So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 19 - Madcap Circus [CONCLUDED]

Mickeynerd17

The Minecraft artwork by @Mickeynerd17 is good, as always. Maybe their talents could do more than simply recreate the Enterprise, since there’s plenty of preexisting pics available.
Yea, I was neck-deep in building The Living Seas for my project to release within the week. Thankfully I'm finished with that.

I also worry a bit that I'm wearing out the Minecraft in presentations. It's all I've been doing so far.

(Proof I was building The Living Seas (taken today))

IMG_20210617_173736_464.jpg
IMG_20210617_173736_536.jpg

JokersWild

Original Poster
JokersWild's Piping Hot Fresh Reviews
Don't really have much to say as an intro this time around, so I'll just get right into it.

Team Ringling
Star Trek: The Final Frontier
First and foremost, let's get your team's performance out of the way. When reshuffling the teams, Tiki and I tried our best to make them as balanced as they could be. Obviously that didn't quite work out, and I'm honestly kind of surprised. Even those of you who were active in past rounds dropped off a bit during this round. I don't know if it was the prompt not grabbing you guys or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but I think it's worth noting. Despite that handicap (and the fact that your team leader, @Orange Cat/ Garfield Fan/ Honey Bee/ PuffleFan/ Puffs/ Disneypugs dropped out of the game with about a day to go before the project was due) you guys were still able to pull out a competent project, which is something to be commended. And, better yet, it seems like some of the more absent members are already present for Project 4, which I hope sticks. With that mess out of the way, let's get on to the actual project.

First and foremost, I appreciate the timeframe. I think that it was an interesting way to look at this project by making it a sort of period piece. However, I don't think that it was a smart choice in the long run. Star Trek is a great IP to work with if you really want to use an IP, but I think that your biggest negative is that you limited yourselves.

In terms of your project as a period piece (which I guess you could call it?) when we asked for innovative coasters, I think we all were expecting something...innovative. Personally, I was expecting something more modern utilizing modern, or at the very least plausible, technology. While I think that you concept is unique and definitely out of left field, I don't think it works that well practically. You guys didn't really take advantage of the attraction being a rollercoaster. The coaster's layout is pretty standard with nothing really setting it apart from the competition. Which begs the question - why is this a rollercoaster in the first place?

I like the concept of the enclosed space. Theming rollercoasters is always really tough, and I guess this is a solution for it, but it's far from perfect. People were already getting sick when a bunch of parks introduced VR headsets to their coasters; I'd worry even more for something even larger with no windows. I would have appreciated some more detail on the inside of the cabin as well. I know that lighting effects were mentioned, but is the rest of the inside themed? Details like that would really help justify the ride system for me.

I'll end this review here because I think that I'm getting way too negative and you guys don't want to hear that, and frankly you don't deserve that. I really appreciate the effort that you guys put into this, and I think it's commendable that you were able to put this project together to quickly. I just could have used more, y'know? I think that the concept itself is flawed, but if there was more detail and focus on the actual ride experience, you would have been able to at least justify some of the choices made. Sorry again for this being so long and negative. I love you all. I'm extremely excited to see what you do next round.
Creativity: 7/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 7/10
Presentation: 8/10
Teamwork: 5/10
Center Ring Bonus: +5
Total: 34/50

Team Barnum
Candy Calamity

First off, I just want to explain my love affair with Hersheypark. I grew up going there, and it's one of my favorite theme parks. For being such a large park, it just oozes charm and is one of the few corporate parks that weirdly uses its IPs well. Between Reese's Cupfusion, The Kissing Tower, and a bunch of others I don't feel like listing, Hersheypark has a history of utilizing its candy brands in unique, weirdly good ways. And I think that you guys did a really fantastic job sticking to the spirit of the park.

Right off the bat, was Candymonium really ill-received? I haven't ridden it, but I've seen a lot of positive buzz surrounding it. This is a genuine question and I'm genuinely curious. I assume that it was just a way to justify your location with the park being so tight? I tried finding a better spot, but ooh boy is there really not any room for a rollercoaster. The only plots that I could really think of working were Trailblazer's footprint, since the ride is so old and honestly there are much better mine train coasters around, or MAYBE the area where the bumper cars and the theater (Music Box Theater?) are now, right across from Reese's Cupfusion. It's not a huge deal, but I do think that your placement is a bit of an issue from a realism perspective.

So I both love and hate the setup. On one hand, you've built a fake chocolate factory about 1,000 feet away from a fake chocolate factory. On the other hand, I think that you did it better than any of the refurbishments the chocolate tour has received in the past 15ish years. I love the feel and the general playfulness. I also really love that you've incorporated the Hershey characters into your attraction - something that Hershey hasn't done in a really long time. I'm also mildly disturbed by the placement of the Ice Breakers Mints tabs, but that's beside the point.

Your ride system is interesting, but I do wonder how spinning would work on such a tall coaster. I can picture it being a bit too extreme for some guests. Outside of that, I love the focus on each of the ride's elements. That really helps push the realism of your project. I wouldn't necessarily call your attraction innovative, but I think that the way everything was used together made it innovative, if that at all makes sense. I also adore the idea of color-changing coaster cars. That's an absolutely fantastic idea, and I'm surprised that it's never been tried before since the science behind it is pretty simple.

Onto the actual theming, I think that it's largely successful. I really love that you guys tried to give a bunch of Hershey products representation. It kind of screams "Corporate Synergy - The Ride" to me, but taking the cynicism out of it, I think it's a great concept. One note though - Hershey doesn't technically own Kit-Kat. Hershey only licenses it from Nestle in the US, which is why there aren't any Kit-Kat characters or attractions based on the product in the park. Other than that super minor nitpick, I love all of your choices and the lengths that you guys went to make each section "feel" (I guess?) like the candy.

Presentation is great. Animations are great though ridiculous at times (I want the Big Finish to come with cartoon crash sounds.). All of the art is really fantastic as well, right down to the element logos.

All in all, I really do love this project. Despite some issues with the placement and practicality of some of the elements, I think that you guys put something really special together. Really, I think I just like how well this ties Hersheypark together. Great job!
Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 8.5/10
Teamwork: 9/10
Total: 48.5/50

Team Bailey
Lycan

I think that Alton Towers was a great choice. Like Hulk said, they've been doing literally what the prompt was asking for since the '90s. And Lycan is a really natural fit for the park. I worry that the park has a few too many horror-themed rollercoasters now, but that really doesn't matter too much. And frankly, your coaster was probably the most innovative of the three with the ride system literally transforming partway through the ride.

I love the backstory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems a lot darker than normal @PerGron fare, and I'm here for it. I know that some might have issues with such an in-depth backstory, but I think it works really well for an attraction like this, and is totally something that could be sold by the park rather than explicitly stated in the ride. And, of course, a lot of it seems to be explained visually in the queue which I always appreciate as well.

Witcher 3 art is a bit unexpected, but I'm here for that as well lol. And now there's Wild Hunt references - I'm wondering if this is intention ;)

Realism is way on point, between the sketches and comprehensive descriptions. Everything sounds plausible. The actual attraction is just perfect for an Alton Towers coaster. While I'm not sure about the use of what I think are animatronics toward the beginning, I think that the sets and settings of your coaster are what really shine. The setup with the mummers, the werewolf itself, and of course the track switch all just create a wonderful atmosphere and experience.

In general, the presentation was great. I might be the only one, but I had a bit of trouble navigating the site. While I liked how it was set up like a timeline, I got lost a few times and found myself having to scroll up and down to follow dots and figure out what I was supposed to be reading next. @AceAstro's video was superb - a great mood setter. "In The Hall of the Mountain King" again just adds to the realism of the project and really helped this feel like an Alton Towers attraction. The tweets were great and were very effective at setting the mood.

All in all, amazing job all around. I think that at the very least, this was the most consistent and innovative of the three. Everything checked out, the set up and payoff were both spectacular. Just everything worked for me. Great job, guys!
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 9.5/10
Total: 49.5/50

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Yea, I was neck-deep in building The Living Seas for my project to release within the week. Thankfully I'm finished with that.

I also worry a bit that I'm wearing out the Minecraft in presentations. It's all I've been doing so far.

(Proof I was building The Living Seas (taken today))

View attachment 564577View attachment 564578
This might actually be my favorite one so far

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Right off the bat, was Candymonium really ill-received? I haven't ridden it, but I've seen a lot of positive buzz surrounding it. This is a genuine question and I'm genuinely curious.
If we got this wrong it’s 100% on me. When it debuted I saw a lot of chatter on YouTube about it being “too short” or “underdelivering” but maybe that narrative has changed as people have actually ridden the ride instead of judging it from a POV. If it has been really well received, good! I’m glad! I truly want it to be well loved.

D Hulk

When it debuted I saw a lot of chatter on YouTube about it being “too short” or “underdelivering”
Every single Hersheypark coaster is like that.

I think park management does this on purpose, probably to save some cheddar, which is a damn shame since with proper second halves their most innovative rides like SkyRush (ignoring those restraints) or Storm Runner could possibly reach "best in the world" status.

Chaos Cat

JokersWild's Piping Hot Fresh Reviews
Don't really have much to say as an intro this time around, so I'll just get right into it.

Team Ringling
Star Trek: The Final Frontier
First and foremost, let's get your team's performance out of the way. When reshuffling the teams, Tiki and I tried our best to make them as balanced as they could be. Obviously that didn't quite work out, and I'm honestly kind of surprised. Even those of you who were active in past rounds dropped off a bit during this round. I don't know if it was the prompt not grabbing you guys or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but I think it's worth noting. Despite that handicap (and the fact that your team leader, @Orange Cat/ Garfield Fan/ Honey Bee/ PuffleFan/ Puffs/ Disneypugs dropped out of the game with about a day to go before the project was due) you guys were still able to pull out a competent project, which is something to be commended. And, better yet, it seems like some of the more absent members are already present for Project 4, which I hope sticks. With that mess out of the way, let's get on to the actual project.

First and foremost, I appreciate the timeframe. I think that it was an interesting way to look at this project by making it a sort of period piece. However, I don't think that it was a smart choice in the long run. Star Trek is a great IP to work with if you really want to use an IP, but I think that your biggest negative is that you limited yourselves.

In terms of your project as a period piece (which I guess you could call it?) when we asked for innovative coasters, I think we all were expecting something...innovative. Personally, I was expecting something more modern utilizing modern, or at the very least plausible, technology. While I think that you concept is unique and definitely out of left field, I don't think it works that well practically. You guys didn't really take advantage of the attraction being a rollercoaster. The coaster's layout is pretty standard with nothing really setting it apart from the competition. Which begs the question - why is this a rollercoaster in the first place?

I like the concept of the enclosed space. Theming rollercoasters is always really tough, and I guess this is a solution for it, but it's far from perfect. People were already getting sick when a bunch of parks introduced VR headsets to their coasters; I'd worry even more for something even larger with no windows. I would have appreciated some more detail on the inside of the cabin as well. I know that lighting effects were mentioned, but is the rest of the inside themed? Details like that would really help justify the ride system for me.

I'll end this review here because I think that I'm getting way too negative and you guys don't want to hear that, and frankly you don't deserve that. I really appreciate the effort that you guys put into this, and I think it's commendable that you were able to put this project together to quickly. I just could have used more, y'know? I think that the concept itself is flawed, but if there was more detail and focus on the actual ride experience, you would have been able to at least justify some of the choices made. Sorry again for this being so long and negative. I love you all. I'm extremely excited to see what you do next round.
Creativity: 7/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 7/10
Teamwork: 5/10
Total: 34/50

Team Barnum
Candy Calamity

First off, I just want to explain my love affair with Hersheypark. I grew up going there, and it's one of my favorite theme parks. For being such a large park, it just oozes charm and is one of the few corporate parks that weirdly uses its IPs well. Between Reese's Cupfusion, The Kissing Tower, and a bunch of others I don't feel like listing, Hersheypark has a history of utilizing its candy brands in unique, weirdly good ways. And I think that you guys did a really fantastic job sticking to the spirit of the park.

Right off the bat, was Candymonium really ill-received? I haven't ridden it, but I've seen a lot of positive buzz surrounding it. This is a genuine question and I'm genuinely curious. I assume that it was just a way to justify your location with the park being so tight? I tried finding a better spot, but ooh boy is there really not any room for a rollercoaster. The only plots that I could really think of working were Trailblazer's footprint, since the ride is so old and honestly there are much better mine train coasters around, or MAYBE the area where the bumper cars and the theater (Music Box Theater?) are now, right across from Reese's Cupfusion. It's not a huge deal, but I do think that your placement is a bit of an issue from a realism perspective.

So I both love and hate the setup. On one hand, you've built a fake chocolate factory about 1,000 feet away from a fake chocolate factory. On the other hand, I think that you did it better than any of the refurbishments the chocolate tour has received in the past 15ish years. I love the feel and the general playfulness. I also really love that you've incorporated the Hershey characters into your attraction - something that Hershey hasn't done in a really long time. I'm also mildly disturbed by the placement of the Ice Breakers Mints tabs, but that's beside the point.

Your ride system is interesting, but I do wonder how spinning would work on such a tall coaster. I can picture it being a bit too extreme for some guests. Outside of that, I love the focus on each of the ride's elements. That really helps push the realism of your project. I wouldn't necessarily call your attraction innovative, but I think that the way everything was used together made it innovative, if that at all makes sense. I also adore the idea of color-changing coaster cars. That's an absolutely fantastic idea, and I'm surprised that it's never been tried before since the science behind it is pretty simple.

Onto the actual theming, I think that it's largely successful. I really love that you guys tried to give a bunch of Hershey products representation. It kind of screams "Corporate Synergy - The Ride" to me, but taking the cynicism out of it, I think it's a great concept. One note though - Hershey doesn't technically own Kit-Kat. Hershey only licenses it from Nestle in the US, which is why there aren't any Kit-Kat characters or attractions based on the product in the park. Other than that super minor nitpick, I love all of your choices and the lengths that you guys went to make each section "feel" (I guess?) like the candy.

Presentation is great. Animations are great though ridiculous at times (I want the Big Finish to come with cartoon crash sounds.). All of the art is really fantastic as well, right down to the element logos.

All in all, I really do love this project. Despite some issues with the placement and practicality of some of the elements, I think that you guys put something really special together. Really, I think I just like how well this ties Hersheypark together. Great job!
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 8.5/10
Total: 48.5/50

Team Bailey
Lycan

I think that Alton Towers was a great choice. Like Hulk said, they've been doing literally what the prompt was asking for since the '90s. And Lycan is a really natural fit for the park. I worry that the park has a few too many horror-themed rollercoasters now, but that really doesn't matter too much. And frankly, your coaster was probably the most innovative of the three with the ride system literally transforming partway through the ride.

I love the backstory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems a lot darker than normal @PerGron fare, and I'm here for it. I know that some might have issues with such an in-depth backstory, but I think it works really well for an attraction like this, and is totally something that could be sold by the park rather than explicitly stated in the ride. And, of course, a lot of it seems to be explained visually in the queue which I always appreciate as well.

Witcher 3 art is a bit unexpected, but I'm here for that as well lol. And now there's Wild Hunt references - I'm wondering if this is intention ;)

Realism is way on point, between the sketches and comprehensive descriptions. Everything sounds plausible. The actual attraction is just perfect for an Alton Towers coaster. While I'm not sure about the use of what I think are animatronics toward the beginning, I think that the sets and settings of your coaster are what really shine. The setup with the mummers, the werewolf itself, and of course the track switch all just create a wonderful atmosphere and experience.

In general, the presentation was great. I might be the only one, but I had a bit of trouble navigating the site. While I liked how it was set up like a timeline, I got lost a few times and found myself having to scroll up and down to follow dots and figure out what I was supposed to be reading next. @AceAstro's video was superb - a great mood setter. "In The Hall of the Mountain King" again just adds to the realism of the project and really helped this feel like an Alton Towers attraction. The tweets were great and were very effective at setting the mood.

All in all, amazing job all around. I think that at the very least, this was the most consistent and innovative of the three. Everything checked out, the set up and payoff were both spectacular. Just everything worked for me. Great job, guys!
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 9.5/10
Total: 49.5/50
About our presentation, there's a present feature on the site that shows each section individually like a PowerPoint presentation, so you might have an easier time reading it that way.

Evilgidgit

Evilgidgit's Guest Review
Team Ringling -- Star Trek: The Final Frontier

Hey, everybody! Finally got around to actually contributing as a guest reviewer. As far as I am aware, I don't need to be ranking the project in the same manner as the official judges, and will be giving my overall thoughts.

--I do have to be blunt with the project, but while the idea of a Star Trek rollercoaster is a great idea, it has been done before. The Final Frontier brings to the mind the Star Trek launch coaster located at Movie Park Germany.

--The outcome of the project is based on the creative process, which was a bit muddled along the way, due to perhaps a lack of enthusiasm or anxiety for coaster design, personal commitments, and the unfortunate departure of @Orange Cat towards the ends, in spite of their abundant enthusiasm for the project.
--I do enjoy the idea of the coaster being a period piece, so it does make sense for the coaster have what was considered back then a new, revolutionary type of ride experience. However, what could be described as a simulator-on-a-coaster is a little tricky to realistically conceive. Although the concept sounds neat on paper, it likely wouldn't work as a functioning attraction. The same applies to the ride vehicles, which would at least when I imagine them in my head, have to be pretty big and bulky.
--Some visuals for Project Soundwave would have helped a little, like a reference guide.
--Love the Minecraft(?) created visuals for the Enterprise and backdrop, that fits in snuggly with the park's themes.
--The overall description and detail of the attraction is underwhelming, with barely any focus on the immersive experience and storytelling it is promoted as featuring, let alone what the attraction is actually like. In another form of attraction like Star Tours, this concept may have worked better, but deciding to try such a unique premise on a rollercoaster is admirable but a bit jumbled at best.

I do not want to be negative about the whole thing though. The teamwork in the project was good and I am glad that everyone worked together to present the attraction, which sounds really unique, but is mired by the final presentation (which may have been a limiting form for delivering information).

Live Long And Prosper Star Trek GIF

JokersWild

Original Poster
Every single Hersheypark coaster is like that.

I think park management does this on purpose, probably to save some cheddar, which is a damn shame since with proper second halves their most innovative rides like SkyRush (ignoring those restraints) or Storm Runner could possibly reach "best in the world" status.
At least Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and Great Bear are World Class. They're old, but they still count haha.

Hersheypark is really weird because it's trying so hard to be a coaster park, but at the same time it's oddly more than that. Between the zoo, the weird attractions and the general history Hersheypark absolutely could be a better park than something like Cedar Point if they invested a bit more into their coasters and leaned more heavily into the unique aspects of their park. But unfortunately we have this weird middle ground.

PerGron

At least Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and Great Bear are World Class. They're old, but they still count haha.

Hersheypark is really weird because it's trying so hard to be a coaster park, but at the same time it's oddly more than that. Between the zoo, the weird attractions and the general history Hersheypark absolutely could be a better park than something like Cedar Point if they invested a bit more into their coasters and leaned more heavily into the unique aspects of their park. But unfortunately we have this weird middle ground.
You’ll never hear me say this EVER, other than this moment, but Hershey needs to close that zoo. They put zero money into it and it’s just sitting there doing nothing. It’s one of very few real zoos (not counting roadside stuff like Joe Exotic’s place) that I think needs to go.

JokersWild

Original Poster
You’ll never hear me say this EVER, other than this moment, but Hershey needs to close that zoo. They put zero money into it and it’s just sitting there doing nothing. It’s one of very few real zoos (not counting roadside stuff like Joe Exotic’s place) that I think needs to go.
It's a really sad zoo. I think they keep it around solely because of the history surrounding it. At least it's free.

D Hulk

Hersheypark is extremely corporate. It’s one of the few independent parks which feels like part of a chain. Between the zoo, concert venue, water park, dark rides, historical areas, scattered moments of Disney-level professionalism countered by Six Flags-level moments of not even trying, the factory tour, creepy nearby hotel on a hill, company town vibes, and of course the roller coasters, it’s like they’re trying to be all things to all visitors, and in my experience each category under delivers as a result. It’s muddled. Cedar Point, with their fanatical pure focus on coasters, truly delivers on that particular front (plus much improved park services recently, and a really vibrant lakeside setting), which is done so well I’d consider them God Tier among theme/amusement parks. Within Pennsylvania, Kennywood and Knoebels embrace their history and weirdness more effectively than Hersheypark. But that’s just for my taste.

ZooMerica is simply depressing. 😢 It feels like a bear pit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom