So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

TheOriginalTiki

My answer:
AlertGloriousIcelandicsheepdog-max-1mb.gif

JokersWild

Original Poster
Pixar Rankings.png

So, You Want to be an Imagineer: Historical Retrospective - Seasons 1-5
So, You Want to be an Imagineer began in 2008 on Visions Fantastic, a Disneyland-centric forum that mostly closed in 2015. In the early days, stand-out players would be given "All-Star," "Wild-Card," and "Super Star" titles, depending on the impact they left on the game. For posterity, these titles will be noted in each season roster. There isn't a ton of information from these seasons, so I'm going to be speaking in broad strokes.

Blue - WildCard
Purple - All Star
Gold - Super Star

Season 1
Hosted by TheOriginalTiki, and Jagfkb

1. DisneyFreak59
2. Big Disney Fan (@mharrington)
3. CostaFreak
4. Basketbuddy101
5. EliSokool
6. Rachel
7. Maul2
As team projects weren't introduced to the game until Season 6, Season 1 featured strictly solo projects. @TheOriginalTiki was brought on last minute to help judge Season 1. Tiki would go on to host all other seasons, with a few exceptions that we'll get to in the coming days. One other person of note is @Basketbuddy101, one of SYWTBAI's two two-time winners, who got his start in Season 1 and has been appearing on and off since, most recently playing last year in Season 18. Despite being the clear front-runner during Season 1, BasketBuddy was unfortunately eliminated in 4th place following an underdog victory from another classic player, CoastaFreak. This upset set the tone for future seasons, proving that anyone can make it to the end with the right project. In the end, DisneyFreak59 became the very first winner of So, You Want to be an Imagineer.
Season 2 was more of an offshoot to Season 1, featuring a fair chunk of the same cast and similar solo gameplay. Unfortunately, there is not a ton documented from this season other than the final standings and a project or two. The standout moment of the season was Jagfkb's game-winning Sleeping Beauty - The Enchanted Musical, which is still considered one of the competition's strongest projects to this day.

Widely thought to be the worst season of the competition, Season 3 saw a myriad of issues, primarily stemming from the judging. One of the judges pretended to be a real Imagineer, and also worked to undermine BasketBuddy's work. Despite this hiccup, said judge left the boards and an judging issue like this has never arisen again. In the end, MadAboutMickey was victorious, and never played again.

Almanac
The Wall-"E"xpreience - BasketBuddy101 (Season 3, Project 4)

----------------------------------

Season 4
Hosted by TheOriginalTiki

1. BasketBuddy101
2. KingMickey
3. Enlight
4. JPhelps
5. Kileli
6. Jessiestudio
7. Romanarms
8. CoastaFreak
9. Disneylover4ever
10. Foxr06
11. World
The largest, and arguably most successful, of the solo seasons, Season 4 finally saw BasketBuddy101 secure his first victory, in a very close call between two stellar California Adventure projects. This season also introduced of the early-season mainstays like @KingMickey and Jessiestudio. A slight subversion of the formula of the previous seasons, Season 4 did introduce brief forays into team gameplay. Unfortunately, there are no surviving projects from Season 4 from what I can find. I'm sure they were great.

Season 5

1. Romanarms
2. CoastaFreak
3. ManEatingWreath
4. World
5. KingMickey
6. MaterA113
7. JPhelps
The final solo season. Following the success of Season 4, Season 5 was a far smaller and much more subdued season. However, this season carries a surprising amount of significance. Season 5 was the first seasons of two of SYWTBAI's biggest personalities - MaterA113, and @MANEATINGWREATH. Outside of SYWTBAI, Mater is actually the person who brought Imagineering competitions to WDWMagic with his and TrevorA's "The Imagineer." which ran for two and a half seasons between 2010 and 2011. MEW I think we all know. Though he doesn't play much anymore, you can still find him on the boards, currently working on the final iteration of his long-running "Mirror Disneyland" concept.

Season 5 is also famous for introducing an infamous concept - Lord of the Rings'd. Season 5 was the first season to introduce non-Disney-based projects, the first being an attraction based on the Lord of the Rings series. MEW, being very unknowledgeable in LotR, submitted a pretty bad project, leading to his early elimination. This project set a precedent for early seasons that weird IPs will sometimes make an appearance, and research is sometimes necessary to complete projects. Though this concept has cooled in recent seasons, it's still a very important thing for players to keep in the back of their head while playing SYWTBAI, or any competition for that matter. You won't always know the IP(s) a project calls for.

Nevertheless, Romanarms proved victorious, winning SYWTBAI Season 5. Unfortunately, like Season 4, to my knowledge all of Season 5's projects are lost.

Thanks for joining me for the longest entry in this historical retrospective. Tune in tomorrow for So, You Want to be an imagineer's first team-based seasons - Seasons 6 and 7!

Last edited:

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
View attachment 554632
Seasons 1-5
So, You Want to be an Imagineer began in 2008 on Visions Fantastic, a Disneyland-centric forum that mostly closed in 2015. In the early days, stand-out players would be given "All-Star," "Wild-Card," and "Super Star" titles, depending on the impact they left on the game. For posterity, these titles will be noted in each season roster. There isn't a ton of information from these seasons, so I'm going to be speaking in broad strokes.

Blue - WildCard
Purple - All Star
Gold - Super Star

Season 1
Hosted by TheOriginalTiki, and Jagfkb

1. DisneyFreak59
2. Big Disney Fan (@mharrington)
3. CostaFreak
4. @Basketbuddy101
5. EliSokool
6. Rachel
7. Maul2
As team projects weren't introduced to the game until Season 6, Season 1 featured strictly solo projects. @TheOriginalTiki was brought on last minute to help judge Season 1. Tiki would go on to host all other seasons, with a few exceptions that we'll get to in the coming days. One other person of note is @Basketbuddy101, one of SYWTBAI's two two-time winners, who got his start in Season 1 and has been appearing on and off since, most recently playing last year in Season 18. Despite being the clear front-runner during Season 1, BasketBuddy was unfortunately eliminated in 4th place following an underdog victory from another classic player, CoastaFreak. This upset set the tone for future seasons, proving that anyone can make it to the end with the right project. In the end, DisneyFreak59 became the very first winner of So, You Want to be an Imagineer.
Season 2 was more of an offshoot to Season 1, featuring a fair chunk of the same cast and similar solo gameplay. Unfortunately, there is not a ton documented from this season other than the final standings and a project or two. The standout moment of the season was Jagfkb's game-winning Sleeping Beauty - The Enchanted Musical, which is still considered one of the competition's strongest projects to this day.

Widely thought to be the worst season of the competition, Season 3 saw a myriad of issues, primarily stemming from the judging. One of the judges pretended to be a real Imagineer, and also worked to undermine BasketBuddy's work. Despite this hiccup, said judge left the boards and an judging issue like this has never arisen again. In the end, MadAboutMickey was victorious, and never played again.

Almanac
The Wall-"E"xpreience - BasketBuddy101 (Season 3, Project 4)

Season 4

1. BasketBuddy101
2. KingMickey
3. Enlight
4. JPhelps
5. Kileli
6. Jessiestudio
7. Romanarms
8. CoastaFreak
9. Disneylover4ever
10. Foxr06
11. World
The largest, and arguably most successful, of the solo seasons, Season 4 finally saw BasketBuddy101 secure his first victory. This season also introduced of the early-season mainstays like @KingMickey and Jessiestudio. Unfortunately, there are no surviving projects from Season 4 from what I can find. I'm sure they were great.

Season 5

1. Romanarms
2. CoastaFreak
3. ManEatingWreath
4. World
5. KingMickey
6. MaterA113
7. JPhelps
The final solo season. Following the success of Season 4, Season 5 was a far smaller and much more subdued season. However, this season carries a surprising amount of significance. Season 5 was the first seasons of two of SYWTBAI's biggest personalities - MaterA113, and @MANEATINGWREATH. Outside of SYWTBAI, Mater is actually the person who brought Imagineering competitions to WDWMagic with his and TrevorA's "The Imagineer." which ran for two and a half seasons between 2010 and 2011. MEW I think we all know. Though he doesn't play much anymore, you can still find him on the boards, currently working on the final iteration of his long-running "Mirror Disneyland" concept.

Season 5 is also famous for introducing an infamous concept - Lord of the Rings'd. Season 5 was the first season to introduce non-Disney-based projects, the first being an attraction based on the Lord of the Rings series. MEW, being very unknowledgeable in LotR, submitted a pretty bad project, leading to his early elimination. This project set a precedent for early seasons that weird IPs will sometimes make an appearance, and research is sometimes necessary to complete projects. Though this concept has cooled in recent seasons, it's still a very important thing for players to keep in the back of their head while playing SYWTBAI, or any competition for that matter. You won't always know the IP(s) a project calls for.

Nevertheless, Romanarms proved victorious, winning SYWTBAI Season 5. Unfortunately, like Season 4, to my knowledge all of Season 5's projects are lost.

Thanks for joining me for the longest entry in this historical retrospective. Tune in tomorrow for So, You Want to be an imagineer's first team-based season - Season 6!
Thank you for doing this! It’s wonderful to see the history of these games and competitions so thoroughly documented. I really appreciate your little blurbs about the individual seasons and I hope you continue those with further posts!

tcool123

Rode Velocicoaster yesterday:

I hate that ride so much I’m never riding it again. A lap bar is not enough to feel safe when you hit speeds of 70 mph, go upside down multiple times and various crazy hills. The amount of times the lapbar was rise as I rose was bit too much, would’ve been a better experience with a harness/shoulder bar. I don’t know bout y’all but I usually go to the parks for a good time , and I was crying at the end because I was so scared of falling out and dieing or something. I’d say it’s the most extreme coaster in Florida or at least for me. Second being Manta and after that I’m okay with most rollercoasters. Still say you should try Velocicoaster for yourself but yea if this was Roller Coaster Tycoon it be ruled as very extreme 😅

TheOriginalTiki

Season five is honestly such a bonkers enigma of a season. It's the shortest game in the franchise but also maybe the one with the most high highs contrasted against low lows. One of the big events that happened early on was one of the first team-based projects that we sprinkled in among the individual projects. It was a classic dark ride prompt. The twist was that each player on each team was assigned a different role. The loosing team would then loose a member based on what we thought the weakest part of their project was. If I remember correctly it was a tight race but Mater ended up eliminated as his team's project had a more book report story to it and he was in charge of story. That to this day is one of the stupidest eliminations on the judges part since Mater was one of the most active people in the cast and the decision was super abritrary. That along with the switch to Universal-based projects halfway through the season led to the departure of both Mater and KingMickey. Definitely a low of lows. To make up for it though, I strongly believe the switch to Universal projects in the second half is one of the best twists in the game's history and really set the stage for the prompts to take on a life of their own moving forward. Garrett getting Lord of the Rings'd was also an iconic moment and Romanarms vs. Costafreak is still to this day one of the most delightfully weird and somewhat lopsided final twos the game has ever seen.

Also just a bit more info on the mess that was season three. In all honesty were lucky season four turned out as well as it did because S3 was a trainwreck mostly due to my co-judge for that season. Without getting into too many personal details, let's just say this guy had issues As Jokers said, he tried to lord over everyone with the "Fact" that he was a real life Imagineer only to admit to that being a complete lie at the end of the season. The "Real life Imagineer" factor led to him having infamously harsh realism scores, and he had an active feud with Basketbuddy simply because he didn't feel like reading projects that long. I also vividly remember him bugging me on AIM (remember when that was a thing, kids!) at odd hours of the night to complain about his personal relationship drama. Keep in mind I was probably still in middle school at the time. While I'm stoked that MadAboutMickey along with DisneyFreak gave us some much needed female winner representation in the early days, that's literally the only kind thing I can say about the season.

DashHaber

I hate that ride so much I’m never riding it again. A lap bar is not enough to feel safe when you hit speeds of 70 mph, go upside down multiple times and various crazy hills. The amount of times the lapbar was rise as I rose was bit too much, would’ve been a better experience with a harness/shoulder bar. I don’t know bout y’all but I usually go to the parks for a good time , and I was crying at the end because I was so scared of falling out and dieing or something. I’d say it’s the most extreme coaster in Florida or at least for me. Second being Manta and after that I’m okay with most rollercoasters. Still say you should try Velocicoaster for yourself but yea if this was Roller Coaster Tycoon it be ruled as very extreme 😅
Wait, only a lap bar?! I thought shoulder restraints would be a given for a coaster with upside-down portions.

JokersWild

Original Poster

Ooh boy would you hate RMC coasters.

TheOriginalTiki

I love that this very description makes me as a coaster fan even more excited for it haha. One of the big issues for riding coasters for me now as a BIG MAN is getting stapled by the restraints. I always try to get as much breathing room between my body and the restraints as I can, so this description sounds like bliss. :hilarious:

TheOriginalTiki

Ooh boy would you hate RMC coasters.
Funny you mention RMC because I actually think their restraints are way too constricting. Yea it's great as a coaster fan to only have a lap bar for those maneuvers, but I swear I always get stapled into those lap bars so badly that the barrage of air time is physically painful on my nether-regions. It's not stand-up coaster levels of pain, but it's definitely enough to be actively uncomfortable.

AceAstro

Wait, only a lap bar?! I thought shoulder restraints would be a given for a coaster with upside-down portions.
You don’t need shoulder restraints on upside down coaster unless there’s a long portion upside down. Centripetal force keeps you in your seat on loops and corkscrews. A lot of the time coasters that do have shoulder restraints don’t even need them; they’re more for your “comfort”. That’s why things like Hangtime and Velocicoaster can get away with a lapbar only

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member

Omg I’m so so sorry you had such a horrifying experience!!!! *hugs*

It looked pretty violent from the on ride video we saw the other day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom