So who else has been watching "Amphibia"?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I bought a couple of episodes last week from Amazon...and I have to say that this little show has potential. It has a kind of "Gravity Falls" vibe. The main character, Anne, is appealing and believable, the frog village has some nice world-building, and the producers have come up with worthy adversaries in the Toads and their infamous Toad Tower knights.

My fave ep so far is Episode 10. In that one, we get another worthy female character in Sasha. I won't say any more, but the series now has two very interesting character arcs and not one, but TWO quests for us to follow and root for. Great series so far. I highly recommend it.

NateD1226

I have caught a few episodes. It is very fun show and I get a lot of Gravity Falls vibes. I would watch more episodes

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Couldn't get into. The style is similar to that of Gravity Falls but unlike GF this show panders to it's target audience a little too much. Feels very much like a "Disney Junior" show IMO. Granted, I've only watch 3 episodes. IDK, wasn't all that impressed. I'll stick with GF reruns, Star vs and the new Ducktales. The idea of Amphibia is cool but the show itself is a bit too lame and tame.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Bumping this up since Amphibia now has two complete seasons.

Well, I think this show is terrific. I love the Frogs vs. Toads idea, and Toad Tower, plus Captain Grime has a great voice actor - terrific semi-villain. Ann, the human protagonist, is annoying, selfish and careless sometimes, but that just makes her more convincing as a pre-teen. ;) And Sprig, her frog pal, is a real breakout star. A loyal friend and fellow conspirator. My favorite episode so far is "Children of the Spore" - hilarious, and with a villain that's a literal malignant force of nature. If you guys haven't checked out Amphibia, you should. The best new TV cartoon by Disney since Phineas and Ferb!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It's better than The Owl House but only just. I still think it's a step backwards. I actually like the humor of Big City Greens better than all of those. I still measure all of these new shows against Gravity Fall, my barometer. Amphibia did get better however. I'd give it a B-.

5thGenTexan

I have watched Amphibia because my kids watch it. They also like Big City Greens. I don't mind either show playing unlike the days of shows like Paw Patrol.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
It's better than The Owl House but only just. I still think it's a step backwards. I actually like the humor of Big City Greens better than all of those. I still measure all of these new shows against Gravity Fall, my barometer. Amphibia did get better however. I'd give it a B-.

Yeah, I can't get into the Owl House, although I tried, because of Wendy Malick's excellent voice work as Eda. The characters are uninspired, the world is contrived (I get so tired of weirdness for weirdness' sake) and hokey, and I just can't care much about Luz - she's bland. Whereas Amphibia has very likable characters like Sprig and Wally, and a world with enough lore in it to make it interesting and authentic. Plus the season finale was great (nice use of Bill Wither's "Lean On Me" song too). Can't wait for season 2!

brb1006

Yeah, I can't get into the Owl House, although I tried, because of Wendy Malick's excellent voice work as Eda. The characters are uninspired, the world is contrived (I get so tired of weirdness for weirdness' sake) and hokey, and I just can't care much about Luz - she's bland. Whereas Amphibia has very likable characters like Sprig and Wally, and a world with enough lore in it to make it interesting and authentic. Plus the season finale was great (nice use of Bill Wither's "Lean On Me" song too). Can't wait for season 2!
The Owl House barerly even finished it's first season. At least give it another season until it finds it's footing.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The Owl House barerly even finished it's first season. At least give it another season until it finds it's footing.

Maybe. I just wasn't all that impressed. The stories were on the weaker side and the characters underdeveloped. The only interesting character was her rival turned eventual best friend but I can't even remember her name. It just didn't grab me. Unlike say Gravity Falls or Ducktales which I wanted to continue watching.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Well. The Amphibia season 2 finale is...dark. Very dark. Wow. Like Bambi's mother and Mufasa dark. Hoo. Not sure how I feel about it. But kudos to the series-runners for not doing the old "Well, it looks like everything's back to normal!" trope. Because it decidedly isn't.

Ye who watch this series, have been warned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom