Soarin' Evacuation (7/16/19)

aaron611

Original Poster
Apparently there was a lightning strike that knocked out a transformer during the Monday evening storm that screwed up all the park ride systems.
On Tuesday, some parts of the electrical system were still out of whack; The Express Monorail was still DOA, and the Resort Monorail failed shortly after.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-often-does-this-happen.956478/#post-8783198

If it was merely a technical difficulty, they wouldn’t have rushed us out a back door and marched us across the backlot.

And they could have said “hey, we’ve got a technical problem here. Sorry for the inconvenience.”

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah, the number of straw man arguments in this thread are making my head spin.

Bottom line,
Ah, yes -- Disney's Exorcist Experience. That's usually a $99 upcharge.
giphy.gif

thomas998

In the event of the need for an emergency evacuation of the building which it seems like this was, having even one cast member worried about anything other than safe evacuation is one too many. The ONLY thing that is important is the safe evacuation of the building. I'm sorry, but demanding that somebody should have been focused on getting your FP back instead of safe evacuation of the building is an unreasonable demand. And not replacing your FP is not poor service, they did the most important service thing they could/should do by ensuring the safe evacuation of all guests and CM's.
The most appropriate way to have handled such an evacuation is for one CM to lead the group that is being evacuated out, the other CMs would be in the rear making sure everyone actually left. But once the lead CM had reached the final destination it would have been very appropriate for that person to give an explanation for why they had been evacuated, to have told people that if they wanted a makeup fast pass to wait until others from guest relations showed up to hand them out.

While the CMs would all have safety as the top priority, once the first CM had led the group out there was no reason for that CM to continue in "safety" mode as they were now beyond the threat and it would be foolish for them to go back to the threat, so it would be reasonable for them to then switch to customer service mode which they apparently didn't do.

aaron611

Original Poster
The most appropriate way to have handled such an evacuation is for one CM to lead the group that is being evacuated out, the other CMs would be in the rear making sure everyone actually left. But once the lead CM had reached the final destination it would have been very appropriate for that person to give an explanation for why they had been evacuated, to have told people that if they wanted a makeup fast pass to wait until others from guest relations showed up to hand them out.

While the CMs would all have safety as the top priority, once the first CM had led the group out there was no reason for that CM to continue in "safety" mode as they were now beyond the threat and it would be foolish for them to go back to the threat, so it would be reasonable for them to then switch to customer service mode which they apparently didn't do.

You nailed it.

Safety is first. But don’t just dump us back into the park and walk off without any explanation whatsoever.

kelknight84

If it was a regular CM and the evacuation order happened quickly, it's highly possible they didn't even know the reason for it at the time and were just following orders.

NickPytlinski

the self entitlement in this thread is unreal.

i'd be more worried about my safety than a fastpass.

if you didn't get an auto fastpass go to guest services cry babies

EDIT - or go back to the fastpass entrance and say you were taken off the ride a minute or so ago.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

It very well could have been a bomb scare, WDW gets many, and CMs were simply executing the evacuation procedure, in which case there nothing in their procedures to give out fast passes, they just want to get folks out of the building and also gets themselves out of danger too.

colliera

In May 2019 I didn't have a ride evacuation but did hold FP+s for a couple of rides that shut down during my window to show up. I received a notice in MyDisneyExperience App saying they were replacing my "lost" FP+ due to the shut down. I could use the notice to show any CM for any ride in the park affected for the next 24 hours. No muss, no fuss and I was able to get FP+ for an attraction I previously was unable to book. Great guest recovery.

Mickeyboof

We will never know. Because the CMs told us nothing.

We didn’t want to waste time walking back into the Land and down to Soarin to possibly wait in line for another hour or be told that it was not open . The kids and I just headed on to our next fast pass that we had scheduled.

As for the discussion above about “entitled guests“, I didn’t get all ****ed about it and neither did anyone else. The hundred people or so that were taken off the ride and dumped back into the park without explanation actually behaved extremely well, despite the circumstances.

We only spent $8,400 at Disney last week, so I really shouldn’t expect anything in return. ;)

You were safely evacuated from a dangerous and complex facility.

That’s your compensation.

Regardless, I was in the queue for Peter Pan. The ride stopped. Waited up to 25 minutes. Wasted a fastpass. No problem, went on with our night.

The next day, we stopped by City Hall when it was convenient for us.

They gave us a FastPass, and let us pick which park even!

Very solid customer service. And I spent a fraction of what you did that week on my trip :)

Last edited:

aaron611

Original Poster
It very well could have been a bomb scare, WDW gets many, and CMs were simply executing the evacuation procedure, in which case there nothing in their procedures to give out fast passes, they just want to get folks out of the building and also gets themselves out of danger too.

Yeah, the weirdness of the CMs and how they totally ignored anyone who asked a question immediately made me think of a terrorist threat or something.

But The Land wasn’t evacuated and Soarin’ continued running.

Like I said previously, my whole purpose in starting this thread was because it was so weird; I was curious if anyone had a clue what happened.

ENNIO69

DISNEY WORLD:
10-23 Stand-By Signal 4 Accident
10-26 OK Signal 25 Fire
10-45 Telephone Signal 29 Alarm
10-51 En Route Signal 50 Motorist Assist
10-54 Negative Signal 70 Lost Child
10-56 Meet In Person Signal 95 Susp. Person
10-96 Change Freq. Signal 100 HOLD TRAFFIC
10-97 At Scene
10-98 Finished With Assign.

race4beer

Yeah, the weirdness of the CMs and how they totally ignored anyone who asked a question immediately made me think of a terrorist threat or something.

But The Land wasn’t evacuated and Soarin’ continued running.

Like I said previously, my whole purpose in starting this thread was because it was so weird; I was curious if anyone had a clue what happened.
I was on Soaring when it was evacuated Friday 7/15/22. We were ushered into the park, nothing said from CMs. Went to Guest Relations and got a FP when I didn’t have one to begin with. The entire building was shut down for at least an hour.

Goofyernmost

I'm not disputing anything by this - - just stating that I find it a bit odd that it was a fire alarm, but the people in the ride didn't or couldn't hear it?? I'm suprised that legally WDW is allowed to "silence" the fire alarm in any part of a building open to the public and only make it known to CMs when it goes off??
It is an electronic alarm probably done with operation lights on the control panel or even phone. Hearing an alarm and being ushered out would have no advantage and would probably cause a degree of unnecessary panic that could easily slow the clearing significantly and could result in possible injuries.

Sorry I didn't read ahead and it appears that this has been basically presented a few times already.

Goofyernmost

So the lead CM would need to explain to literally hundreds of individuals why they were led out and also pass out passes. That is what guest services is for if someone feels that they deserver a replacement. Their job, leader or otherwise, is to get those people out safely and that is what they did. But no need to thank them, especially if there had been a fire and all those whose job it was to make sure that everyone was evacuated were the last ones to get out to safety. If they have a technical problem they have time to station someone there to do that, but if it is an emergency evacuation there is no time to load up on passes or electronically make that happen.

Last edited:

Married5Times

it could be anything. If there is a medical emergency, no one is told anything, and a safe evacuation is mandatory.

if one is doing some heart attacking right there strapped in on the glider or bleeding out too much tissue suddenly or dropping with his aneurysm then what in the world does that have to do with the other approx 90 guests waiting to take flight or hundreds in the queue??????

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom