So uh.. What Now For Disneyland Resort?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
All things considered, rather you think TDA is ruining the parks with their IPs, or adding new "experiences" that make the original stuff better, there's no denying that Disney has been dumping money into the parks. Just off the top of my head, we've received / are receiving SW:GE, Pixar pier, Marvel Land, Hyperspace Mountain (a "temporary" overlay that has lasted longer than Space Mountain itself since 2015), MMRR..

But what's next now? What are the long-term goals for DL resort? Below I've compiled a list of questions that I would ask TDA if I was given the opportunity..

1. Will you continue to re-skin existing attractions?
2. Will Tomorrowland be your next major focus?
3. Is it possible for Disneyland park land to expand in any direction?
4. What does the future look like for food offerings, entertainment and merchandising? Will the quality increase with the prices?
5. Are there any major attractions that will need attention due to age in the next 5 - 10 years? If so, are those susceptible to major (IP) modification in general?
6. Is there going to be a period of stagnation before we see the next major announcement?

It's obvious I have felt strongly against nearly every major change since Chappy took over as Chairman. Is it really too much to ask for more original ideas? Even if they must have an IP attachment like ToT, IJA, RSR, Splash.. these are high quality offerings that I haven't seen in a long time. Perhaps RotR will be like that too, but an entire land based on SW is obviously not pulling in major crowds. I doubt Marvel Land will be any better. Until Iger and Chappy are ousted, I think we will continue to go down this path. Say what you will about Eisner, at least he had the gall to invest in original ideas.

I'm not hard to satisfy, really. I think the Diamond celebration changes were excellent. I like the new Pirates changes (minus that awful new auction scene). HMH is one of my favorites. I love the general feeling of Grizzly Peak area. Even rides i'm not in love with, like Jungle Cruise, IJA, Winnie the Pooh, I can still appreciate and enjoy. I can't say nearly the same for chase a baby and mission cheapout. Fantasyland rides? Simple and cute, I wouldn't change any of them. Why are these things so hard to imitate?

My ultimate take: the IP's will continue and grow. I feel that in some point in the future, another icon or two will be taken down and / or changed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is an excellent question...

I would guess that they are focused on trying to get Anaheim to buckle and win their spat so they can proceed with Their new hotel and downtown Disney redo...

But beyond that they’re in a bit of a bind. Taking up all that space for a limited draw Star Wars land was a miscalculation. Anything else will involve redos or more work in DCA.

Darkbeer1

This is an excellent question...

I would guess that they are focused on trying to get Anaheim to buckle and win their spat so they can proceed with Their new hotel and downtown Disney redo...

That isn't happening, the are no plans to build a new Hotel or do a major Downtown Disney Remodel.

What they want from the city is ways to address parking. So bringing back the Eastern Gateway project, which will allow the Transportation plaza to be moved to Manchester, opening up land next to DCA/Disneyland, to allow park expansion. That is a five year plan, though the Pumbaa parking structure might not be built right away, waiting for the USCIS leases to expire, allowing it to be built in one phase. What Disney needs is the Bridge over Harbor, the new security check and ticket booths (and restrooms), plus the new Transportation Plaza for ART and other shuttle Buses, Public Buses, Uber/Lyft/Taxi area, a drop off area. Basically freeing up as much land as possible on the East End of the park (West side of Harbor). That is worth a lot more than any Hotel or new shopping. (Aka Park revenue and parking revenue is a much better profit maker).

mickEblu

1. Will you continue to re-skin existing attractions?

I think this going to slow down a lot. If you notice, all of the reskins are at DCA. The park they view as their little sandbox to keep pushing out new IP and compete with Universal in that way. DL proper is classic and I think even they understand this. That's why Star Wars land is hidden from view. I also think that they may have learned a lesson from Galaxies Edge. I think what DL fans want might be a little clearer to them now. They also may be a little hesitant to get rid of something like Storybookland for example and spend big money on a new attraction when seasonal food and all the old rides seem to be better received.

2. Will Tomorrowland be your next major focus?

I think so. Their seems to be a lot of smoke around that rumor so i think it gets announced at the next D23 and they may even start on the Frozen expansion at the same time.

3. Is it possible for Disneyland park land to expand in any direction?

Outside of the bus transportation area I think that's it. Unless they expand DCA into the Simba lot which is not something they seem to be intent on doing. Looks like that is the main Downtown Disney parking lot now.

4. What does the future look like for food offerings, entertainment and merchandising? Will the quality increase with the prices?

All the seasonal offerings, popcorn buckets etc will continue at its vigorous pace. I think quality will remain hit or miss as it is now. I think Merch has slowly gotten better and will continue to get better. They seem to be offering more recently outside of the usual generic stuff.

5. Are there any major attractions that will need attention due to age in the next 5 - 10 years? If so, are those susceptible to major (IP) modification in general?

Maybe the Matterhorn but I hope its long after the Chapek/Iger era.

6. Is there going to be a period of stagnation before we see the next major announcement?

No. I think we hear about TL at the next D23. Unless ROTR doesn't solve the issues at GE and they don't get their act together with the rest of the land but I don't think that's likely.

mickEblu

Hes right and I cant wait for the Irishman. I'm going to see it in theatres even though it comes out on Netflix later. When was the last good mob movie?

Anyway, cinema and theme parks would be better off if Scorsese had his way.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Wow! He's right to an extent, but I find the opposite to be true. Movies are lacking today, and theme parks are piggybacking off the themes of movies. This drives me crazy because it's no longer about parks experiences, but advertising the latest IP.

Phroobar

He is just mad that his movies no longer can get the theatrical screens since popular "theme park" movies take up multiple screens. His art films don't get the screens and therefore make much less money. He has to go with Netflix which will generate a lot less money for the films. His gangster movies have been effectively relegated to direct to video streaming status.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bingo!

The plans for a new hotel are dead and buried. It will be many years, if not decades, before that plan resurfaces in a new format and new location.
You think?

It’s amazing how fast those would resurface if they get their way. Bet that development would look pretty good to Orange County and Anaheim in a recession...

Never bury anything when politics and greed are involved

Travel Junkie

@Darkbeer1 hits it on the head with focusing on infrastructure. They have to move the deck chairs so to speak so they can set up their next phase. This is also a way to help the guest experience by making getting in and out of the resort less stressful. Like the result or not they just dropped a ton a money on GE also committed to a large Marvel presence near term. Add in a possible TL redo and that is a fairly large investment. The other big ticket item I can see them adding is Frozen if Frozen 2 is a big hit.

The other things that can mix things up is entertainment. They have a new parade already coming, but adding in new firework shows, seasonal entertainment, and other entertainment offerings has been a way Disney "keeps things fresh" so to speak while not constantly adding attractions. I can see them marketing new entertainment in some big push and ignoring the fact they cut some of it recently.

We will continue to see small refreshes in Downtown Disney just because retail and dining constantly is changing, but nothing major. A new hotel would be nice, but I don't see it happening for a while. They missed the window and likely moved on already.

KeithVH

Extra space? Expansion on Harbor won't happen for the Convention Ctr alone. And while Katella changes are possible, acquisition costs there would proly be more than TDA would entertain. Ball is a mess and you'd end up dealing with I5. Leaving Walnut (maybe Pepperwood Village and/or Hermosa Village?). Which is the backend of nowhere as far as the rest of the property is concerned.

I think they missed their chance with the convention center. Not knowing the details, I still wonder if that would have been a good partnership option for both the company and the city. Still have a place for cons but in a park atmosphere. Just a silly thought.

socalifornian

Extra space? Expansion on Harbor won't happen for the Convention Ctr alone. And while Katella changes are possible, acquisition costs there would proly be more than TDA would entertain. Ball is a mess and you'd end up dealing with I5. Leaving Walnut (maybe Pepperwood Village and/or Hermosa Village?). Which is the backend of nowhere as far as the rest of the property is concerned.

I think they missed their chance with the convention center. Not knowing the details, I still wonder if that would have been a good partnership option for both the company and the city. Still have a place for cons but in a park atmosphere. Just a silly thought.
What is this I5 you speak of

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom