So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 20: The Final Frontier(Land) - An Invite Only All Stars Event!

Disney Warrior

You know what time it is…

Eisner

First off, I’ve never heard of a “land rock”, is that something from an alternate universe? I like that Weird Al broccoli art, he almost looks like that Abe Lincoln profile picture you’ve got there @Pi on my Cake . Those parody songs give me quintessential Weird Al vibes, maybe that could become @ThemeParkPriest ’s new side job lol.

Anyways, this ride-through gives off major @PerGron vibes with the nature ride (glad the educational premise is still kept despite the goofy nature of Weird Al). The Pop Corn joke
is very funny. What would edible flowers even taste like? Chocolate? Fruit? Love the Food Rocks references. This ride would be a blast to ride on, not just for the laughs. I even think that grandparents, Amish people, and hermit crabs that know little to nothing about this legendary guy will still find a kick out of this ride.

Chapek

From the name, this project gives off vibes of an armchair imagineer who loves Toontown (that I’m not going to name since I’ll only tag people that are participating or judging/hosting in this comp). From what I’ve seen in the brainstorming, this project is in a different direction from the other team’s (no funny parodies, just a theme change), which I’m not going to hold against you, as I think that it is a good twist. The name also gives me Toontown Tower Hotel vibes.

Von Drake is a good host, though I personally would have loved to see Oswald as a host (since he is practically in Mickey’s shadow). Any rider that can correctly name all of the characters is a big Disney nerd. @Lizzy May Bee again with the great art. I don’t think I’ve heard of this “Julius” person. Of course Roger Rabbit appears, it’s as inevitable as Wave 6 of the Booster Course Pass containing Wii Rainbow Road. @Tegan pilots a chicken you are an absolute madman. Mr Toad’s appearance makes me wish that he still had an attraction in WDW. I love the inclusion of characters from box office bombs, but you’re missing characters from Cats 2019 (oh wait)! I found Weird Al, of course he would agree with dressing up in a chicken suit like Al from Toy Story 2, it only seems logical. The Ghost Host being self aware of budget cuts is one of the funniest things I’ve read in armchair imagineering this year. When I first read the gift shop name, I thought it said “Museum of the Weird”, like the scrapped attraction. (That idea had so much potential to include Al, too). Love the jabs at team Eisner, as well.

Anyways, both teams did great jobs with their funny rides, the winner will be revealed by someone who is not me. I might be white and nerdy irl lol

-Disney Warrior

Last edited:

PerGron

You know what time it is…

Eisner

First off, I’ve never heard of a “land rock”, is that something from an alternate universe? I like that Weird Al broccoli art, he almost looks like that Abe Lincoln profile picture you’ve got there @Pi on my Cake . Those parody songs give me quintessential Weird Al vibes, maybe that could become @ThemeParkPriest ’s new side job lol.

Anyways, this ride-through gives off major @PerGron vibes with the nature ride (glad the educational premise is still kept despite the goofy nature of Weird Al). The Pop Corn joke is very funny. What would edible flowers even taste like? Chocolate? Fruit? Love the Food Rocks references. This ride would be a blast to ride on, not just for the laughs. I even think that grandparents, Amish people, and hermit crabs that know little to nothing about this legendary guy will still find a kick out of this ride.

Chapek

From the name, this project gives off vibes of an armchair imagineer who loves Toontown (that I’m not going to name since I’ll only tag people that are participating or judging/hosting in this comp). From what I’ve seen in the brainstorming, this project is in a different direction from the other team’s (no funny parodies, just a theme change), which I’m not going to hold against you, as I think that it is a good twist. The name also gives me Toontown Tower Hotel vibes.

Von Drake is a good host, though I personally would have loved to see Oswald as a host (since he is practically in Mickey’s shadow). Any rider that can correctly name all of the characters is a big Disney nerd. @Lizzy May Bee again with the great art. I don’t think I’ve heard of this “Julius” person. Of course Roger Rabbit appears, it’s as inevitable as Wave 6 of the Booster Course Pass containing Wii Rainbow Road. @Tegan pilots a chicken you are an absolute madman. Mr Toad’s appearance makes me wish that he still had an attraction in WDW. I love the inclusion of characters from box office bombs, but you’re missing characters from Cats 2019 (oh wait)! I found Weird Al, of course he would agree with dressing up in a chicken suit like Al from Toy Story 2, it only seems logical. The Ghost Host being self aware of budget cuts is one of the funniest things I’ve read in armchair imagineering this year. When I first read the gift shop name, I thought it said “Museum of the Weird”, like the scrapped attraction. (That idea had so much potential to include Al, too). Love the jabs at team Eisner, as well.

Anyways, both teams did great jobs with their funny rides, the winner will be revealed by someone who is not me. I might be white and nerdy irl lol

-Disney Warrior

Would there be any way for folks in the future to just use the standard text color instead of switching specifically to black for us dark mode users?

JokersWild

Would there be any way for folks in the future to just use the standard text color instead of switching specifically to black for us dark mode users?
I think it's from trying to switch back after coloring text.

PSA: If you're changing your font color don't manually change it back to black after you've typed in a different color. Instead, click the little eraser in the bottom right corner of the font color menu. This will remove formatting completely, making it so your newly written text looks how it did before you changed the color. So, normal users will have black text and dark mode users white, instead of everyone getting black text. As another dark mode user I'd really appreciate it.

Outbound

This is a challenging project to guest judge. For one, I'm not very familiar with the style of Weird Al. Second, as a joke project, humor is always subjective but also the primary judging criteria. So please don't take anything from the reviews this round too weirdly... ok I'll stop.

Team Eisner - Living With the Land Rocks
As one of the more serious Disney attractions, Living With the Land is an inspired choice for a parody. It's so out of the left field it works. At the same time, it plays well into a certain player on your team's greatest strength, and has focused yet surprisingly varied joke opportunities.

This projects greatest strength - and its greatest hinderance - is Weird Al. The prompt is to capture the essence of Weird Al, and it’s your call to incorporate Al himself anywhere from cameo to main focus. You’ve satisfied the prompt by dedicating most of the overlay to Weird Al, but the downside to this is potentially missing out on other joke opportunities, if say Al played a less major role. On the flipside, Chapek took the exact opposite approach - I don’t think either way is inherently a better choice, just different design decisions I wanted to highlight.

Your presentation videos and logo are a highlight! I love small yet artfully crafted additions like this.

Moving to the ride itself, I think your project really comes into its own once the greenhouses begin. From here, the more linear dialogue puns are swapped for more inspired “Land” jokes and visual gags. These connect both Living With the Land and Al’s comedy style well, though I do wish there was a bit more to chew on. Consider Living With the Land is the longest Disney attraction, at 14 minutes.

That said, I understand the limited time you had on this projects, and of you what you have, it all ties together wonderfully. Joke projects can sometimes be difficult to coordinate and stay thematically consistent, and that’s a problem this team avoids entirely.

This a consistent and well-crafted Weird Al Parody, and despite your creative choice of attraction and accompanying videos, I overall feel it’s a safer if still excellent approach to a challenging prompt. There’s nothing wrong with it, but I wonder if Team Esiner could have pushed just a bit further beyond Weird Al, and replicated the lightning in a bottle of the greenhouse throughout the entire overlay. Still, it’s a fantastic project and a wonderful entry for Team Eisner!

Team Chapek -- The HaunTOON Mansion
I’ll get straight to it: the Haunted Mansion isn’t my first pick for a parody overlay. It’s already a fairly comedy-packed ride, has a famous overlay already, and is such a classic overlays for it have been written again and again. Needless to say, I had some worries watching the brainstorming process.

And it turns out… my worries were completely unwarranted!!! Your overlay knocks any concerns out of the park, completely justifying the Haunted Mansion as the only place a ride like this thematically works while “possibly” (?) even staying true to the spirit of Weird Al!

I put possibly in quotations because as I said above, I’m not very familiar with Weird Al. But for a layman, your reasoning of Al representing half-forgotten characters and stories make complete sense. It hits the prompt dead-on, but does so in a creative and unexpected way! Even better, keeping the spirit of Al but not his presence throughout the attraction opens the parody to a wider target demographic. I don’t usually consider realism for joke projects, but when a team finds a creative way to make something so ridiculous half-plausible, I do like to give a shout-out.

Like Esiner, this overlay is relatively consistent throughout, despite its even wider variety of jokes and IPs. Von Drake really ties it together, and I’m so glad he’s the lynchpin rather than Al, which would definitely have been the more straightforward approach.

Ironically, the one piece of this project that doesn’t quite gel with the rest for me is Weird Al himself. You had to include him, but the way you’ve done it is, while witty, a bit random outside the Doylist (out of universe) reason of “prompt requires he cameo”. I don’t imagine most guests would recognize Al is Weird Al, and those that do would probably just be confused by it all. It's not so much a realism thing as much as internal thematic consistency, but I do think other than this short quirk the rest of the project is very consistent in its half-parody, half-genuine Disney overlay. Maybe Al provided creative inputs during the design process, so the Imagineers, in their all-encompassing dry humor, decide to give him a voice cameo haha.

But this is truly the smallest inconsistency for me, and I’m not even sure how it could be done in light of the prompt. This project certainly adopts a more unorthodox approach than its competition, which has both upsides and downsides. But I very much enjoyed it’s creative interpretations. Altogether, a fantastic project to which I wouldn’t change a thing.

Final Thoughts
This is a tough battle that ultimately comes down to two very different Imagineering approaches. Both teams have done their best, both this round and last.

Tonight will be the first elimination of the game. Whatever happens, everyone’s done an amazing job so far - don’t let a loss or even elimination push you back. There’s many more opportunities for Imagineering to come, and just by your invitation to the game, not to mention trying your hardest on these first two performances, you’ve demonstrated a mastery of its play. This will be a difficult game, but don’t let that detract from your enjoyment of Imagineering and even the things beyond that. Because from what you’ve demonstrated in these last two rounds — even beyond the game, when you set your mind to it — you’ve got this!!!

Chaos Cat

Nah. We're never gonna give them up
Never gonna let them down?
Never gonna run around (because the CMs are telling us to walk)
caddullfdcb31.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom