is much that is (or should be) sacred at Epcot. It may be decades but I imagine most everything at Epcot has an expiration date.

Glasgow

Keep in mind that while rides are generally intended to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, every once in a while an attraction gets greenlit simply to showcase technology and tell the world that Disney is still a prominent player in the world of cutting edge rides. I think this was the case with M:S. As such, there was a big R&D and construction investment, so I think it'll be around for a while yet. As for the other rides, I wish they would get plussed more often, simply to keep the message of Epcot alive and pertinent.

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
Keep in mind that while rides are generally intended to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, every once in a while an attraction gets greenlit simply to showcase technology and tell the world that Disney is still a prominent player in the world of cutting edge rides. I think this was the case with M:S. As such, there was a big R&D and construction investment, so I think it'll be around for a while yet. As for the other rides, I wish they would get plussed more often, simply to keep the message of Epcot alive and pertinent.

Agreed. The thing about M:S though is that it doesn't get nearly as much traffic as one would expect. A few weeks ago lines were no more than 10 minutes. Which is good for guests, yeah, but it really does show how not-very-popular the ride is. The thing about Disney is that it should be much more than a "ride". Disney has a history of creating immersive experiences and attractions that tell vivid stories. Just like Disney at the World's Fair.

minsmk

You have some really great points in this post ^^ As an epcot center fan I have to agree that the newest version of epcot isn't that good. Well it's actually pretty craptastic (Lol) if you ask me.

When I was younger I loved The Seas, I even ate at Coral Reef for one of my birthdays. So when they brought Nemo in (I loved that movie.) I was sad because the hydrolator happened to be my favorite part and it would be gone. I normally don't even go to The Seas anymore because I have no interest in listening to someone yell "NEMO" for 3 minutes.

Personally I think it will stay around a little longer because of Finding Dory..

As for M:S, it's shelf life is decreesing rapidly and I think it has 2 more years on it. Once we get to mars it will probably close for 5 years until they say "CRAP WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING!" and then we probably will get a crappy ride..

Idk I think Epcot was TDO's middle child with ideas. "We bought a tilt a whirl, where should we put it?"
"Oh Dinorama and name it "Mickey's vomit comit?"
"Nah, let's make that space pavilion and make it look all high tech. We can even invert these."
"But what if it kills someone with it's intesity?"
"It won't!"

Yeaaaah..

RonAnnArbor

Except for the updated movie at Soarin', you can bet that Nemo AND Mission Space will be around for at least another 20 years or so...will they be replaced? Maybe or maybe not. Updated, yeah probably. They are not fiscally going to invest in any types of changes or replacements to them. If a new sponsor comes along and wants to update something with one or the other, it'll happen, but otherwise NOTHING is going to change on any of these. Look at the trouble they are having trying to find anyone to sponsor and update Ellen's World of Energy, and its needed an update since the 90's...The long and the short answer is NO, they aren't going anywhere.

Gullywhumper

I really hope "The Seas" pavilion gets an overhaul soon. While M:S and Soarin' may not fit very well with the park, at least they make more sense to be there then Nemo. Nemo has nothing to do with the future of Sea travel, exploration, or anything else. Just Nemo. I wouldn't have minded if they kept the original ride, and then added a Nemo ride in the pavilion, but getting rid of it was a bad idea. It had its time, but the time to bring back the pavilion to its original state is long overdue.

DinoInstitute

And folly golly gosh sakes, you'd think that thy would have done something by now considering how much of an outcry for help this park gets from its visitors.

And no, you don't count, Maelstrom.

DinoInstitute

I really hope "The Seas" pavilion gets an overhaul soon. While M:S and Soarin' may not fit very well with the park, at least they make more sense to be there then Nemo. Nemo has nothing to do with the future of Sea travel, exploration, or anything else. Just Nemo. I wouldn't have minded if they kept the original ride, and then added a Nemo ride in the pavilion, but getting rid of it was a bad idea. It had its time, but the time to bring back the pavilion to its original state is long overdue.
I kind of agree, but it is fairly new, and would much rather them start work on the seriously aging and depressed rides like Figment and Universe. And if you know me, you'd know that I am a real angry man when it comes to Innventions. Seriously...bulldoze it

But, this isn't all to say I don't like the park, I could happily spend an entire day just sitting on a bench there enjoying the atmosphere of where I am. I don't think that the feel of the park isn't future-y enough, just some rides need it badly. And I know this isn't really about WS, but that seriously needs rides, forget more countries.

Anyways though, to answer your question in my opinion, no, I do not think they will ever get an update, because they still feel it is some of their best work, it is new, and they probably wouldn't want to spend money on them anyways

Gullywhumper

I kind of agree, but it is fairly new, and would much rather them start work on the seriously aging and depressed rides like Figment and Universe. And if you know me, you'd know that I am a real angry man when it comes to Innventions. Seriously...bulldoze it

But, this isn't all to say I don't like the park, I could happily spend an entire day just sitting on a bench there enjoying the atmosphere of where I am. I don't think that the feel of the park isn't future-y enough, just some rides need it badly. And I know this isn't really about WS, but that seriously needs rides, forget more countries.

Anyways though, to answer your question in my opinion, no, I do not think they will ever get an update, because they still feel it is some of their best work, it is new, and they probably wouldn't want to spend money on them anyways
I agree that the WS needs more rides. They already have the idea for the Rhine river ride, so why not add it? Also, if they want more countries they should just open up the Millennium Village, or whatever they are calling it now (World Showplace I think?) and put a whole bunch of countries in there.

DinoInstitute

I agree that the WS needs more rides. They already have the idea for the Rhine river ride, so why not add it? Also, if they want more countries they should just open up the Millennium Village, or whatever they are calling it now (World Showplace I think?) and put a whole bunch of countries in there.
I would say to put one over in Canada or UK....only because I think they kind of need to even it out with rides on each side

erasure fan1

I am going with a big fat not a chance. Well at least not for a very long time anyway. My thoughts on the rides are this. M:S I wouldn't mind them replacing and doing something completely different. As for soarin, with the new film it will be fine. Nemo is a catch 22. The pavilion did see a surge in popularity when the overlay happened. That is a good thing to see kids interested in the ocean and aquatic conservation. But part of me thinks they could have accomplished the same thing by taking the theme of sea base alpha and updating it so it wasn't the future of the 80s. If they would have taken the sea cabs and made it the same concept as the Nemo ride just in an updated sea base alpha theme, you would have a hit.

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
Just wondering but why is Ellen the only change you can tolerate?

The 1996 version has the same message as the 1982 version, the musical score is phenomenal, the Pre-historic diorama is still there and relatively unchanged with the exception of a few effects, the newer films are more entertaining I must admit. However, I do like the Radok screens screens better. I also love the older songs and score, but I can still listen to them on various media. Exterior wise, it's still very similar to the original with the exception of new signage (which is really ugly haha)

I don't find M:S, current Journey, Nemo, and even test track (just IMO) superior to their predecessors.

James122

I'd love for Mission:Space to get updated with some multiple scenarios, similar to Star Tours. It would give it a re-rideability factor and would increase ridership. Soarin' over the world is a good move, although I still think Soarin is the most overrated attraction on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom