So what is happening for Shanghai

Brainleech419

Original Poster
So every other resort seems to be building something but not Shanghai. Is there a reason for this? what project are currently in the works? is Everest still being planned

GiveMeTheMusic

I was surprised Shanghai opened with no Marvel representation (beyond that temporary looking thing)

The park lineup was set shortly after Marvel was acquired - not enough lead time to factor it into the park. It's safe to assume we'll see some real Marvel expansion at SDL soon, as the brand is Disney's only popular acquired IP in China.

Timothy_Q

The park lineup was set shortly after Marvel was acquired - not enough lead time to factor it into the park. It's safe to assume we'll see some real Marvel expansion at SDL soon, as the brand is Disney's only popular acquired IP in China.
That makes sense.

Still interesting that a Marvel land wasn't announced for Shanghai alongside the other 3 resorts getting one

GiveMeTheMusic

That makes sense.

Still interesting that a Marvel land wasn't announced for Shanghai alongside the other 3 resorts getting one

Probably several factors. The HK government is demanding exclusivity on their attractions and is furious that Disney went all out on SDL from day 1 and handed them an underbuilt clone park in 2005. HK is getting its moment in the sun with big expansions after being poorly compared to SDL in 2016.

Expansions require the mainland government approval, which I'm sure is no simple process. Keep in mind TSL was not an expansion - it was planned for opening and delayed.

Timothy_Q

Probably several factors. The HK government is demanding exclusivity on their attractions and is furious that Disney went all out on SDL from day 1 and handed them an underbuilt clone park in 2005. HK is getting its moment in the sun with big expansions after being poorly compared to SDL in 2016.
Not questioning what you're saying, just questioning HK's decisions

But TSL and Frozen land aren't very exclusive

GiveMeTheMusic

Not questioning what you're saying, just questioning HK's decisions

But TSL and Frozen land aren't very exclusive

TSL's exclusivity has expired (it opened in HKDL in 2011). HKDL's Frozen land is unique within Asia, and the sled coaster is likely to be a worldwide exclusive for some time. TDS' Frozen E ticket is going to be unique to that park.

It's hard to imagine that Arendelle wouldn't land in SDL at some point as well. Elsa is big there.

BrianLo

Expansions require the mainland government approval, which I'm sure is no simple process. Keep in mind TSL was not an expansion - it was planned for opening and delayed.

While true, Toy Story always had to be a staggered from the actual opening date. If it was delayed, it was delayed when they promised HKDL 5 year Asia-Pacific exclusivity back in 2008 or 2009ish.

It was kind of telling Bob finally announced the addition a week before the Hong Kong exclusivity expired. I wonder how they felt about that...

ThemeParkTraveller

While true, Toy Story always had to be a staggered from the actual opening date. If it was delayed, it was delayed when they promised HKDL 5 year Asia-Pacific exclusivity back in 2008 or 2009ish.

It was kind of telling Bob finally announced the addition a week before the Hong Kong exclusivity expired. I wonder how they felt about that...

Cloning Toy Story Land at SDL still seems like such a strange choice. It's in the best interest of both parks to be as different from each other as possible. At least the other HKDL exclusives like Big Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor seem safe as they are non-IP based...

GiveMeTheMusic

What I think we'll increasingly see in the Asia parks are the same IPs represented with unique rides/lands in each resort. Marvel is assuredly coming to SDL at some point, but it won't have Iron Man Experience or the unnamed HKDL Avengers E ticket.

They would be wise to build more non-IP E tickets in SDL. The ones they have are already the most popular in the park.

Timothy_Q

Toy Story Land just opened in April which is kind of a lot to have a whole new land only 2 years after its opening. I bet they're not planning much for a while.
As others have stated, TSL was meant to be an opening day land that just got postponed.

Just like Asia in DAK.

So it's not really considered an expansion. It's just marketed that way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom