So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

tcool123

They always do that. Attract subscribers with the classics and then remove them once enough people have subscriptions.
The other issue are pesky contracts that have been around since before any of the streaming services and each contract is so confusing! Like somehow Harry Potter was on HBO Max but Peacock has the rights now. Or like how the Fox movies are constantly shifting from Hulu, Disney, HBO Max and everyone else. Fox was just kinda throwing it’s film library anywhere it could hence why Disney+ has shifts in content as a different place gets the film.

Outbound

The other issue are pesky contracts that have been around since before any of the streaming services and each contract is so confusing! Like somehow Harry Potter was on HBO Max but Peacock has the rights now. Or like how the Fox movies are constantly shifting from Hulu, Disney, HBO Max and everyone else. Fox was just kinda throwing it’s film library anywhere it could hence why Disney+ has shifts in content as a different place gets the film.
don't worry just use the handy dandy 1291-page manual!

TheOriginalTiki

A few linear notes from the season retrospectives to get caught up.

Season Nine narratively really shouldn't have worked out as well as it did. Everything about that season from "PM-Gate" to insisting on strategy to @JokersWild being sent to Outcast Island right away was pretty much designed to fail in retrospect. It's kind of a miracle that it somehow became a classic in its own right and I still think Jokers win this time around was one of the biggest storylines for any winner. Let's not forget that not only was he sent to Outcast Island in round one, he came back into the main game at the merge only to be sent right back to Outcast Island again because of bad timing on a trip he was taking. He finally ended up solidifying his spot in the actual main game a couple rounds before semi-finals via a Walt's Vault twist. It truly was a bonkers narrative and he did a TON of solo heavy lifting to persevere through some legitimately unfair twists that we'd never pull off now adays.

Season Ten is one of my all time favorites. At the time getting to double digits was a huge milestone. Snoopy is one of my favorite winners because of how consistent he was with pulling off killer smaller scale additions to bigger group projects and that being a specific style he put his fingerprints on as a valid winning strategy. Of course this was also the debut of Basketbuddy's 3D concept art which was a HUGE deal and really went on to visually redefine what the game could be. MEW getting Miyazaki'd and Jokers once again continuing his getting eliminated right before the finals curse even after he'd won were icing on the cake narratively, but generally speaking this felt like a triumphant return to form as far as an emphasis on pure creative writing over strategy and drama.

Season Eleven was definitely a bit lowkey, but it had its moments. I'm still not a fan of how the season doesn't really have an identity and how we switched themes a couple rounds in. I had a big vision for a season-wide park building exercise that we really nailed with 1986 years later. The difference here was that it was essentially designing a whole Nintendo park, so it was one specific IP. Way too niche of a concept and I really should have had the foresight to see that it wasn't going to work. Just from a production point of view this one doesn't land with me because of how lopsided it is.

Season Twelve...I mean it's not as bad as season three, but that's about the best I can say about it haha. People constantly dropping out was genuinely depressing. The Blue Wedding happened essentially because I wanted some sort of narrative hook to the season and given the fact that the event is what the season is most remembered for I think I at least succeeded there, for better or for worse. One thing I will give credit for this season is that it's one of @monkey92514's stronger seasons. Him really coming into his own was one of the few redeeming elements of the last two VF-centric seasons.

As far as season 13 goes...I know @spacemt354 has thoughts and the Killer twist was certainly a daring and potentially unfair idea, but given the "13" of it all and the fact that it was the first WDWMagic era season, I truly think it's one of the most unique seasons we've ever had as far as game mechanics and narrative are concerned. I'd never repeat the killer twist again and it probably wasn't the best concept to introduce people here to the game with, but @RMichael21 is probably THE biggest "strategy" winner the game had ever seen. At the time it was the equivalent to if @AceAstro had won 1986. Very interested to see the reaction some of the newer people have to Joker's write up on that one. Should be an interesting conversation starter.

TheOriginalTiki

Oddly enough, I don't remember Season 12 haha
The main thing I remember about your role in it is me trying to recruit you for the Blue Wedding stuff and you wanting nothing to do with it haha. I guess maybe that's one of the reasons why in spite of it inarguably being a bottom tier season I still have some nostalgia for it. I believe it was right around that time the core Tiki/MEW/Jokers/Monkey quadrant was forming.

AceAstro

if @AceAstro had won 1986
DE14BF16-517E-4848-8CA5-E221B7D1FAE9.jpeg

JokersWild

Original Poster
The main thing I remember about your role in it is me trying to recruit you for the Blue Wedding stuff and you wanting nothing to do with it haha. I guess maybe that's one of the reasons why in spite of it inarguably being a bottom tier season I still have some nostalgia for it. I believe it was right around that time the core Tiki/MEW/Jokers/Monkey quadrant was forming.
Yes it was. I think it was just before our friend group properly formed. I remember having a horrible fight with you on Facebook after I was eliminated lol.

Also, @monkey92514 literally the only things I remember from Season 12 are the Rocky and Bullwinkle ride you and I worked on, and the Phantom Manor Christmas attraction that I worked on where no one knew how to brainstorm.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Absolutely!! And Fox definitely has by far the most confusing contract situations now thanks to the Dis purchase.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Pixar Rankings.png

So, You Want to be an Imagineer Historical Retrospective - Season 13

Season 13 - Get A Clue
Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @JokersWild
(Summer 2016)

1. @RMichael21
2. @Basketbuddy101
3. @SandyClaws
4. @mickeyfan5534
5. @FigmentsPigments
6. @KingOfEpicocity
7. @Flippin'Flounder
8. @Angels and Disney's
9. @disneydf
10. @TheDesignPirate
11. @spacemt354
12. @englanddg
13. @DSquared
14. @MANEATINGWREATH
15. @IAmNotAHufflepuff
16. @Poe Dameron
17. @iamaninsomniac
18. @disneyforever101396
After an almost two-year long hiatus, and a move to a brand new forum, SYWTBAI was back with a vengeance, boasting its largest cast at the time as well as the first that I can fully tag.

Season 13 was wild break from the status quo set during the preceding twelve seasons. While the familiar team gameplay remained, there was one very distinct twist added - The Killer Twist. Separated into two teams, Team Hightower and Team Mystic, contestants would work to complete a variety of projects. However, they'd also have to be on the lookout for the killer on their team who would be actively working to sabotage the team. Also present for part of the season was a proper storyline. Though it would become mostly abandoned as the game progressed, the season did have a full story, centered around SEA with contestants playing in Mystic Manor.

Obviously, Season 13 was the peak of the "Strategy Seasons" essentially making strategy necessary to progress in the game. This experiment was largely a success with two very enthusiastic killers, @mickeyfan5534 and @SandyClaws, wreaking havoc throughout the season and making it pretty far to the end. I know that @TheOriginalTiki and @spacemt354 have specific stories to tell about the season, so I'll leave the specifics to them, but overall the season was fairly successful if not controversial. The Killer Twist seems to have gotten strategy out of the game's system as the concept has been shelved indefinitely and heavy strategy and social gameplay has lessened considerably in recent seasons.

In the end, @RMichael21 beat the killers and took his place as the winner of Season 13.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom