So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HUB THREAD

mickeyfan5534

Review
Team Prospero

Redemption for Prospero comes after last week's mess. Not even a drop of steak sauce, let alone ketchup to ruin this amazing steak.
3a9.gif

Food metaphors and memes aside, this is very much my favorite project of the season, so much so that the few complaints I have amount to nitpicks. So much so that I have to review this section by section to praise each and every part of it.

Prologue
I'm such a ho for stylistic elements in a presentation. You know this by now. So this prologue? OUTSTANDING! It reads like a myth from a civilization long forgotten while also producing a really interesting and compelling backstory to the Port of Entry and, by extension, Legends of Literature. The Old Man and The Young Adventurer are drawn so well and really spring off the page while the story really draws you into the presentation proper.

Chapter One
The Marketplace seems like a really fun location to explore and really adds to this expansion. Additionally, I love that you set this in the world of your IOA redo. That kind of narrative consistency gets you a big plus in my book. The exterior fits to a T and really shows the care and attention to detail within the ride and that also shows in the first part of the queue. The fact that you clearly did a bit of research and didn't just stick to the Western Canon of Literature also shows. I said it in the podcast and your brainstorming thread and you clearly took it to heart which I am immensely thankful for. I feel like you could spend hours in this room and just keep finding new details and easter eggs.

Chapter Two
This pre-show: outstanding. A pre-show should never be there just to have a pre-show. It's there to establish the theme and the story. It's the thesis statement of the attraction. That is what I see right here. The main theme of Legends of Literature, that literature and stories are inspirational and will make you perceive the universe in a different light is established so well while we also get the first hint of the spectacle that is the ride with some effects that would be absolutely awesome to see in reality because of their simplicity producing something far more elaborate.

Chapter Three
And you continue that theme here. The Discworld, Oz, and The Little Prince inclusions are much appreciated here because I adore all those books. This room, in general, reminds me of the Great Movie Ride queue with the number of artifacts from films but you really expanded on it and made it that much more effective by placing it after the pre-show. My first critique: I would have added some variation to the ride vehicles. Imagine how delightful it would be for any literature lover to see a train of different vehicles from literature (keeping the same basic size and seat layout of course) from Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang to Baba Yaga's Mortar to a carriage out of a Regency romance to any other vehicle come out of the dark and into the load area. It'd really add to the fact that this ride is such a spectacular celebration of literature in its many forms.

Chapter Four
Mythology and Fantasy are kind of the perfect way to start this. They're probably the first genres of literature and that comes across so well. Let me just say: that presentation of the mythology section? So freaking cool. I don't know if I've ever seen something like that but it simulates the effects and movements of the scene really well. I hope to see more stuff like that throughout the rest of the competition.
I really love how the fantasy section builds up the trackless technology with the Chocolate scene. While I may not have chosen Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (you could have given me Ankh-Morpork or the Emerald City you cowards!) it's pulled off so well that I can't be mad at it. However, this also brings me into my second critique: why would you not go into horror with the perfect transition that is the Tunnel Scene and instead go into sci-fi with the absolutely hilarious "Secret of Life" from Hitchhikers (was this ride freaking made to appeal to all my nerdy loves?)

Chapter Five
Hitchhikers! My nerdy loves are out! My main complaint here is pacing. I adore each and every book chosen in this chapter but I feel like the pacing is really thrown off with
Willy Wonka > Hitchikers > Jekyll & Hyde > War of the Worlds > Pet Sematary > Cthulu > Frankenstein > 1001 Nights.
All of these work. They work really well actually. However, I think there's something to be said for the pacing of this stretch of the ride that doesn't quite work and with some rearranging could make Sci-Fi and Horror the standout stretch of the ride if it was rearranged to something like, for example:
Wonka > Pet Sematary > Cthulu > Jekyll & Hyde > Frankenstein > War of the Worlds > Hitchikers > 1001 Nights
You work backward from fantasy to horror to sci-fi to adventure for a smooth section that already really stands out in this ride but could standout even more.

Chapter Six
That "Open Sesame" scene feels like it would be iconic. Had this been an opening day attraction, I have no doubt that "Open Sesame" would be a key aspect in advertisements and it should absolutely be a key aspect of any advertising for this ride. Additionally, more trackless hijinks, always great. I love how well the ride system is used in this attraction. It's not over the top but it's not "you could have made this tracked and nothing would change" Another odd transition in here but one I really can't think of how to do any better than it is. You could definitely do some cool trackless stuff with the Lizzie/Darcy perspective scene. I was picturing the ride vehicles rotating in place to each scene rather than staying in place. Tiki is overjoyed at Gatsby, I'm sure.

Chapter Seven
This is kind of the perfect build to the finale: a smaller scene with Les Mis and then the massive, grand, epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms scene with a final touch of trackless hijinks in the maze. Additionally, I really love how this ride ends with a last encounter with The Chronicler and a restatement of that thesis from the pre-show about why literature is important.

Chapter Eight
If The Marketplace is an appetizer and Legends of Literature is the steak, then this is the dessert. I really like the little touch of the game in The Chronicler's Workshop because it feels like the perfect little thing for kids to play with while their parents shop.
The Writers Club brings a really wonderful bit of worldbuilding into the area. I think this would be incredibly popular amongst the locals and if well-cast, would rival some of Disney's own bar-entertainment concepts. I question the inclusion of H.P. Lovecraft since, great as his stories were, he was a genuinely terrible person who prided himself on being as awful a person as possible and even if it's simultaneously softened and massively exaggerated, it could produce some extremely awkward and not great interactions. Maybe Shirley Jackson, Daphne du Maurier, Bram Stoker, or M.R. James would be better choices to fill that horror author hole. It's a nitpick at the end of the day.
I could easily spend an evening just enjoying any of these parties though. The Romeo and Juliet moment I can picture being Drunk Shakespeare levels of hilarity. Much the same for all the Halloween hijinks. I can just picture William Shakespeare and Mark Twain turning into a Statler and Waldorf-type act during Lovecraft's rantings. But my favorite thing here is Christmas. There's just an inherently cozy feel to the idea of a Christmas party filled with classic authors and then that gets turned on its head with the comedy things like the White Elephant Gift Exchange and the interactions with other authors. Maya Angelou gathering donations is an absolutely marvelous touch and one that would totally gather a lot of good press.

Epilogue
Bookends! This wraps everything up quite nicely and makes for a nice outro.

Score
Creativity
: 10/10 - The IPs chosen were outstanding and a wonderful bunch, not necessarily the most obvious of picks but with a few left-field choices as well.
Presentation: 10/10 - Was I joking when I told you to run with the prose idea? Combine little touches like the Mythology scene the scene maps.
Detail: 10/10 - Dare I say it borders on too much?
Realism: 8/10 - With Islands of Adventure moving away from its literary theme in both reality and your universe, I don't know how realistic it is to pivot back into literature.
Group Work: 10/10 - This team! I love this team!
Total: 48/50
Possibly my favorite project of the season and certainly my favorite Prospero project. Amazing job and a massive kudos to @DashHaber for leading this outstanding project.​

JokersWild

Hitchhikers! My nerdy loves are out! My main complaint here is pacing. I adore each and every book chosen in this chapter but I feel like the pacing is really thrown off with
Willy Wonka > Hitchikers > Jekyll & Hyde > War of the Worlds > Pet Sematary > Cthulu > Frankenstein > 1001 Nights.
All of these work. They work really well actually. However, I think there's something to be said for the pacing of this stretch of the ride that doesn't quite work and with some rearranging could make Sci-Fi and Horror the standout stretch of the ride if it was rearranged to something like, for example:
Wonka > Pet Sematary > Cthulu > Jekyll & Hyde > Frankenstein > War of the Worlds > Hitchikers > 1001 Nights
You work backward from fantasy to horror to sci-fi to adventure for a smooth section that already really stands out in this ride but could standout even more.

Hard disagree. It was paced that way to ease guests into horror. I get what you're saying (the scene was originally supposed to start with War of the Worlds before I restructured it), but personally I'd rather use sci-fi/ War of the Worlds specifically to transition into horror than hard cut from the Wonka tunnel to Pet Sematary. Ease into horror through Jekyll and Hyde/ War of the Worlds, then back out and into adventure through Frankenstein.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
This was easily my most anticipated prompt of the season. When we got to a random question of the day about what other famous pieces of literature you'd like to see Disney adapt into an animated musical and we had so many varied responses, I knew we'd have something special on our hands. Let me first say this is the DEFINITIVE example of excellent teamwork that I've seen throughout the season, and the credit really goes to @DashHaber for not only stepping up to the plate, but for producing arguably THE strongest round as Team Leader. What I really valued was the feedback you gave on each individual portion of the project. You had a very clear vision for what you wanted to do with this project and you followed it through with great finesse.

As for the project itself, I honestly don't even know what there is to say. It's not the highest scoring of the project for me, but it definitely is a personal favorite and very much ticked all the boxes I wanted to it to tick. While I think one or two scenes bordered on a little too ambitious, the flow was there in full force and the transitions from scene to scene were wonderful. The choices of which books to include ranged from outside the box to genre defining standards, and fortunately because you put in The Great Gatsby I don't have to give you a 0/50 for your score. :p Major kudos to the world-building as well. The intro and epilogue genuinely gave me chills, and it all worked to build an atmosphere the reader of the project is invested in far before we even get to the first scene of the ride itself. One missed opportunity...I would have LOVED for the female adventurer in the story to end up being Penelope Toothsome. I was half-guessing that was going to be the big twist all throughout the project haha.

Creativity:
10/10 - The world and character building put this up this high. One warning though...the use of trackless technology is starting to border on repetitive.

Presentation:
10/10 - Simple but incredibly effective maps and reference images give the whole thing a very appropriate "novel" feel.

Detail:
10/10 - Perhaps a bit too much? I sort of agree with Mickeyfan here, but not enough to where it dragged anything in the project down and made me want to stop reading.

Realism:
8/10 - One or two of the scenes, notably the epic battle at the end, feel just a little bit too high scale.

Team Work: 10/10 - Every. Person. Delivered.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Season 18, Project Eleven: Shifting Lanes
n64_milos_astro_lanes_p_d8xkm0.jpg

This is a very straightforward project. Team Prospero must design a state of the art themed bowling alley based on a single IP. Please feel free to include all the fixings like dining options, an arcade, a bar, and things of that nature. The focus should remain mostly on the bowling alley itself and the challenge of how to theme a game that's so simple and straightforward. Six of you remain, and only FIVE will go to the semi-finals. @Outbound, @JokersWild, @NigelChanning09, and @goofyyukyukyuk17 are all eligible to become Project Leader this round. If @Outbound becomes project leader, his secret power/ability to save someone will become mute. Good luck team, this project is due Sunday, August 9th at 11:59PM Eastern.

mickeyfan5534

Season 18, Project Eleven: Shifting Lanes
n64_milos_astro_lanes_p_d8xkm0.jpg

This is a very straightforward project. Team Prospero must design a state of the art themed bowling alley based on a single IP. Please feel free to include all the fixings like dining options, an arcade, a bar, and things of that nature. The focus should remain mostly on the bowling alley itself and the challenge of how to theme a game that's so simple and straightforward. Six of you remain, and only FIVE will go to the semi-finals. @Outbound, @JokersWild, @NigelChanning09, and @goofyyukyukyuk17 are all eligible to become Project Leader this round. If @Outbound becomes project leader, his secret power/ability to save someone will become mute. Good luck team, this project is due Sunday, August 9th at 11:59PM Eastern.
And so the twist prompts come to a close. You had (what was meant to be) a large scale entertainment prompt, a different-type of E-ticket, and now a themed bar/restaurant with the focus on a different part than you may be used to.

NateD1226

A little late! Sorry folks!
NateD1226’s Reviews

Team Prospero - Legends of Literature
  • What a step up from last week! This was truly an amazing project
  • The prologue was amazing! It was so well written and the creativity was all there
  • I’m not sure if Islands of Adventure was the right choice as you placed in a dimension where you moved away from the idea of literature. Although, the Marketplace was a very fun concept
  • The exterior and queue were awesome. Lots of beautiful descriptions
  • I loved the list of all the items that were in the museum area. It really helped tie that whole section together
  • The scratch was wonderful and really added something unique to the project
  • The transitions from each scene were nice. It felt cohesive.
  • Some of the scenes felt a little too imaginative with too many big scale ideas that I don’t think would translate well realistically.
  • Backwater Bar was fantastic and gave the whole area that final push to fully complete and grasp the idea of this ride.
  • Overall, this was fantastic!
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 10/10
Presentation: 10/10
Group Work: 10/10

Tux

TEAM PROSPERO

THE GREAT LITERATURE RIDE

> I loved the amount of creativity used throughout this project! All of the options that were chosen throughout the project for their respective show scenes and for the segments they represented were all such great choices. I love how the prologue pays tribute to the park's lore of being based on literature as whole whether it be through paying tribute to source material or through exploring tropes and certain mediums as well as it's meta aspects. I also absolutely loved the architectural features of the exterior and how well it blends into the area while also being fairly unique and gorgeous looking as well. I though the queue, it's options, and the preshow were all amazing, and I love how they all also tie into the theme and help to properly represent it through their various features and how much it really holds up to the prompt itself in the end and how it winds up really following suit in spirit and paying respect to it to it's very core. I especially love the preshow and how it once again adds onto the backstory of the park and how it supports it. The ride type has been used a lot in current projects, something that has been stated by the other judges, which isn't very creative but given the in-universe explanation of it being due to it being an attempt to replicate the success of other attractions in the park, I understand, although I do feel as if more could've been done. Otherwise, I really do love the ride vehicle designs and how they tie into the ride and it's predecessor, and I love how creative most of the ride transitions were and how they truly utilized the trackless technology that was handed to them, especially in how many of the ride scenes are framed. I especially loved how the sci-fi and horror genres bled into each other, and all of the picks for certain genres were very fitting and extremely fun to see come to life. The Author's Choice is a very well thought out and fitting conclusion to an excellent attraction, and I love how everyone grabbed the metaphorical ball and absolutely ran with it. Good job!

> This attraction felt perfectly realistic and definitely feels like a well-rounded successor to The Great Movie Ride, one that's 100% worthy of the e-ticket status that was intended for it upon it's conception. It feels as if it really is if it was a different variant of The Great Movie Ride that was created in a separate era by a different company with a bigger budget, with it having a similar queue, better effects than the original but ones that are still within the same scale, it's ride vehicles being rather similar, them both being trackless systems, and the likes but with more features having been added to it all, with a preshow providing the context to the ride rather than a tour guide type cast member leading the ride, and the queue attachments providing more to do while waiting, while still keeping the most iconic parts of the original but with different things this time. I also love how it fits right at home with the Port Of Entry and the greater theme of the park which is the celebration of the literary world. The ride as a whole really does feel like a proper staple of the park and like a grand e-ticket that would probably immediately come up in conversation whenever the park would come up in conversation. The scale is perfect with it being grand enough but not too ambitious with it being the ideal trackless dark ride type e-ticket.

> The amount of detail held within this project is absolutely astounding, and I can tell a lot of consideration was put into it's development in all of the right areas. Everything that needed to be properly expanded on was expanded on but anything that could've just been kept simple with the quality being better for it staying that way. I love just how in depth it went with describing the queue areas and the preshow with direct dialogue and direct citing's of all of the items housed within the queue. I love how much careful consideration was put into the diverting show scenes and how smoothly the ride would transition during certain parts of the ride, as well as describing certain scenes in their proper tone and to their fullest potential, and the end result is the perfect mix of many different stories that all blend together to show off the best of their potentials. I love how all of the scenes stood out compared to each other and all felt unique in the end with an equal amount of attention given to it all, but with them all blending in so seamlessly at the end of the day. I also love how the preshow blended into the ride itself as well with it starting with mythology as the start of literature and how it begins to branch off with it leaning more into how mythology can be warped for the sake of narrative and good storytelling with Tolkien, and I love how it wraps around towards the end to create a very solid conclusion. I loved all of the descriptions throughout and how they were all uniquely stylized to truly feel respective to their own works. Overall, the detail is amazing and it really does feel like a tribute to literature across time.

> The presentation of the project was absolutely amazing as well, with the sheer amount of material that was packed along with this project, mainly with the examples and references provided to help explain the many paths and mechanics that went along with the ride. The presentation is not the most varied, with it being yet again another google document, but then again, google docs is great for presentations. The presentation was very neatly organized, and it was very easy to scroll throughout without getting lost and while knowing exactly where everything was. I loved the way everything was segmented so it was very easy to find what anything that I may have wanted to look at specifically throughout the document. I never once felt lost while reading. There were little to no mistakes whatsoever reading over again in terms of spelling and grammar. The text was all very easy to read and extremely nice to look at while scrolling throughout the project. The logo for the project is very nice looking and I feel as if it really does properly represent the project at large. The large selection of images helped me easily imagine what was being read, and very nicely indented certain paragraphs and helped properly space out certain sections. Overall, the presentation was great to read through, and while it's not the most special, it's one of the most practical ones thus far.

> The group work for this project alone helped make the project for me, mainly because this was probably the most hyped I felt for a project thus far, and while I was reading through the development each day, I was hyped to see what would be the end result, and I have to say, I love the end result. I loved the amount of collaboration that went into each part of the project, and the quality throughout the project is very consistent as a whole. I loved watching the brainstorming session and watching the various amounts of ideas being thrown around and absolutely loving most of the ideas being presented. Even if they all couldn't realistically be in the end result, I still do love a lot of those ideas, while also loving the end product. Everyone this round did such an excellent job at creating the end products, and I remember being hyped as the brainstorming thread reached it's gradual end until it was finally done. I hope everyone is proud of the end result, because it's absolutely amazing and you've all 100% redeemed yourselves after last round. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 10/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 10/10
Group Work - 10/10

Total Score - 50/50

JokersWild

Bowling alleys are boring. Most of the people there are usually drunk, and the only discernible theme is neon and disappointment. Thus, Team Prospero strove to create something a bit different for a bowling alley - a consistently themed complex that is welcoming to day guests and families, not just first dates and prom afterparties. What better property to theme a bowling alley around than Kirby, arguably video games' roundest mascot? So, allow me to present:

Kirby's SuperStar Lanes
(click me for the actual project)

pix

Bowling alleys are boring. Most of the people there are usually drunk, and the only discernible theme is neon and disappointment. Thus, Team Prospero strove to create something a bit different for a bowling alley - a consistently themed complex that is welcoming to day guests and families, not just first dates and prom afterparties. What better property to theme a bowling alley around than Kirby, arguably video games' roundest mascot? So, allow me to present:

Kirby's SuperStar Lanes

Okay first of all how DARE you insult bowling alleys like that and SECONDLY the people aren't always drunk. I went on a date with a friend who ordered chocolate milk at the bar cause sometimes you gotta be a classy b**** and drink some choccy milk.

goofyyukyuk

I spent the better part of my senior year of highschool going to bowling alleys and like 80% of the people there were middle aged club members drinking pitchers of beer all night :p. And yes, my home town does have nothing to do.
Haha fair... my grandparents bowl in super competitive leagues and it’s hard to breathe in those alleys because of so many people smoking. I think that people just need something to fill the time when they’re not bowling 🤣

JokersWild

Bowling Alleys are not full of drunk people! They are full of very very tipsy people who don't quite cross the line to being drunk but boy do the inch up close to it!

Gotta get your semantics right
Edited

Bowling alleys are boring. Most of the people are very very tipsy and don't quite cross the line to being drunk but boy do they inch up close to it, and the only discernible theme is neon and disappointment. Thus, Team Prospero strove to create something a bit different for a bowling alley - a consistently themed complex that is welcoming to day guests and families, not just first dates and prom afterparties. What better property to theme a bowling alley around than Kirby, arguably video games' roundest mascot? So, allow me to present:

Kirby's SuperStar Lanes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom