So many Annual Pass Questions

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I did a search regarding AP but due to the nature of my questions did not find all the answers, so I thought I would put the following out there. Sorry for the length.
Background - The family and I rented DVC points for 7 nights this coming December at AKL-Jambo. We are planning to get APs during, if not before, the trip in Dec, as we plan on renting points for a short weekend trip in May 2015 and renting again for a long trip in Oct 2015. We also plan to get the TiW card. My question is timing.
1. I read that you could buy tickets on a place like UT and exchange the tickets on your first day for an AP. If you do this, I assume you would be credited the number of days on the ticket at the current rate (such as the current cost of an 8-day ph would be credited and not what I paid through UT) Is this correct? If I do this I understand that I would link my UT ticket to my AKL Magic Bands (so I can make my FP+) and then transfer the AP to the band once purchased.
2. If I don't realize any savings by purchasing tickets through UT and upgrading in Dec, I would go ahead and purchase the APs before August (next possible increase?). I have seen two answers to the next question and did not understand. My question is WHEN do the APs year clock start running is it when you order them (in Aug) or when you redeem the voucher (in Dec?)
3. I believe I read yesterday that you can use the AP voucher number and get your FP+ reservation (would this start the clock?). OR can I use the MB already linked to my AKL reservation to make FP+ reservations in October?
4. When can I purchase the TiW? Can I do it with the AP voucher or do I have to redeem the voucher at the gate and get the TiW at guest services?
I think I have asked all my questions.
THANK YOU so much in advance for helping me:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1. You supposedly can, but I have never personally done it. The way I have heard it works is that once a ticket has been used, Disney's systems can no longer distinguish it between a full price or a discounted ticket. One word of warning. If you try get this, buy a regular ticket with no options. If you get a ticket with the water park option and use it, your only upgrade option is a premium AP.
2. You AP renewal date is 1 year from the date of first use. You could buy an AP today, use in for the first time on 1/1/2015 and your renewal date will be 1/2/2016.
3. See answer 2.
4. Purchase the TIWL card on the first day you intend to use it. Unlike an AP, the clock starts running the day you buy it. You can get it at any guest services or ticket window.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Master Yoda is correct. Here's a few of my personal experiences:
I went in November 2012 with the intention of getting an AP because I was going again in June 2013.

The trick with getting a discounted ticket with the sole intention of upgrading to an AP is to find the ticket with the greatest discount from its *own* gate price, while that gate price is still *less* than the price of the AP. (Because you don't get a refund if the ticket is worth more than the AP, and you're jsut wasting money at that point)
At the time that I bought my ticket, the one that fit that bill was an 8-day Hopper with the No-Expiration option. The Undercover Tourist price was about $45 less than what an 8-day No-Expiration Hopper's gate price was, and that gate price was still slightly less than an AP.

On our first day, we went to the Magic Kingdom. While my friend waited outside, I went into the park with my 8-day ticket, turned around and immediately left again. We then walked over to Guest Relations and I upgraded the ticket to an AP, only paying about $4.50. But overall I still saved $45 off the price of my Annual Pass.

The key is to know how much you *should* be credited, and make sure what the CM is trying to charge you is correct. (He messed it up the first time, and had to redo it.) If there's a discrepancy in the price, make sure to use the phrase "bridging the ticket" so they know where they went wrong.

I also bought my Tables in Wonderland card at that point, too. The TiW card is actually good for one year from the end of the month *following* when you buy it. So I bought mine in mid-November 2012, and it expired on December 31, 2013.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Wngo905

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thank you both. I will go with the UT (or other comparable trustworthy ticket) and link it to my AKL MB so I can make the reservations for rides. Then do the exchange after activating the discount ticket our first day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom