Trip Report COMPLETED: So why is it you’re cruising so much now: A NYE TR that doesn’t contain cruising. Now with Tuna/Egg talk!

No real back story here or PTR to reference. We’ve been to the bubble many times. We’ve gone during Spring Break, Christmas, 4th of July, and even Memorial day. We realized we’ve never done NYE so we figured we’d give it a go. I mean, surely everyone will go home on New Year’s day leaving an enjoyable park experience with lite crowds the rest of the week, right?

2qyxyl.jpg

So if you don’t know us by now I guess that rock you were under didn’t have any internet or you just have a strong distaste for sarcasm, poor grammar, and pictures of decent food. This trip included the DD and would be the first trip we drove to in over a year, getting back to our roots and all.

The beginning of the end:
We had a plan of leaving the cold and wet North Georgia Mountains by 04:30 on NYE morning. I’m proud to say my ladies stepped up and were AIS by the deadline. Now, I have a standard 1-stop itinerary for our road trips to the bubble and can make it there in less than 7 hours provided we stick to the itinerary. My copilots decided we needed more stops. All this to say we made the Orlando area in about 7 hours 10 minutes. Now typically we hit 429 and take Western Way into the bubble to avoid the I-4 madness. This trip, however, the DW decided she wanted to hit the Disney outlet so I-4 here we come!

We have never been to this outlet but on the way down the DW read about parking horror stories but I was insistent we do it so she could check out the outlet. All I can say is DAYUM! Whomever designed the layout of that outlet needs to be taken out back and flogged. It was lunch time on NYE and this place looked like it was running a 75% sale on a Black Friday. I did one pass through the lot and decided to drop the ladies off so they could hit up the store while I looked for parking. Fast-forward 20 minutes and the DD calls saying they are ready to go and I still have yet to find parking. I’ll let the DD describe the inside of the outlet since I only got to see the parking lot.

After the outlet we hit up Publix to get our Entenmann's donuts, a WDW staple. We were in and out in minutes and on our way to DTD for lunch.

As we approached the parking deck we noticed they changed the flow of traffic coming from the parks to DTD. You now have to drive past the green deck and u-turn back to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that direct all traffic coming from the parks to the new deck across the street when its complete and start charging for the green deck. We quickly parked and I was pleasantly surprised to see lite crowds at DTD, this gave me hope! DW and I wanted Polite Pig for lunch but the DD loathes BBQ. We walked over to Morimoto CS to grab her some noodles to go. The portion was huge and she enjoyed it. We made our way over to PP, grabbed a table, and enjoyed some food.

DW went with the sausage and Brussels sprouts
IMG_5518.JPG

I went with the pulled pork sandwich
IMG_5519.JPG

We shared Ravenous Pig by Cask & Larder. Untappd Notes: 4/5 A nice lite Belgian that almost wants to be sweet.
IMG_5520.JPG

The food, as usual, was excellent. The ladies must have been hungrier than me, or motivated to shop, as they smashed their lunch and decided to head to Basin to get some bath bombs while I finished my lunch. By the time I finished and met up with them we got the room text!

CaliKris

Cape Stank - LOL, LOL!! That's a perfect name for it. We stayed at BCV recently and just loved the distinctive Beach Club aroma in the lobby combined with the scent of Gingerbread. Then, we would dread our walk past Cape May when our senses were bombarded with the rotten fish stench. WTH? I mean "What the funk?" Why can't they get fans or something to get rid of the malodorous fumes we were forced to endure on our way to the lounge or pool? My DH dislikes seafood and he just could hardly stand it. For a resort that prides itself on its distinctive smell (the lobby), why don't they fix this problem? I don't get it.

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
100% agree on cape May

They should do something

I work at a car plant where down draft and negative air pressure are standard practices to control contamination

They should be able to eliminate it or at least take it down a few notches for those not going into the restaurant

Max

Last edited:

Rista1313

Homecomin' - Seriously some of the best chicken I've ever had. I know fried chicken. I'm a few minutes down the road from the "Poultry Capital of the World." Fried chicken is a staple on pretty much every menu.

Gainesville- Where my grandparents, Aunt/uncle lived, and where I spent summers with my Grandparents as a child. My Grandpa was the CFO of Stork Gamco for years... which makes the machinery to process chickens on.

I love that I can visualize where you guys live, and where your talking about at home. And I think I've mentioned before that back in the 90's my Aunt had a cookie store in Dahlonega. I would work there for cookies occasionally =D

DisneyGigi

100% agree on cape May

They should do something

I would at a car plant where down draft and negative air pressure are standard practices to control contamination

They should be able to eliminate it or at least take it down a few notches for those not going into the restaurant

Max

Being seafood lovers, that frequently have huge seafood boils- You have to get the stuff out immediately! I still have to spray febreeze and air the kitchen out. We usually do, if the kids are here, say 15 lbs of crab legs, and 8 lbs of shrimp. I could not imagine trying to get rid of the smell cooking that much seafood. It spreads out so quick.

I have never noticed the smell but if we are at the Beach Club that means I am eating at Cape May.. and probably hungry! 😂 I can smell it once we walk into the actual restaurant area.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Cape Stank - LOL, LOL!! That's a perfect name for it. We stayed at BCV recently and just loved the distinctive Beach Club aroma in the lobby combined with the scent of Gingerbread. Then, we would dread our walk past Cape May when our senses were bombarded with the rotten fish stench. WTH? I mean "What the funk?" Why can't they get fans or something to get rid of the malodorous fumes we were forced to endure on our way to the lounge or pool? My DH dislikes seafood and he just could hardly stand it. For a resort that prides itself on its distinctive smell (the lobby), why don't they fix this problem? I don't get it.
Its so hard to miss!

100% agree on cape May

They should do something

I would at a car plant where down draft and negative air pressure are standard practices to control contamination

Max
I'm with ya. Seems like a few well placed vents and fans could remedy the funk.

Can I just tell you that this photo is absolutely outstanding. Love it.
Gotta credit the DD. She picked up on the view almost immediately after leaving N&F.

Gainesville- Where my grandparents, Aunt/uncle lived, and where I spent summers with my Grandparents as a child. My Grandpa was the CFO of Stork Gamco for years... which makes the machinery to process chickens on.

I love that I can visualize where you guys live, and where your talking about at home. And I think I've mentioned before that back in the 90's my Aunt had a cookie store in Dahlonega. I would work there for cookies occasionally =D
Small world! Do you remember the name of the shop? We attended college in Dahlonega in the 90's. Love the this little town.

Being seafood lovers, that frequently have huge seafood boils- You have to get the stuff out immediately! I still have to spray febreeze and air the kitchen out. We usually do, if the kids are here, say 15 lbs of crab legs, and 8 lbs of shrimp. I could not imagine trying to get rid of the smell cooking that much seafood. It spreads out so quick.

I have never noticed the smell but if we are at the Beach Club that means I am eating at Cape May.. and probably hungry! 😂 I can smell it once we walk into the actual restaurant area.
I may be more impressed that you've never picked up on the funk walking from the BCV lobby towards B&C. It can be noticed just about anytime between 07:00 and 11:00pm. Maybe its something us non seafood folk pick up on.

DisneyGigi

Its so hard to miss!

I'm with ya. Seems like a few well placed vents and fans could remedy the funk.

Gotta credit the DD. She picked up on the view almost immediately after leaving N&F.

Small world! Do you remember the name of the shop? We attended college in Dahlonega in the 90's. Love the this little town.

I may be more impressed that you've never picked up on the funk walking from the BCV lobby towards B&C. It can be noticed just about anytime between 07:00 and 11:00pm. Maybe its something us non seafood folk pick up on.
I swear I don’t remember smelling it, we eat there twice every trip since like 2008. I even asked DS and the Hubby. They both said no. Maybe it is a seafood lovers thing. We don’t smell it? Lol tonight’s dinner. 😳 I don’t ever smell garlic or onions either. Probably because I cook with it so much.
F4223444-495F-472B-B5F3-D41773206E92.jpeg

lostpro9het

Original Poster
I need that tub in my house!

We've yet to try Art's but it's going to be a must on out next trip, whenever that may be.
As I have said, when the time comes let me know if you're game for some points! Hope you and J are weathering the winter well. Ya'll still slated for a cruise?

Rista1313

I was trying to remember earlier while I was typing that out. I'll have to text my aunt and ask her. It was on the 2nd level, right on the square, next to a big pecan tree....

Zipadeelady

As I have said, when the time comes let me know if you're game for some points! Hope you and J are weathering the winter well. Ya'll still slated for a cruise?
J and I would love to take another trip Fall of 20'. As much as we loved AKL I really want to try an Epcot resort. BW was my first choice but that clown pool kind of freaks me out and we love our pool time.

Our cruise through RC is set for Jan 20'. If we like cruising then eventually we'll try DCL.

Rista1313

View attachment 345160

I believe upstairs is now the location of a ghost tour company. Caruso's is long gone.

For everyone interested: This is Dahlonega at Christmas.

View attachment 345164

If you like Hallmark Christmas movies, check out Christmas in Homestead. It's not all that good, but it was filmed here.

It's such a cute place... I miss roasted peanuts from the general store

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Whoa...I haven't finished this mess yet!?!? So sorry about that! We've been pretty busy lately and got distracted by planning this:
image1.jpeg

I think the DW and I have a new addiction. This trip will put us at platinum in time for our April 2020 trip #freePalo!

Anywho...After some pool time we were coming up on our FP times for MK. We made for the room to clean up and change. We took advantage of the bus app and noted we had about 15 minutes, plenty of time to make the stop.
IMG_5702.PNG

Of course this arrival time changed about 5 times since the first time we checked it but ultimately arrived just 4 minutes past the original time that was posted, not bad.

Soon we were greeted by the madness but still had plenty of time for our first FP.
IMG_5704.JPG

As we approached SM they were still making use of the extended queue for the FP line. Here is a picture of the DW doing her best "Naive Disney guest who thought the week after NYE would mean lite crowds" pose:
IMG_5705.JPG

I think she nailed it.

Had to get the obligatory DD SM pic.
IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

After SM we made our way over to HoP to check out the Hilary Trump animatronic again. The show is still very good.
IMG_5709.JPG

Up next: Dinner before barnstormer 1.5

Zipadeelady

I wondered what happened to you. We will be cruising at the same time, are you sure you two don't want to try slumming and hang out with us on RCL? :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom