So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

mickeyfan5534

This is an easy one.

"I'll turn him into a flee. A harmless little flee. Then, I'll put that flee in a box. Then I'll put that box inside of another box. Then I'll mail that box to myself. And when it arrives...ahaha...I'll SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT I tell you. BRILLIANT I say! Or to save on postage, I'll just poison him with this!"

So many levels of funny going on here, from the repetition of the box inside of another box to the punchline of throwing the whole elaborate plan out to save on postage. God I can't get enough of it. I quote the whole thing whenever I can.

A solid runner up is "well by all accounts, it doesn't make sense..."
This is mine too.

spacemt354

Chili's
dfb548369c4f542ba7c947fd6c73dca7.png

Tux

QotD: What’s your favorite piece of animation (purely animation, ignoring dialogue, music, song, any of that) in any film?
I'm going to have to say it's a mix between the stampede scene from The Lion King, transformation from Brother Bear, all of Frozen 2, any animated bit with a character played by Robin Williams, and Fantasia 2000's Firebird Suite.

1589343926734.png

The amount of effort that went into the Stampede Scene with it's blend of CGI and digital 2D animation to form every single wildebeest and prevent them from clipping into the landscape and the scenes is amazing. The expressions are fantastic all throughout, expressing how terrified Mufasa and Simba equally are throughout the entire segment even without the dialogue. The mistakes that are made by Mufasa throughout the segment gives off an air of imperfection that makes the inevitable failure of Mufasa to save his own life even sadder since the audience tends to care more about a character trying than succeeding in these types of scenes, and he tried his very best until the end.

1589343972534.png

Moving onto Transformation from Brother Bear, the scene is drop dead gorgeous due to it's effective use of contrast, colors, and shading along with animation makes it if not the best, one of the best scenes in the entire movie. The scene in the Aurora Borealis with all of the Pleistocene wildlife bursting out and running around with the mix of color is one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in a Disney movie. Plus, there's the scene where Sitka flies down and comes back as a spirit, and you can just see the look of disappointment in his face at what Kenai has done. Then of course, there's also Kenai's expressions himself which fade from grief to confusion to fear and regret.
Next is all of the animation throughout Frozen 2. While the quality of the movie itself is pretty debatable, I think everyone can agree that the animation in the movie is gorgeous, fluid, and very dynamic all at once. Every shot of this movie is almost wallpaper material in just how pretty each shot is. Nevermind how wonderfully the shading and coloring is used to compliment and contrast itself to create some truly beautiful scenes.

1589344000849.png

Finally, there's the Firebird Suite, which in my opinion is easily the best Fantasia sequence of them all. This is mainly due to it's use of dynamic colors, contrasting lighting, and fluid animation, especially when it comes to the Firebird. Plus, the sequence in general is just..so pretty..

QotD: Fitting into this weeks theme: What is your favorite snack in the parks?

I'm going to be basic and say the Dole Whip, but, I've also always liked the Taffy from Goofy's Candy Co. also.
1589344034580.png

1589344065694.png
Continuing our food theme, today's Question of the Day: What is your favorite meal you’ve had in the parks?

The Miso Salmon at the Yak N Yeti was pretty good in my opinion.
1589344168703.png

QotD: What’s your favorite weird thing to do in the parks? The kind of thing that people give you looks for when you tell them you love it.

Just sitting down and enjoy the view of Tomorrowland and the soundtrack near the Tomorrowland Speedway. Usually it's where my family and I go to sit down when we need to take a break, or one of us has to run off to do something. That, or another thing that tends to surprise some Disney fans is when I talk about defunct attractions with them, since they usually only vaguely remember them (The Original JII), don't really care about the more familiar ones (Stitch in particular), or just straight up do not remember them (Horizons).

Who is your favorite character across the entirety of Disney (including Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Star Wars) and why?

Not a character, but rather two different characters that define an archetype seen in two different films. It's the wacky comic relief character who that turns out to have a really sad and messed up backstory that defines all of their actions and values in life that repeatedly get screwed over by life but still is shown to be a good person regardless of how much that backstory takes its toll on them and causes them to stress out about it.

However, I guess if I had to choose, I'm going to choose a character outside of that archetype and say General Grievous. By that, yes, I am including the CGI version even if he's very cowardly and not very intimidating. First of all, the intimidating aspects in the beginning in the animated version and how much of a threat he poses throughout it makes you feel like there are actual stakes whenever he appears which makes for a more impactful story overall. He has an interesting backstory, an interesting personality with some cool traits, and a cool role in the story. Also, it's fun to see how characters deal and interact with him. A lot of people wonder why he acts the way he does in the CGI series, but that takes place after Mace Windu crushes his lungs, which makes him weaker. Not saying the portrayal was great, I still think it could have been better, but it's understandable given the circumstances behind it. He's still chasing his glory days when they're far behind them. I just wish he had a better fighting chance and better success rate so it's not just "Welp. It's this guy again I guess...hooray...". Movie Grievous is far better than the CGI Grievous but not as good as animated Grievous in terms of greatness, however I'm still satisfied with Movie Grievous. Grievous at that point had became the hunted in this scenario and his own inability to accept that had caused his own doom when he didn't just sic all of the droids on him and decided to fight him face to face. Plus, he lost sight of the tactics ___ taught him along the way, which also poetically doomed him. I also feel like Grievous had to die at that point in the story because at this point he's meant to be a foil to all most of antagonists at this point of the story and there's only so much you can do with him before he finally just becomes a lesser version of them.
1589344220879.png

Plus, we got a cool meme out of it.
1589344282530.png

QotD
Who are your Imagineering influences?

I mean, Horizons was the main thing that inspired me to join the forum, and it's pretty much anything you could want in a traditional Disney dark ride, with an amazing soundtrack, a very pretty queue, a very interesting ride experience with how it unfolds the story without any narrative problems, it's originality, it's immersion, and the feeling of a mixture of nostalgia and hope it irradiates whenever you ride it.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Disney history video on Youtube? Defunctland or otherwise.

Defunctland is definitely one of the best out there, however I haven't seen anyone mention Bright Sun Films yet. I thought his videos on Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, and The Legendary Year Resort were pretty good. I also appreciate how he didn't try to make his videos on Discovery Island and River Country creepy and instead treated them like an actual piece of history.

UOTE="TheOriginalTiki, post: 9206901, member: 101658"]
What's everyone's favorite Defunctland video?
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to say it's that one Defunctland Yesterworld crossover discussing Body Wars. The line at the end of the video gave me shivers down my spine because it really is true.
That or the one on Disney's America also from how accurately it addressed the issues with the concept at the end of video in an allegory that works very well with the topics.

QotD
What is the best joke in a Disney movie?

Attachments

• 1589344110012.png
    1589344110012.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1589344153765.png
    1589344153765.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 54

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
QOTD: What's your favorite music loop in any theme park?

I'm partial to a few of them. I have some MAD nostalgia for the Main Street Christmas loop. The old Beach Boys Paradise Pier loop is a go-to for when I'm writing or reviewing Imagineering projects. I'd have to say Epcot's loops definitely have the most thought out progression to them. I love how The Living Seas breaks down into an almost Pink Floyd style surreal freak-out towards the middle of it. Gun to my head I'd have to say the Epcot Innoventions loop as my absolute favorite, though. It's a recent pick, having discovered it on my first trip to WDW in 2018, but the tune is just so triumphant and jaunty all the way through and has the sense of progression I was talking about to a T.

Sidenote...Bright Sun was my first love when it came to Defunctland style video essays. That channel absolutely deserves more attention. I'm a big fan of his retail videos like Target Canada.

tcool123

Islands of Adventure - Port of Entry. Listen Universal may fumble a lot when it comes to non Potter and non HHN elements at their parks. Islands of the Adventure (for the most part) is not one of those fumbles. The entrance loop is inspiring and sets the tone for the parks theme. It puts you into the mindset of adventure, and gets you ready for the day.

Also a shotout to the Animation Courtyard loop at Studios is not wowing but it fits the former tone of the area nicely

Tux

Sidenote...Bright Sun was my first love when it came to Defunctland style video essays. That channel absolutely deserves more attention. I'm a big fan of his retail videos like Target Canada.
The retail videos are really well written! Bright Sun Films and Company Man were the two channels who got me interested in abandoned retail in the first place. Do you have a favorite from the retail videos or no? If so, which ones?

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Islands of Adventure - Port of Entry. Listen Universal may fumble a lot when it comes to non Potter and non HHN elements at their parks. Islands of the Adventure (for the most part) is not one of those fumbles. The entrance loop is inspiring and sets the tone for the parks theme. It puts you into the mindset of adventure, and gets you ready for the day.

OMG, THIS! My last time in Florida I stayed on Universal property but spread the trip out to about 10 parks so I only got one day at the Universal parks. It was MADDENING to walk anywhere near Islands of Adventure and hear that music when I went to CityWalk (which was really frequent since that's where we had most of our meals)

JokersWild

Ooh where to begin:
.EPCOT 1982 entrance loop
.Ellen’s Energy Adventure
.The Living Seas (part of which can still be heard in the Coral Reef bathrooms)
.Journey Into Imagination
.Toon Lagoon (I think that it’s super unique)
.Tomorrowland
.Port Orleans French Quarter
.Pirates Overture
.The Land pavilion (if only because I can hear the ET Credits Theme.)

As much as I love IoA’s music, I really hate the Harry Potter loops if only because the only part I ever seem to hear is the last few bars of Sorcerer’s Stone’s end theme.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. EPCOT was really peak Disney parks composing.

PerGron

So the Innoventions Loop is amazing and I wanted to highlight it, but my all time favorite is the Tree of Life loop (surprise surprise, something Animal Kingdom). It’s super calming and it got me through many late night stressful study sessions. I still listen to it while cleaning enclosures. There’s something about the music that is calming to both humans and some animals (my zebras, parrots, and monkeys love it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom