Soarin' Isn't Taking Off

Grantsdale

Bluewaves said:
there isn't a digital projector that can handle imax as imax is an entirely film based technology.

I'm sorry, but thats simply not true. SW Episode 3 was presented in digital IMAX when it was released.
Also, the Soarin screen is smaller than IMAX size.

Bytowner

DisneyCane said:
I can guarantee you that the only part of that film that was scanned for anything and printed from the digital copy was the part where they added tink and the fireworks. It is extremely expensive (and slow) to scan and laser record film at IMAX resolution. There is nothing about the Soarin' film that would need digital editing tools. It's just a bunch of simple scene changes. I'm sure they did everything they could conventionally (cutting the negative and splicing it together) and only used digital where they absolutely needed it (to add in digital effects).

If they have to print a replacement film, it's not something they can just go do even if they had it stored digitally. There are only a few labs worldwide that do it (especially for 70mm film). Same for making a new print off the negative. There are only a few labs that handle 70mm film.

I don't think typical negative editing and splicing can be done to this film because there are a lot of other effects tied into it, such as fragrances and wind effects. Any editing would throw these cues off. And they might be triggered by electronic cues in the soundtrack. Someone mentioned that the film reels are very heavy and that's true but Imax/Omnimax films are run through the projector horizontally and Soarin' is run in Omnimax HD (high definition) at twice the rate of regular Omnimax films.

jedimaster1227

I am happy to announce that I just returned from Epcot about 15 minutes ago and Soarin' was open in both theaters! The projector has been fixed. We were in line when the second theater re-opened. The line moved way faster, but the wait time was still 100 minutes.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
I am happy to announce that I just returned from Epcot about 15 minutes ago and Soarin' was open in both theaters! The projector has been fixed. We were in line when the second theater re-opened. The line moved way faster, but the wait time was still 100 minutes.

See someone took my advice...:D

jedimaster1227

I was glad to see that both theaters were open by the time I was there. I just think Soarin' was a great addition to Epcot. It will be my favorite attraction at WDW (That is, until the Dreamfinder returns to the Imagination Pavilion).

Teenchy

Glad to hear things are back up and running. Ill be heading down on 12/15.

I rode it twice a couple of months ago for the first time. Once up top once on the 2nd row.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can request when you get to the front of the line to wait for the next go around to be up top? Sort of like waiting for the 1st car on a coaster.

I'm not sure if they would be able to do that with the que area ?

I'm taking my parents and would love them to experience it on the top level without the dangling feet above you from the other riders.

yesterday it was up to 120 min. then they opened the second theater up and it went down to 50 min. me personally, i dont really like the ride but its a good attraction for epcot.

DisneyCane

Bytowner said:
I don't think typical negative editing and splicing can be done to this film because there are a lot of other effects tied into it, such as fragrances and wind effects. Any editing would throw these cues off. And they might be triggered by electronic cues in the soundtrack. Someone mentioned that the film reels are very heavy and that's true but Imax/Omnimax films are run through the projector horizontally and Soarin' is run in Omnimax HD (high definition) at twice the rate of regular Omnimax films.
The film editing and the special effects (fragrance, wind) have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. They edit the film first and then add the effects which are cue based. The projector outputs a timecode which tells the sound system and special effects system what frame it is currently on. The effects are just cued off of that timecode.

From an editing perspective, once they have edited the film, they know what frame number starts and ends each scene where they want effects. They just program the cues to that point.

Jose Eber

James Cameron attempted to do a digital IMAX and did a few shots with HD cameras apparently and scanned those in.

The effective pixels of an IMAX print are debated on the web -- 12-22 MP. So you need a serious camera and serious computer power and serious projectors to pull that off, but MAN would that be amazing to shoot IMAX digitally. I hope they are working on it!

Good to see theatre 2 is back up. I wonder if they've toned down the smells -- much stronger at Epcot I find.

Since1976

bgraham34 said:
I would not be able to wait 100 minutes for an attraction. No way I just could not do it.

Back in the days before Fastpass, everyone had to do it...

I tell ya, kids these days have it soooo easy at WDW!

mom2of2

Just got back from Epcot and went on Soarin' first thing this morning. The theatre that we went in the movie was fuzzy and jumpy the entire time. It was very hard to watch and gave our group a headache. I sure hope that it's fixed and soon.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I've found the film to be jumpy every single time I've ridden since it officially opened. It seemed much better during the sneak previews from before the Land's reopening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom