So has anyone been in the Edison yet?

durangojim

Original Poster
Looking at a couple of blog reviews of the NYE it looked very "Meh". I'm still trying to figure out who the audience is for this place. Call me a skeptic, but I don't see people adhearing to a dress code there when none of the Disney restaurants except Victoria and Albert's are successful enforcing one (I'm looking at you California Grill:mad:).
My guess is that within a year the dress code is gone and the restaurant and theme are retooled. But I could very well be wrong.

rwinner

I was with a large group NYE. We were all blown away by the Edison. The decor, food, service and bar were all excellent. If you're expecting the Adventurers Club 2.0 (as one blog post I read seemed like they were expecting) you'll be disappointed. They spent a fortune on this venue and it shows. It's supposed to be an old power plant, not a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock.
Everyone I talked to that night was impressed. Time will tell if the nightlife/dress code portion will work...but I'm hoping it will, the Springs definitely need it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No ones been there I suppose because it doesn't open till 1/15...If the press release is correct...

Perhaps patina is having soft openings?

I am interested in this...and thanks to open table it took me 8 seconds to book a no commitment reservation next month ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was with a large group NYE. We were all blown away by the Edison. The decor, food, service and bar were all excellent. If you're expecting the Adventurers Club 2.0 (as one blog post I read seemed like they were expecting) you'll be disappointed. They spent a fortune on this venue and it shows. It's supposed to be an old power plant, not a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock.
Everyone I talked to that night was impressed. Time will tell if the nightlife/dress code portion will work...but I'm hoping it will, the Springs definitely need it.

That a pretty cool review...thank you!

I'm all for different...disney restaurant on the dining plan with stripped menus has gotten old.

I want to tell my server each time: "please don't recommend the steak...and no, the cheesecake really isn't "very good"

durangojim

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. What restaurants, Disney or otherwise would you compare the food to? Also in terms of drinks, what do they offer. I’m partial to brown drinks done extremely well - Old Fashioneds and Manhattans are my thing. If a bar can’t make a decent one (if I see a red cherry they’ve already lost) then they’re not worth going to, except La Cava.

rwinner

Thanks for the response. What restaurants, Disney or otherwise would you compare the food to? Also in terms of drinks, what do they offer. I’m partial to brown drinks done extremely well - Old Fashioneds and Manhattans are my thing. If a bar can’t make a decent one (if I see a red cherry they’ve already lost) then they’re not worth going to, except La Cava.

Not a red cherry to be found. They have the largest selection of liquors that I’ve ever seen. I’m addition they have the single large ice cubes!
The NYE event was passed foods and stations, but I believe most of the items will be on their menu. I’m assuming that the menu is moderate to upscale American fare. I’d look at the Edison menu from LA to get a pretty good idea of what they’ll offer in Orlando.
https://www.edisondowntown.com/pdf/menu.pdf

I walked in a looked around on this past Tuesday night. The door was open, and no one said a word to me. Upon walking in however, it was obvious that the place wasn't open for business. The wait staff was all gathered around a table folding napkins, etc, and there were no customers. The place looked rather stark being empty. Frankly, it wasn't at all what I expected. It is very open and airy. You can see the whole place from where ever you stand in the room. There are lots of tables and I think only one big bar. The "steampunk" theme is not pervasive, but limited to several set pieces. The stage is small, only a riser off of the plain floor. My brother lives in LA and says that The Edison out there is "the second coolest bar I've ever been in." I don't see how this place will ever rise to that level. I'll be back down there in March and I hope to try it again when it's open, as I understand that it's hard for a place like this to have a great atmosphere when there's no one in it.

The old Adventurer's club atrium is still there, although it has been completely stripped down to the structural steel and rebuilt to accommodate this new place. If you miss the Adventurer's Club, you'll find more to like at the Skipper's Canteen or Trader Sam's than at The Edison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom