mickeyfan5534

Team NuOrbis Presents...

View attachment 482798

Bayou Country

Reading Music

Team NuCitra Presents:
View attachment 482811
Jazzy Reading Music

Who would have thought that a piece of land deep in the bayou, nestled away from the hustle and bustle of New Orleans, would become a place of delight and wonder?

Said to have been one of the key passage points in the Lewis and Clark Expedition, this intersection of swampland and river would become home to none other than Jean Lafitte, legendary pirate and privateer. In need of a waypoint closer to the mainland for his operations, Jean discovered the destination and founded a settlement there: La Porte D'entree à L'Ouest (translated as The Gateway to the West), or La Porte for short. This settlement was a safe harbor for all sorts of scoundrels who sought to evade the law, from fellow pirates to gamblers dodging their debts. Of course, even a legendary pirate like Lafitte would need people to serve as “mayor” while he was away, preserving the settlement’s traditions even after his passing. Many would manage, but more and more the word of westward expansion brought fear to its townspeople. However, a chance encounter in the 1840s would forever alter the settlement’s fate.
lafitte2-jpg.482810

Henri LaTriche, the “mayor” of La Porte at that time, happened to meet a wealthy gentleman stopping off in the town for a night’s rest. Henri initially saw him as his latest mark, striking up conversation as he planned out how to fleece the man of his money in cards. However, as the gentleman talked about his plans to manage a gold mining operation out West and how it was his luck that the town was here to serve as a safe haven before heading West, Henri began thinking of all the wallets that would be passing through the town. He realized something: respectability could bring far more profits into his pocket than any crooked operation. With that, he launched a massive renovation of the town. Gone were the days of serving as just a safe harbor for criminals and thieves! La Porte would become a safe harbor for any travelers, whether those on the way or those seeking to carve out a new life for themselves! True, this mission was fueled by Henri’s greed, but these days, there is no doubting the welcoming atmosphere of the town.
View attachment 482812
Protected by the shades of the bayou, La Porte offers a quiet place for a traveler to rest their feet for a moment or two. The sounds of jazz and ragtime float through the air, as guests wander its streets at their own pace. For instance, those in need of a meal might stop by La Cuisinière du Bayou, managed by local chef Sylvain Broussard. Originally born in France, Sylvain grew up in the bayou and found the wonders of its tastes and flavors. Coming from a line of chefs, he has taken the family techniques and mixed them with a Cajun flavor sensation. Be sure to stop by for a bite. Meanwhile, folks in need of a little adventure might stop by the Wilkinson Treasure Expeditions cart. Schemer and veritable con man Nathan E. S. Wilkinson is there peddling tales of the legendary Lewis and Clark Treasure, claiming that his maps can guide folks to the location of riches that had once belonged to the famous explorers. You can stop by and join the quest for this treasure if you like. After all, this has just got to be the latest brand of humbug that Wilkinson is selling to visitors…right?
View attachment 482813
Of course, be mindful of wandering too far into the bayou. Hidden in the forests and swamps is a place that the locals call Frog Mountain. Besides the gators and frogs that populate that swampy piece of land, there is something far more powerful said to be there: magic. Some even claim that the land falls under the domain of Mama Odie, the Voodoo queen of the bayou. In any case, wander that part of the bayou at your own caution. You might just see some wondrous sights among the fireflies...or some shadowy friends from the "Other Side".

(Below is a Prezi presentation of our map of La Porte. You can both click through the slides to see images in the order they were intended to be seen along with descriptions, and you can also click and drag the map to explore it for yourself. Enjoy!)

View attachment 482816
I can not wait to read both of these from the reactions.

NateD1226

NateD1226’s Reviews

Team NuOrbis - Bayou Country
  • I absolutely love the logo. It fits the the overall theme of the project perfectly
  • The chart with the phases and descriptions was a really nice addition. Not a lot of players usually do that in big projects.
  • I wish there was a little more detail on the Bayou fishing Adventure Attraction as it said it was a horror type attraction but didn’t really go into how scary or intense the ride would be
  • I really like the idea of Tiana and Naveen having their own little vacation home in the bayou
  • The shops and restaurants were nice and helped tie everything together.
  • The automatic angler was great! It reminded me of when Tom Sawyer Island had fishing stations
  • The holiday additions are awesome. I loved the idea of swamp santa haha
  • Overall, I think it needed a bit more detail, but it was a very fun project to read.
Creativity: 9/10
Realism:8/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 10/10
Group Work: 10/10
Total: 45/50

Team NuCitra - La Porte
  • The story was very complex but in a good way. It had a lot of depth to it
  • The presentation wasn’t my favorite. The color choices were not the best and it felt like everything was crammed in.
  • The way you started out the transition was great. The small things like this can go a long way
  • The transitions were well thought out and very interesting to read
  • Frog Mountain could’ve used a little work as I don’t think everything made sense logically.
  • The disney parks app game was such a good idea! I have never thought about doing that before
  • Overall, I found this to be a little messy with the presentation, but it had a lot of creativity to it which I loved.
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 8/10
Presentation: 7/10
Total: 43/50

spacemt354

Chili's
Team NuOrbis
- Fantastic background music choice and logo - really sets the stage well
- Concept art is great this round, especially like the land overview image as well as the logos for the restaurants.
- The flow worked really well from New Orleans Square to Bayou Country, especially like the story aspect of moving Pooh and creating a proper transition between the lands that felt very authentic to me.
- Overall the entire project just clicked for me on all cylinders - Great work!

Creativity 10/10
Realism 10/10
Detail 9/10
Presentation 10/10
Teamwork 10/10
Total 49/50

Team NuCitra

- Wonderful use of the new presentation style with Prezi. A little whiplashy in the transitions but overall I sincerely commend the ambition for innovative ways to articulate a project.
- Backstory here is really strong, attention to detail is really off the charts
- I know this is an extremely small detail, but I really like the trash can art with Jiminy Cricket - reminds me of reading the fire evac on the back of Disney resort doors.
- Overall I think you used the space very well to fill out Frog Mountain and the surrounding area while filling in some neat real-world history as well that I think is a staple of west-side Magic Kingdom lands.

Creativity 10/10
Realism 10/10
Detail 9/10
Presentation 10/10
Teamwork 10/10
Total 49/50

As y'all go into the merge - again I want to commend everyone in this cast so far through the season. I wish I had more time to play because this season has such an old-school vibe to it with new players coming into their own and taking their talents to the next level combined with great friendships budding and much more. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves - Can't wait to see what comes next!

mickeyfan5534

Reviews

NuOrbis: Bayou Country at Disneyland Park

As I said several times, y'all got the easy one. You really took the obvious route with this but you did something really special with it. I love the idea of basically extending New Orleans Square out and making a cohesive New Orleans Land with the city area and the bayou area. You really transformed the area as well from its former Northeast forest environment into the TOTALLY different Bayou. You were also very clever in how you used your area. Almost everything here is a reskin of Critter Country and that really helps your realism and totally embraces the prompt's key goal: placemaking. I really feel like this was NuOrbis coming into their own in the final stretch before the merge. This is a project that I honestly can't praise enough for its simplicity, its charm, and its fit into the park.

Creativity: 9/10 - The obvious route but done well and done creatively
Realism: 10/10 - Given the budget, I can see this happening.
Detail: 9/10 - Can a man get a map, please? Also: S W A M P S A N T A
Presentation: 9/10 - It's a Google Doc. Nothing wrong with it and it's perfect for the project.
Group Work: 10/10 - This team has had its bumps but it really came into its own in this round to make something special. Additionally: communication! Hell Yeah!
Total: 47/50

NuCitra: La Porte d'Entrée a l'Ouest au Royaume Magie
Vous choisissez le plus difficille défi. C'est un joue de hazarde. Quest-ce que travaille? Non, la revieu n'est pas en français tout les temps.

I like this but it doesn't stand out to me as much as NuOrbis did with Bayou Country. Frankly, to be brutal, I think you made this stick out of Frontierland even more than Splash Mountain on its own already does. This is upsetting to me because someone had a perfect idea in totally recontextualizing Frontierland & Liberty Square to center around the Rivers of America. You had something really special there that would make Frog Mountain fit like a glove. Instead, we got this really out of place mini-land that, while it does transition well from Adventureland, really doesn't fit in Frontierland.
All that said, let's move on to the good: the backstory and world-building and, yes, placemaking you did here was just absolutely golden. I love how you tell that story and the app game is such a great touch (if a little domineering on the project). The set pieces you've presented really add to the sense of place in La Porte and tell that story so well in its subtlety. It reminds me of some of the backstory from the Disney hotels of the 90s where entire worlds are built but you have to dive deep to get them.

Creativity: 10/10 - I didn't expect a totally new mini-land to form out of this project.
Realism: 8/10 - It's fine.
Detail: 10/10 - A strong showing here and a map on top of it!
Presentation: 8/10 - I was wracking my brain here for what to score this. Do I give it high points for doing something new or do I knock points for it really not needing to have done something new. I settled on the middle
Group Work: 10/10 - This team is Group Work personified. Gets on like a house on fire and makes great projects.
Total: 46/50​

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I've been working outside in the middle of a heat wave all week, so please excuse me if this feedback isn't as detailed as I'd like it to be. All in all, it's safe to say this is the closest project so far and a fantastic way to end out the pre-merge section of the season. Weirdly, the Purist and innovator roles sort of switched this round, with NuCitra doing a far more ambitious project based on the more challenging of the two prompts...a challenge they put on themselves, and NuOrbis delivering a predictable if rock solid presentation.

NuOrbis

You guys got the easy prompt to be sure, but you knocked it out of the park. I loved all the original artwork and logos at play here. Everything flowed together very naturally to create an atmospheric extension to New Orleans Square that would truly be the next level in the kinetic "Disneyland is one big movie" meta-narrative of it all. My only gripe is that I really wish the new dark ride were more fleshed out, considering Pooh is definitely THE challenge of this side of the prompt. I also don't really know if moving Pooh to the Fantasyland theater is all that needed considering I've rarely seen that ride with a line. Granted I guess it'd be nice to have a classic dark ride in the Small World mall area. The placemaking in general is really nailed here, and every square inch is accounted for and touched up wonderfully. One thing though...I'll RIOT if you get rid of the lobster bisque at Harbor Galley. Ammirite @MANEATINGWREATH. Altogether a more simple and straightforward concept than NuCitra's. Did the "Purist" approach pay off?

Presentation: 9/10
Realism: 10/10
Total: 46/50

NuCitra

First things first. The presentation style is FANTASTIC! A great in-between with documents and more visually ambitious presentation styles. I'd love to see more of this going forward. I'm not as harsh on the end result here as Mickeyfan, but I do think in some ways this team over-complicated what should have been an incredibly straight forward prompt. Firstly, this team really struggled with the geography, and it's still kind of all over the place. Certain things really work, like having the transition from Caribbean Plaza to Frontierland be a bayou. Other things, like the banyan tree and Lafitte's anchor, feel a bit out of place. Hell, Lafitte's presence in general had an air of "aren't we clever" to it that I really wasn't feeling. Overall by far the BEST part of this expansion and what I think you should have focused all your energy on was the Lewis and Clark game. It VERY MUCH reminded me of Knott's Berry Farm and their new Calico River Rapids area in which you can see practically half of the AAs that ride has to offer just from the walking paths around the ride. I definitely got the same sort of vibe here. Overall while there's nothing inherently wrong here, I think you should have picked between either Lafitte or Lewis and Clark and ran with one or the other. The mix of different themes made the complete package feel just a bit jumbled.

Creativity: 8/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Total: 44/50

Tux

TEAM NUCITRA
> The creativity in this project was amazing, and I loved how you all went the extra mile to make this land really stand out and feel more creative in the end! The amount of effort you put into thinking out the entirety of the backstory surrounding the new expansion to have it fit better with the surroundings and the New Orleans theme was amazing, and it was great seeing everyone come together to discuss how the backstory could be created to refit some of the older elements of the land to be more natural within the new overlay. The idea of tying it to Jean Lafitte was an excellent idea and how it uses the Pirates Of The Caribbean being in New Orleans Square as inspiration. It winds up making the project feel a lot more unique in comparison to the bare minimum that was kept in mind with the original prompt. The backstory had a ton of depth added to the land that wouldn't have been there compared to if you hadn't gone the extra mile, and the project is better for it. I also appreciated the amount of history that was dedicated and created for the land and how it directly ties to The Princess And The Frog despite not being originally a part of the lore.

> As for the realism, I would say that with the transitions in place, the land would definitely feel natural within the scope of Frontierland, as it wouldn't interfere too much with the Western themed environment around it, especially with how it connects to the former as it treats the Train Station as a piece of nostalgia from a land far gone. I could also a hundred percent see the interactive elements of the park being added to keep up with Universal's standards, especially with the interactive areas in the Wizarding World, although the trigger of the interactions themselves are wildly different. The use of the Disney Parks App and the idea of including the land with it using the game is an excellent idea and I like how it makes the app even more relevant to the park and vice versa. I can also totally see Disney using the reusing the idea of New Orleans Square in a park that doesn't have it but with a new twist.

> As for the detail, I do wish there was more of a focus of The Princess And The Frog outside of Frog Mountain since it is a significant part of the land and there's not really much of a mention outside of the overlay on Frog Mountain and Banyan Tree Outpost, and the E-Ticket itself feels kind of shoved in there and neglected as a result, like it's just an attachment so I do wish that you had focused more on it, but everything else is just about excellent. I love the amount of attention to detail that you provided on the nature trails and the transitions especially, they were awesome, with the listing of the species featured throughout the trails, and how the transitions create a natural flow between this section and how it interacts with the lands that it's placed next to. I also loved how the transitions focused on the lore and directly connected it to the scenery throughout the land and how it really connects to it's surroundings. I love just how much emphasis was put on the overall surroundings of the land and how the aesthetic would switch from the Wild West themed one to one dedicated to the theme that never was in Walt Disney World. I love just how much emphasis was put on the ideas of discovery and how it allows for more interactive experiences in the land, and in a way it makes the land itself function as an attraction within the park.

> As for the presentation, it was absolutely excellent as well, with the forum post providing some backstory to the presentation and context to the final presentation while also providing concept art, reading music, and functioning as an introduction to the land and as a gateway into the main idea of the land as a whole and just how it manages to spruce up the basic concept that was provided. Meanwhile the actual presentation was extremely creative with how the slides were spruced up and exactly how it rotated across the map to certain images provided and then as it shuffled throughout the green and red text cards that would act as how a normal slide would with some sprucing up throughout. The text at the bottom was also a great help just in case shuffling through wasn't helping enough or if there was something that was missed or if there was just a bigger picture to be seen among it all. I also loved the rhythm as the slides moved about the map which gave a sense of location while also providing the need for a map with the numberings and Birdseye view at the very start of the project. The concept art was deeply appreciated and it added a very nice touch to it all along with giving imagery to the presentation.

> The group work in this project was awesome, and I loved how everyone contributed throughout to help fully develop the ideas shown throughout the project and to fully flesh out the environment that was previously set up. It was genuinely difficult to choose who to eliminate from this team, as everyone was truly giving it their all this round. Everyone had a hand in the creation of the project and everyone helped do at least something throughout the creative process of this project. It was amazing to see everything come together when I was watching the thread. It was wonderful to see everyone be so engaged with each other and to see everyone add onto one another's thoughts and ideas that were present throughout the creation of this project. Excellent job, and I will say that it was extremely difficult to choose just who to eliminate from this round since everyone was doing their best this round to create a great project! Well done!

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 9/10

Total Score - 49/50
> In terms of Creativity, the project itself mainly just focuses on how it connects to The Princess And The Frog, which isn't bad at all, but I do wish that there was more that was done with it rather than just doing the ordinary. That being said, I do love how you've managed to connect it properly to the prior story, and how it properly connects to the theming of it being New Orleans based with a little bit of history sprinkled into it. In a way, it's like the opposite of Nucitra's project with the focus of project either being mainly historical based with sprinkles of the original point in it, and the project being mainly the original point but with historical impacts being sprinkled into it. I also enjoyed how this project tried to think outside of the box in some places like with the focus on Holiday Events, and the idea of Swamp Santa (F L O R I D A M A N) in the project which was an extremely fun touch to it all and many of the businesses really do line up with much of the focus of The Princess And The Frog, and how it connects to New Orleans.

> The realism in this project is one of the greatest parts of it, with the emphasis and focus on the process and gradual development of the land and how it gets from the original theme all the way to where it is now. I loved reading through all of the plans and how the current state of the land would contrast the end goal which really adds a professional tone to the end of it all. I liked how you took everything in the surrounding area into consideration and exactly how it would be taken with the new look on the area and then adjusted it accordingly if it didn't fit. Changing the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes to just the Explorer Canoes sounds like a move that the company would actually do, and everything that was there prior was appropriately replaced with a fitting counterpart, along with some extra content that really helps make this overlay feel real. I like how you separated certain parts of the project into ideal phases that would be appropriate in terms of what is changed and in what area, and how you list all of the end goals in mind for each phase. I loved your emphasis on realism, which contrasts just how much Nucitra focused on creativity, and how both are your own strengths

> The detail in this project was absolutely astounding as well with just how much focus you put on all of the separate overlays along with the added content along with the overall planning and anything extra. I love how much emphasis you put onto the southern theming, especially with how the project paid respects to the South and how it explored many of the ideals and values attached to the South and much of New Orleans and Louisiana as well. I love how Tiana's Riverboat Jubilee wasn't just a rehash of the original and tried to tell a new story with the original still connected to it. I love how the descriptions for the attractions throughout the land properly get the point across within a small description while following the original themes of it being based on New Orleans and how it explores many of the values present there. The Future Entertainment segment was a great touch and a nice way to add more content to the project and showing how the land would be expanded on into the future. I appreciate the amount of content that was added to the park as a whole that still holds up to the original themes and IP that properly goes in depth in how the write up's contents connect to those particular ideals.

> The presentation of this project was excellent, with it using a simple google document with a green and purple text color scheme that's nice on the eyes while lining up with the colors of the logo present. All of the concept art present was either extremely professional looking to an extreme degree or extremely pretty and fitting to the presentation as a whole with how nice it looks on the eyes and how it works with the overall Disney Maps style or how the coloring works. The Phase table graphic was a great touch that properly organized what exactly everyone had in mind for the project and what the end goals of each phase were which helped make the project feel even more professional in the end. Many of the edits fit organically and most of the added details felt like they fit in organically with the rest of the photo. The usage of images throughout the project helped with imagining how certain things would look and helped act as borders between the text. Many of the other elements combined still worked organically together and as a result helped feel extremely realistic. Also, S W A M P S A N T A.

> As for the Group Work, you also worked extremely well together to help bring this project to life. You all worked so well together, and I had fun reading throughout the text and seeing everyone organize their thoughts together. It was also extremely fun to see everyone pitch ideas together until it was decided to just go for the basic New Orleans themed area. I enjoyed reading many of your suggestions and seeing how everyone interacted. To me, it seems like you all had fun creating this project, and that everyone had a good time, and that's the best part. I was glad to see everyone work together to create an extremely amazing project, and seeing how everyone pitched in to help when they could. Everyone did such an awesome job, and I was happy to see that everyone was pitching in to help when they could, and I appreciated your team work greatly!

Detail: 10/10

Total Score - 49/50

NigelChanning

Honestly, this is a sad day. I don’t blame Goofy or any of the judges but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bummed. This is one of the best things I’ve ever gotten to be apart of and hopefully I can have a role in season 19. This is given me purpose and kept me upbeat during some dark times in my life. Thank you and if you ever need a guest judge, you know where to find me!

AceAstro

Honestly, this is a sad day. I don’t blame Goofy or any of the judges but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bummed. This is one of the best things I’ve ever gotten to be apart of and hopefully I can have a role in season 19. This is given me purpose and kept me upbeat during some dark times in my life. Thank you and if you ever need a guest judge, you know where to find me!
Even though we haven't played together this game, I have seen some incredible work out of you!

I wish for the best for you in future games! I hope to play with you soon

JokersWild

Please stick around. Keep working on stuff. We're not going anywhere, and there will always be new comps. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope we work together again in the future.

NateD1226

You were truly amazing! The passion you put in all your work was so awesome. I really hope to get to work with you on another comp after this. Stay Imagineering!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom