So sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joanna71985

Original Poster
A 4-year-old boy was pulled from a pool on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship and airlifted to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando on Saturday, authorities said. Brevard County and Disney rescue workers responded to the ship about 3:30 p.m. for a potential drowning at the family pool, one of three pools onboard, officials said. The family had just boarded for a seven-day cruise to the Western Caribbean. "We're focused on assisting the family," Disney spokeswoman Rena Langley said. "Clearly, our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."Port Canaveral police found the boy "in distress" at the pool, spokeswoman Rosalind Harvey said. He was taken by ambulance to Cape Canaveral Hospital and later flown by medical helicopter to Orlando, she said. He had a pulse at the time, but his condition was unknown late Saturday. Witnesses said on online Disney message boards that the child's parents weren't in the pool when the accident happened but ran over while emergency rescuers worked on him. "They both nearly collapsed," one witness wrote.
The parents and two other children left the ship in their bathing suits as they boy was being removed, witnesses said. There are no lifeguards on the ship, and signs at the pool indicate this, Langley said. The cruise left port 45 minutes late at 5:45 p.m.

Oh man, this is so sad! What a way to start a family vacation. And I'm sorry to say this, but 4 years old is WAY too young to be left unattended (especially in a pool that has no lifeguard). I really hope he'll be ok

Link here- http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ntasy-drowning-child-20130330,0,2927140.story

Pooh Lover

Very sad for everyone, including those that witnessed this on the first day of their vacation. I found it shocking that the parent's did not become aware until they saw the rescue squad attending to their child. A very sober reminder that children cannot be left for a moment in a pool unattended.

sweetpee_1993

Oh. My. God! That's awful!!! Not going to rip the parents, I'm sure nobody can be as upset as they are. I know at 4 yrs old we watched our 2 like hawks no matter where we were. That said, even when you're right there it only takes a moment for these things to happen. Crazy! Very sad for that family and their vacation. Prayers for the child. So terribly tragic.

DISNEY FANTASY

I feel for the boy, the family, and just hope the boy regains full health, I noted that some of the 'first hand' reports have had inconsistencies on what happened, age, etc., to add to this families tragedy, I cant think how they would feel, but to 'add' to this tragic incident, they then could be reading what other people on other boards have written about them, based on very limited information, they will be most likely waiting long hours in a hospital worrying and then read on their cells phones DCL blogs etc. people making comments, that must be terrible, I understand the great journalistic skills and tact of the Orlando Sentential and other newspapers, and fully understand many people want to post their heart felt good wishes to the family, ( like the heart felt posts here), but some people elsewhere have pre judged the situation from a couple of cruisers, which might not have seen it first hand, and then had that repeated on Cruise line blogs, who do not have journalistic skills when people should respect the families trauma in these terrible circumstances, which by the grace of god 'could' happen to any family any where. Lets all wish them the very best in medical support to bring this boy back to full health at this Easter time.

wdw71fan

if you leave a 4 year old unattended in a pool, you don't deserve the consideration of deferred finger-pointing..

I hope that quick run to Cabanas was worth their child's life...

sweetpee_1993

Kid is stable and will be fine....

Parents are morons.

I respect your opinion.. but know that I have first hand knowledge on this one... and yes.. they are idiots....

I swear to god, people should have to pass a test to pro-create.

Not questioning you or challenging your comments in any way. Everyone is entitled to their voice. I'm just curious (seriously, pure curiosity here) what you first hand knowledge source is. Do you know someone at the hospital? The authorities? Someone with DCL close to the situation? Know the family?

The info floating last night that I could find was kinda conflicting and not all meshing perfectly, it kinda did in a general sense but not 100%, but that's pretty normal when you get multiple witnesses giving an account of what they saw. That's why I didn't want to be quick to judge or harsh not that I'm ever sitting around waiting for the opportunity to judge others. I mean, God forbid I be judged by every mistake I've made in life including with my boys. I'm just interested to know what other info has come to light that may be a better account of what happened.

DISNEY FANTASY

if you leave a 4 year old unattended in a pool, you don't deserve the consideration of deferred finger-pointing..

Were you there???

This is not consistent with the reports, and how do you think the parents would feel if they read this and you have made assumptions?

Reports are the parents were in their swimwear!!!

DISNEY FANTASY

Kid is stable and will be fine....

Parents are morons.

I respect your opinion.. but know that I have first hand knowledge on this one... and yes.. they are idiots....

I swear to god, people should have to pass a test to pro-create.

Good news the boy is in a stable condition.

How do you know the parents are morons, were you there? Did you see it?

The reports on internet forums and a DCL blog have been full of contradictions, the news papers have been better but sketchy. Unless someone was there, they 'cannot' judge,

There isn't a perfect parent, things can and do happen, parents try hard to do their very best but something can occur.

IE If your near by, in swimwear, and someone else jumps on your child, in the pool, and knocks them down in the pool and under with their mouth open winding them for a second, how quick can a parent react?

Personally too many people do comment on the parents and 'they do not know' the full facts, these parents have been to hell and back overnight.

Its not right for you, or other DCL blogs to comment on it, leave it to the newspapers to report the facts.

DISNEY FANTASY

How do we know this? The most recent news article I could find (from 2 hours ago) says that officials aren't releasing the kid's condition.

It has been released the boy aged 4 is in a stable condition, drowning and secondary drowning are the first risk, then the next risk is not having oxygen for a time and affecting the brain,

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I really hope you think about what it would mean to lose a child. I don't think any parent wishes that.

It's a tragic situation, but without being there and knowing the people involved, I refuse to make judgement. I just wish them the best, and hope the kid is ok.

Tonka's Skipper

like I said... First hand knowledge. not getting my info from wesh.com, that's for sure.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have seen so many of these threads where alleged facts are thrown around as truths.......... a line or CM or parents are blamed for something and then 2 days later when the real facts finally come out things are totally different.

Pardon , but today on today of all days maybe you could cut the parents a little slack until we get the facts.

JMHO

AKK

wdw71fan

I would agree that the child's health is the most important factor.. And I choose to not share any details beyond what is out there because it could compromise certain individuals..

The parents threw caution to the wind here, it happens a lot.. thankfully it doesn't seem to be a fatal mistake here..

They'll surely never forgive themselves for what happened, and that's enough for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom