So people didn’t know how the 25th castle looked until they got there?

guardianmonkey

My family took our first group trip to Disney World that year and yes, all of us were ... surprised to see the pink castle. We were even more ... surprised to find out my mom had booked us at an off-site resort after we'd all been under the belief we were going to be staying on property. So many ... surprises on that trip!

G00fyDad

I always liked these castles because they remind me of St Basil’s Cathedral in Russia.View attachment 581670
St Basil’s Cathedral is a work of art.

This isn't:
R.jpg

correcaminos

Disney even admitted that it looked bad. They created a stained glass window of the traditional castle and placed it at the wedding pavilion to block the view of the cake castle.
That right there shows you how bad it was. So many brides hated that awful castle and so they helped do something about it.

jaklgreen

My family took our first group trip to Disney World that year and yes, all of us were ... surprised to see the pink castle. We were even more ... surprised to find out my mom had booked us at an off-site resort after we'd all been under the belief we were going to be staying on property. So many ... surprises on that trip!

I remember those days and hated how those hotels would say that they are "on property". It was technically true, but deceptive nonetheless.

guardianmonkey

I remember those days and hated how those hotels would say that they are "on property". It was technically true, but deceptive nonetheless.
Some other ... surprises waited for us at that hotel. The pool and a good 75% of the parking lot were completely inaccessible as they were undergoing some extensive renovations. The windows for all of our rooms were covered in plastic, protecting them from said renos, making the views quite ... surprising. I'll have to pick at that scab and ask my mom if she was snowed with the above-mentioned technicality, though I have a feeling poor planning may be the responsible party. We certainly didn't get any VHS from Disney!

Worldlover71

I don't remember how, but I knew about it in advance of my trip in January '97. It was definitely not a surprise. I think I was already following a Disney blog or fan-site by then. I didn't mind it, but I had already been there several times. I did feel bad for those who had never seen it in all its glory.

jaklgreen

I don't remember how, but I knew about it in advance of my trip in January '97. It was definitely not a surprise. I think I was already following a Disney blog or fan-site by then. I didn't mind it, but I had already been there several times. I did feel bad for those who had never seen it in all its glory.

They did have commercials with it so you might have seen it on TV.

Minnie Mum

We went. We saw. We laughed. And thanked heaven that it was temporary. Yes, we already knew about the birthday cake castle. But photos just didn't prepare you for the magnitude of the tackiness when seeing it in person.

graphite1326

It was our first trip. We didn't have a clue on how to go to WDW let alone it was the 25th anniversary. We were very dissapointed when we entered MK and saw the castle. It was a big let down.

Goofyernmost

It was our first trip. We didn't have a clue on how to go to WDW let alone it was the 25th anniversary. We were very dissapointed when we entered MK and saw the castle. It was a big let down.
The important thing though is not that you didn't know it was that Anniversary, it was that one thing didn't live up to what you expected. That happens almost every time I've been there. Different things, of course. For example, I brought a friend there that I knew would love the Haunted Mansion and built it up all the way there. The days we were there it was closed (rehab). It was very disappointing but it happens. The important part of your story is that you went again and have seen it. To me the shear creativity of it, the idea of how much it must have cost to design and build for just a short time made me grateful for being able to see it in its whimsical greatness.

What bothers me is all the alleged complaining about it is probably part of why Disney doesn't do neat things like that again. What they do now is more like the Taco Lagoon in Epcot. The engineering, and cost is probably mind boggling but it is intended to stay for a long time, perhaps up to 30 or more years. And at a severe cost of making the Lagoon like like a building fell over and crashed into it. And the lost of what was a beautiful uninterrupted view all day long.

G00fyDad

What bothers me is all the alleged complaining about it is probably part of why Disney doesn't do neat things like that again.
Disney has shown time and time again they cannot handle doing something like this at that scale. I would like to refer you to the wand and the big "Epcot" over top of Spaceship Earth, the stitch toilet paper castle, and that gaudy monstrosity of a hat that they slapped down in front of the Chinese theater. But the worst offense that I can remember has to be that castle cake. If they want to do something to celebrate an anniversary then I'm all for it but when people go to one of these iconic parks they want to see the castle and all of the big icons in all of their glory. They don't want to go after saving up every nickel and dime they can get and then be stuck with pictures of an icon in the background with garbage all over it. I would say having a big badge slapped onto the front of the castle is bad enough but at least people can deal with that well.

Goofyernmost

Disney has shown time and time again they cannot handle doing something like this at that scale. I would like to refer you to the wand and the big "Epcot" over top of Spaceship Earth, the stitch toilet paper castle, and that gaudy monstrosity of a hat that they slapped down in front of the Chinese theater. But the worst offense that I can remember has to be that castle cake. If they want to do something to celebrate an anniversary then I'm all for it but when people go to one of these iconic parks they want to see the castle and all of the big icons in all of their glory. They don't want to go after saving up every nickel and dime they can get and then be stuck with pictures of an icon in the background with garbage all over it. I would say having a big badge slapped onto the front of the castle is bad enough but at least people can deal with that well.
Those two things were the equivalent of emptying the trash when compared to the Castle Cake. That took a lot of engineering and attention to detail to pull of and they pulled if off perfectly for those of us that were not upset about a plastic cake over the top of a plastic castle. People should be able to deal with anything that is located in a place called Fantasyland. Want to know what is the opposite of that is the closing of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion every year for 5 months to overlay HM with that cartoon catastrophe known as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. And for all those haters of IP's it makes them giggle with delight. Now that is a reason to be concerned about a mutilation of an attraction.

LittleBuford

My parents and I visited at the worst possible time: after the castle had been painted hot pink but before any of the “cake” had been added. It looked simply awful. At least the full overlay would have been cool to witness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom