So people didn’t know how the 25th castle looked until they got there?

Tay

Original Poster
So there have been a few viral tweets on the 25th anniversary castle. The one that I remember was the difference between the management who was responsible for 25th castle vs the 50th. The poster thought it was ugly but loved the creativity. I feel the same way. CMs who worked there under the post said that many people complained about saving up for years to go and hated the castle.

I know getting news 25 years ago is nowhere near as fast as it is now but how long did disney keep the design under wraps?

John park hopper

We went on a spur of the moment a hurricane hit SC and we packed up the van and headed to WDW I can remember seeing the castle and it was a wow moment --but I liked it --wife still has a t-shirt of the castle cake 25 years later

Dizmentia

Euro Disneyland actually started that trend with their Strawberry Shortcake Castle in 1993. Blame them.
eurodisney.jpg

Tay

Original Poster
We went on a spur of the moment a hurricane hit SC and we packed up the van and headed to WDW I can remember seeing the castle and it was a wow moment --but I liked it --wife still has a t-shirt of the castle cake 25 years later
I sort of liked it but if it was a once in a lifetime trip, I would be pretty upset.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
So they only mentioned it on VHS? I thought Disney used to do tv specials about what was to come? I guess now I see why it was such a shocker.

I was 9 so who knows they may have had something on TV but I didn't watch it.
I just know I have the planning VHS and it mentions how Cinderella's Castle is being transformed into a birthday cake.
I see you're 29 so I'd guess you grew up more in the lightning fast news world than not so maybe your age just can't comprehend how it used to work.

jaklgreen

The internet wasn't as big of a thing back then like it is now. But it was all over the commercials and in their advertisements. I remember people complaining about this, how they had their "once in a lifetime trip" and hated the castle. People will complain about anything. People still claim ignorance to things now, even when there is no excuse, other then laziness. You can't make everyone happy.

Beacon Joe

I was prepared to hate it, but I thought the new paintjob last Summer actually looked great. They should have kept it like that. I don't know why in 2021 they decided they needed to trash it up with bling.

JIMINYCR

The internet wasn't as big of a thing back then like it is now. But it was all over the commercials and in their advertisements. I remember people complaining about this, how they had their "once in a lifetime trip" and hated the castle. People will complain about anything. People still claim ignorance to things now, even when there is no excuse, other then laziness. You can't make everyone happy.
Cant blame them though. Going on a once in a lifetime trip and one of your desires is to take a memorable family photo in front of THE Castle. Then you go and find whats standing there dressed up as a candy land castle instead of Cinderellas Castle. I can understand their disappointment.

Goofyernmost

I am curious the castle cake was just a temporary condition in celebration of the 25 anniversary what was it turned you off about the cake.
Surprise would be my guess. Back in those days you could get a video from WDW just for the asking, no cost to you, not even shipping, It came with all directions and explanations of the parks, partial video's of every attraction with voiced descriptions. You didn't even have to search anything just ask for the tape and you would know what was happening. So much has been mentioned about "one time visits", in those days with the prices what they were people going for the first and only time always came back, they were hooked.

I loved the castle not for it's exotic beauty but for it originality, design, fun and man the engineering and cost for that would or should have stopped everyone in their tracks. Instead of appreciation imagineers simply were criticized for their creation. You will notice that nothing of that size has been done since then. Even the smaller efforts weren't appreciated. Why spend the money when people only wanted a museum and not a fun, whimsical park.

BillW

Personally, I liked it. Fortunately, I viewed the castle many times prior, so to me it was creative and different. However, I can see how first timers would be disappointed. Nevertheless, I have some amazing pictures with my young daughter with the 25th anniversary cake castle.

rangerbob

Disney even admitted that it looked bad. They created a stained glass window of the traditional castle and placed it at the wedding pavilion to block the view of the cake castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom