Pre-Trip So much for taking a break.

So during our last trip (November '16) we "decided" that we would take a break from disney for a little bit. We "decided" we would take a little time to save up for DVC. We "decided" that we could wait.

Andddddddddd here we are 3 months later with another trip booked... Well that didn't take long lol.
I do want to add that these past 3 months were the longest time in 5 years I didn't have a trip booked... Which was very hard for me lol.

I figured it would be easier to make a PTR and ask suggestions then it would to continuously post threads (your welcome)

So here we go with the...

WHO?
- Hubby and I - the usual - note that my sister has an AP now so I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up last minute like our last trip.

WHAT? - A NO PARK (maybe 1) extra relaxing, extra fun, extra drinking, extra pool, extra food trip.

WHERE? - Back to Coronado Springs. *fingers crossed* for a refurbished room in Ranchos :) . Woot Woot on scoring $165 a night !

WHEN? - Saturday May 13th to Wednesday May 17th

HOW? - We're flying with frontier to get there (nervous about that) and taking American Airlines home.

For anyone who may be a bit confused about this - yes, I was going to go in June for our birthdays and stay off site.... I was worried about the heat and for some reason not excited about being offsite even though it was a good hotel.... I saw awesome flight prices and $165 a night @ CSR and BAM no questions asked I grabbed it lol.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So after seeing pictures of the state that CSR is in today, I'm very nervous. Normal room rehabs didn't bother me, I stayed at POFQ when the pool are was getting done, that didn't bother me. But this is extreme. If they are working on the water way that would be a major bummer view wise. The noise and fences all over the place bother me.... I didn't think Disney was going to move this quickly with this and I don't know what to do... another moderate isn't an option. We are thinking of renting points, or dealing with it, or canceling all together and waiting until fall (hoping we don't have to wait)

Being that this is a no park trip and we plan to spend a decent amount of time at the resort, it seems risky.

Any input or suggestions?

Some people are oblivious to construction and noise, while others are completely turned off. I can only speak for myself here, but I'm not a fan of construction while I'm a guest at a resort. For me, I'd change resorts.

However, it may also depend on exactly where you guestroom/building is located, in relation to the construction area. If you're far enough away, it may have minimal impact.

Zipadeelady

Noooooo @Jess G you can't cancel!! Ok so construction would probably bother me but only because this is a no park visit. I haven't read to much about the construction at CSR but is it possible to stay on the opposite side of the resort? Or I would look into renting points. We went through Dvc-rental. For four nights in September, over a weekend, we're paying $672.00 at AKL Kidani.

Jess G

Original Poster
Noooooo @Jess G you can't cancel!! Ok so construction would probably bother me but only because this is a no park visit. I haven't read to much about the construction at CSR but is it possible to stay on the opposite side of the resort? Or I would look into renting points. We went through Dvc-rental. For four nights in September, over a weekend, we're paying $672.00 at AKL Kidani.

I was pricing out rental points and it would only cost me about $150 more to switch to SSR or AKL (assuming they have a standard studio). It looks like almost all of CSR is affected besides the main area with dining. If we were hitting the parks every day it would be very different.. They limit there construction from 9-5 but honestly those are the hours that we would be at the resort.

I booked through a TA so I am feeling guilty about canceling to rent points. When hubby saw the pictures of CSR yesterday he made it clear he wasn't looking forward to that... We are spending $740 on 4 nights to sleep in a construction zone lol it does seem silly.

WDWDarling

So after seeing pictures of the state that CSR is in today, I'm very nervous. Normal room rehabs didn't bother me, I stayed at POFQ when the pool are was getting done, that didn't bother me. But this is extreme. If they are working on the water way that would be a major bummer view wise. The noise and fences all over the place bother me.... I didn't think Disney was going to move this quickly with this and I don't know what to do... another moderate isn't an option. We are thinking of renting points, or dealing with it, or canceling all together and waiting until fall (hoping we don't have to wait)

Being that this is a no park trip and we plan to spend a decent amount of time at the resort, it seems risky.

Any input or suggestions?

We're in the same boat. Just when I think I have all our plans situated lol.

After seeing the pictures posted in the CSR thread under the resorts board I'm really thinking about switching. Potentially going back to WL (although they have construction too) because they have their standard room available again and it's not much more than POR. And here I was thinking we would actually be saving money. :rolleyes: Ugh, I just don't know!

Hopefully we can both get it figured out. I hope you don't have to cancel your trip!

Jess G

Original Poster
Some people are oblivious to construction and noise, while others are completely turned off. I can only speak for myself here, but I'm not a fan of construction while I'm a guest at a resort. For me, I'd change resorts.

However, it may also depend on exactly where you guestroom/building is located, in relation to the construction area. If you're far enough away, it may have minimal impact.

I'm going to try to find the picture i saw of the affected area. It honestly looks like 80% of the resort... With how fast they are moving with this, I wouldn't be surprised if they started building that huge tower by May being that everything is being knocked down now to make room. I can't see building 15 stories without noise lol.

Hubby is a total princess, a value isn't an option for him. POR and POFQ would cost us more for our dates than renting points would, and CBR doesn't seem like its in any better shape than CSR. So right now it's either rent points or move the trip to September.

Jess G

Original Poster
We're in the same boat. Just when I think I have all our plans situated lol.

After seeing the pictures posted in the CSR thread under the resorts board I'm really thinking about switching. Potentially going back to WL (although they have construction too) because they have their standard room available again and it's not much more than POR. And here I was thinking we would actually be saving money. :rolleyes: Ugh, I just don't know!

Hopefully we can both get it figured out. I hope you don't have to cancel your trip!

I am trying to look at it like not canceling, just delaying. TBH as soon as my taxes come through knowing me I'll jump to rent points lol. Changing resorts would most likely mean change my plans around, so I'm feeling pressured to make a decision. WL would be nice! If it's in your budget I would go for it.

Jess G

Original Poster
@WDWDarling .... So I just took another look at pics... it looks like if they are done doing over the rooms in ranchos (which they should be by may) ... If we were able to get a room in Ranchos and we walked up past cabanas to get to the main area, the construction wouldn't affect us.... But depending on getting a room request granted is risky. And again we don't know what they are doing as far as the lake is concerned, so it might be unavoidable.

lostpro9het

I was pricing out rental points and it would only cost me about $150 more to switch to SSR or AKL
To me, this is a no-brainer, rent AKL points!
I booked through a TA so I am feeling guilty about canceling to rent points..
This is also a no-brainer, Its YOUR vacation not your "Lets do what's in the best interest of a TA so we should be unhappy with our trip" vacation.

Jess G

Original Poster
I know a $150. doesn't seem like much at first but when trying to save money it is a lot. I would hate for you to cancel but I would hate to deal with the construction while trying to relax. Are you not interested in RiverSide. We really enjoyed it a few years back.

for our dates riverside and POFQ are over $230 a night, it would be more then renting points. If we upgrade I would cancel one signature to try to make up for the money... When I price it out with the point rental, is the price i see what it is? or when check out comes is there a load of taxes and fees?

Jess G

Original Poster
To me, this is a no-brainer, rent AKL points!

This is also a no-brainer, Its YOUR vacation not your "Lets do what's in the best interest of a TA so we should be unhappy with our trip" vacation.

You're right I shouldn't feel guilty about that. After work today I am going to look in detail about renting points because that would be a first for me.

WDWDarling

@WDWDarling .... So I just took another look at pics... it looks like if they are done doing over the rooms in ranchos (which they should be by may) ... If we were able to get a room in Ranchos and we walked up past cabanas to get to the main area, the construction wouldn't affect us.... But depending on getting a room request granted is risky. And again we don't know what they are doing as far as the lake is concerned, so it might be unavoidable.

Thank you for the update! Like you said, looks like it might be okay but risky when it comes to actually getting the request or not.

I am trying to look at it like not canceling, just delaying. TBH as soon as my taxes come through knowing me I'll jump to rent points lol. Changing resorts would most likely mean change my plans around, so I'm feeling pressured to make a decision. WL would be nice! If it's in your budget I would go for it.

Very good way to look at it! You've got me interested in looking into renting points too. I've never done it but the pricing looks like it might work out better. Decisions, decisions!

Jess G

Original Poster
Thank you for the update! Like you said, looks like it might be okay but risky when it comes to actually getting the request or not.

Very good way to look at it! You've got me interested in looking into renting points too. I've never done it but the pricing looks like it might work out better. Decisions, decisions!

Look into it, the savings are shocking.

lostpro9het

omg @Zipitidoda I just priced it out through the website you used to rent points.... and holy crap it would only cost us $15 more to rent at AKL if they have a standard studio! that is amazing, they have awesome prices.... any catch I should know about? lol seems to good to be true.
I just checked availability for the 13th -17th and SSR is the only studio with full availability. AKL Kidani has the 14th -17th but not the 13th. This doesn't mean something wont open up, just an FYI.
EDIT:
The 14th-18th has full availability at AKL Kidani

Zipadeelady

omg @Zipitidoda I just priced it out through the website you used to rent points.... and holy crap it would only cost us $15 more to rent at AKL if they have a standard studio! that is amazing, they have awesome prices.... any catch I should know about? lol seems to good to be true.
I know!! It was scary for me because it is our first time renting but everything was smooth. I put a request in then let them know I was interested. I then had to pay $120 for them to then look for points from a owner, I paid through paypal with a link on their site (if there's no availability they say you get the $120. back). After a few days they said they had the availability and I had to pay the rest of the balance. They sent me the confirmation number from Disney and I hopped on MDE and linked the reservation, no problem at all and it had our name on it.

The only thing I would do different is I paid the balance by mailing a check. I'm still waiting for them to say they've received it and cash it. Next time i'll pay the balance through paypal. Don't know what I was thinking.:rolleyes:

Jess G

Original Poster
I just checked availability for the 13th -17th and SSR is the only studio with full availability. AKL Kidani has the 14th -17th but not the 13th. This doesn't mean something wont open up, just an FYI.
EDIT:
The 14th-18th has full availability at AKL Kidani

OMG thank you for checking that for me! Do you have any clue if I stay with CSR for the 13th and go to AKL after, am I locked into the price that I got CSR for, for the first night? Or is it like canceling and rebooking and getting it for the price that is currently listed on the website.

Hope that made sense?

Jess G

Original Poster
I know!! It was scary for me because it is our first time renting but everything was smooth. I put a request in then let them know I was interested. I then had to pay $120 for them to then look for points from a owner, I paid through paypal with a link on their site (if there's no availability they say you get the $120. back). After a few days they said they had the availability and I had to pay the rest of the balance. They sent me the confirmation number from Disney and I hopped on MDE and linked the reservation, no problem at all and it had our name on it.

The only thing I would do different is I paid the balance by mailing a check. I'm still waiting for them to say they've received it and cash it. Next time i'll pay the balance through paypal. Don't know what I was thinking.:rolleyes:

Yeah mailing a check for such an important thing like Disney seems like it would be nerve-racking lol . Thanks for all that info though it really helped.... this website is a dollar cheaper per point than all the others I've looked at.

lostpro9het

OMG thank you for checking that for me! Do you have any clue if I stay with CSR for the 13th and go to AKL after, am I locked into the price that I got CSR for, for the first night? Or is it like canceling and rebooking and getting it for the price that is currently listed on the website.

Hope that made sense?
Makes sense and that would be a TA question as I do not know the specifics of your package. Its plausible your current package is discounted becasue of a promotion based on a certain number of nights, I just dont know without being privy to the details.

Zipadeelady

Yeah mailing a check for such an important thing like Disney seems like it would be nerve-racking lol . Thanks for all that info though it really helped.... this website is a dollar cheaper per point than all the others I've looked at.
I looked into them somewhat to make sure they were ok. I dealt with Bee for most of the transaction then when it got down to finalizing everything we dealt with Scott. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom