So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 20: The Final Frontier(Land) - An Invite Only All Stars Event!

spacemt354

Chili's
1675402521026.png

1675402502760.png

That's my secret Ace, I never use links

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
This project was genuinely delightful to read from both teams. As I already mentioned, the number of brainstorming thread pages was pretty much neck and neck the whole time. It's not the easiest park to work with as far as the terrain goes and the fact that you can't really work with fully defined IP, but everyone rose to the task and created a couple of my favorite projects of the season so far. Both of these are fantastic in their own right so this truly is a "There are no losers" scenario.

I'll start with Nu-Eisner. First of all, the level of humor in this project was spot on between the glory that is Eisner Parton to the "hidden" meme. Just all around some really creative stuff that calls to mind Monkey's formative comedy-based projects that made him a legend in the game to begin with. From the second it got thrown out I thought the idea of using beavers was a stroke of genius and I loved absolutely everything about it. The ride itself just radiates that classic Knott's style charm and the use of multiple different levels for the show scenes was wonderful. @Brer Panther shines once again with some really great concept art. All in all a home run of a dark ride. If anything I could have used a bit more scene to scene detail, but the concept itself was amazing.

I'm not typically that drawn to inversions, but I do think this coaster would work really well in the marketing department to essentially be the Smiler of the US. There's definitely some really interesting design elements at play here. I especially love how the brakes are used to the ride's advantage to create some truly intense hang-time. Weirdly both teams copied elements from the Lagoon masterpiece "Cannibal". Here with the finale being very reminiscent of that ride's iconic "Lagoon Roll" and Nu-Chapek with the overall concept of an in-house coaster. With stuff like Lightning Rod and Thunderhead being airtime machines I think this would counter those experiences really well. I guess my only real concern is that the park already also has several inversion-based attractions like Tennessee Tornado, Wild Eagle, and I'd even argue Mystery Mine for the finale being the one element everyone agrees is great haha. This ride feels more like a "Greatest Hits" of the park's other inversion-based attractions than a true game-changer like Lightning Rod. Overall though, I think this team really nailed the project. It was a brisk, easy to read presentation that kept me engaged from beginning to end.

Nu-Chapek's contribution was also a real slam dunk. I love the location. It stuck out like a sore thumb when I was riding the railroad and really does feel like the next obvious plot of land the park has to work with. I think using folklore as a jumping off point was a really great call as it meshes really well with the park's other themes but doesn't clash or repeat any of them. All in all I loved the feel of the land. It has the same sort of secluded quality of Wildwood Grove just for a slightly more mature demographic. Areas like this really are needed within the park's layout as I feel like some of the park's overall themes (mining, eagles, butterflies, firefighting, logging etc.) sort of blend together in the more old-school areas. I think it's a really cool design in its own right since it creates some really striking park-wide visual motifs, the park is currently lacking in truly immersive stand-alone lands outside of Wildwood Grove.

Wildman is amazing. Simply put, it might be THE best coaster I've ever seen in this game. I love how it's essentially a next generation Beast without any of the pitfalls that made Son of Beast so infamous. @spacemt354, you're an absolute machine with the coaster descriptions. The Wild Man's S-Bend was a true "wow" moment for me, as was the tunnel finale. I was initially skeptical about the choice of a wooden coaster given that Lightning Rod and Thunderhead are already two of the park's more standout attractions, but I feel like this truly would rise to the ranks and become THE standout ride in the Dollywood skyline and would absolutely give the park a reputation as a wooden roller coaster destination ala Holiday World. I can't say enough good things, just a truly innovative ride.

I was equally blown away by Folklore River Journey, which reads as a spiritual successor to @KingMickey's game-winning mythological creatures E Ticket in season seven. Some of the descriptions here are flat out gorgeous and some of the best writing I've seen in the game in some time from a sheer prose point of view. I love the emotions this thing conjures up and just how many original concepts and creatures there are. It also gives me some strong Ghibli vibes. The combination of this as a truly destination-worthy dark ride with Wildman as a new world class wooden coaster in an era where the genre seems all but extinct...yea, this is a BIG one-two punch!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Not an image I really needed before bedtime

View attachment 696223
You're welcome lol

Looks like Imagineering is retheming the stretch between Pirates and BTMRR to New Orleans and boy do I feel vindicated after what happened during SYWTBAI18.

Also great projects, guys. I’ll try to take a look at them over the weekend, but brainstorming on both teams was a lot of fun to read.
I honestly feel like Country Bears is on its last legs here. Because it exits right into Pecos Bill's and if we read the same rumor Pecos Bill's is what's getting the retheme next. And Country Bears has been rumored to be on the chopping block for years. Or at least expected to get a huge refresh to remove some of the more problematic elements.

Once Pecos is gone, Country Bears would be the only thing really stopping all of Frontierland becoming New Orleans or Bayou themed. Then a new Frontierland could be built around Thunder Mountain as the transition to those new lands theyre designing behind the rivers of america

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
You're welcome lol

I honestly feel like Country Bears is on its last legs here. Because it exits right into Pecos Bill's and if we read the same rumor Pecos Bill's is what's getting the retheme next. And Country Bears has been rumored to be on the chopping block for years. Or at least expected to get a huge refresh to remove some of the more problematic elements.

Once Pecos is gone, Country Bears would be the only thing really stopping all of Frontierland becoming New Orleans or Bayou themed. Then a new Frontierland could be built around Thunder Mountain as the transition to those new lands theyre designing behind the rivers of america
That would be a huge bummer. Maybe they’d consider a reimagining of the show. But I won’t hold my breath either way.

JokersWild

You're welcome lol

As sad as I’d be to see CBJ go away, Tokyo’s version is just so far superior in every way. I’m really not sure how I feel about all of Frontierland becoming a New Orleans land, but it makes sense that it’d start moving in that direction if only for consistency.

ThemeParkPriest

ThemeParkPriest's Quick Reviews
I went to Dollywood in spring 2021. It was a great experience, and I hope to get back at some point! It is an oddly-shaped park due to the topography. Luckily the park has been designed in such a way that the hills aren’t noticeable when you are walking around (unlike its sister park of Silver Dollar City), but that was an element of realism I was interested in when I was looking at the projects. Overall, it was fun to look at both projects!

Folklore Landing (Nu-Chapek)
Screenshot 2023-02-03 11.14.12 AM.png

You chose a good, flat, unused area for the land. It did take a bit for me to get the bearings on where this was. Also, the red line for the railroad was a bit confusing as it looks like the railroad ends at the shop. Anyways, overall it seems like a good addition to the park although its theme is a bit darker than the Patriotic/rustic themes throughout the rest of the park.

Luther’s Lodge and Flying Squirrel (Nu-Eisnerwood)
Screenshot 2023-02-03 11.29.11 AM.png

Luther’s Lodge: a flat and unused piece of land (so no need to remove anything). It seems like this should be an extension of Rivertown Junction, but the queue comes out of Country Farm.
Screenshot 2023-02-03 11.28.28 AM.png

Flying Squirrel: I think the location would be fine as coasters are about the only thing that would work on that hill.
Oh and I’m a rebel. I found the meme. ;)

OSUPhantom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom