Snow White's Scary Adventures Vs. Snow White's Enchanted Wish

Which is the better version of the ride?

• Total voters

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Since the main thread has become an overdrawn Political related thread that's just posting in circles, I though it'd be nice if there was a separate thread that just discussed the quality of the ride itself (hopefully). So let's start anew with a poll!

Now that we've had a week to all have formed an opinion on this new version of Snow White, how are we all feeling on it? Better or worse than the post-'83 version? I don't think I need to post pictures anything as I think we're all acquainted what the differences between these two rides are.

The Aracuan Bird

I’ve only been on Scary Adventures. I do like some new additions to the ride. There’s greater inclusion of the 1937 film’s phenomenal soundtrack. The new mine scene looks fantastic, with a really cool practical effect. The touch ups and projection effects in the Queen’s Castle look great. I like the animated Hag on top of the rocks (a compelling use of a screen). The coffin scene is a spectacle.

On the other hand...

The pacing of the last third is dreadful. The mirror under the bridge smashing is a tacky way to move the plot forward. The screen of the dwarfs walking along the log is out of place. The new cliff climax scene is really cramped.

The previous incarnation had good pacing and an excellent premise, but a weak soundtrack. The new version features more of the iconic scenes and songs...at the expense of the aforementioned pacing and premise. I see myself potentially enjoying the attraction a little bit more. But it’s hard to call the upgrade a better attraction definitively, when it replaced one that was tailor made for the theme park medium.

yensidtlaw1969

Haven't ridden Enchanted Wish yet, but I do get the impression that it is ultimately the version that makes the most sense to have in the park.

There are of course some things I will really miss from Scary Adventures, and I wish that gaining the nice new things for Enchanted Wish didn't mean having to lose them. But thinking about it objectively, on balance I feel the overall gains of Enchanted Wish tend to be worth what we lost in Scary Adventures. Generally speaking.

In an ideal world we'd get a version of Enchanted Wish that had a slightly different "Exploding Mirror" moment, leading to a great, refreshed Haunted Forest scene, and the Cliff/Boulder scene as it existed in Scary Adventures - THEN followed by the current sequence of events that starts with the new Kiss scene.

Disneyland doesn't have the space for this, of course, but I feel like this would have made basically everybody pretty happy.

mharrington

Can anyone explain who provides the safety spiel? Because it's no longer the Witch. I'm going to assume it sounds like one of the Dwarfs, maybe Doc.

I know I had asked this in the other thread, but it got lost in the political debate, almost as if it was an afterthought.

yensidtlaw1969

Only if they’d also given the ride a name that didn’t sound like a terrible made-for-video holiday sequel.
I agree that could have been better. Had it simply reverted to “Snow White’s Adventures” I wouldn’t have been mad.

Also, nitpick, but the Book at the end now says “And they lived Happily Ever After. Snow White’s Wish had come true!” - to me, flipping those sentences would have made more sense; “Snow White’s wish had come true . . . and they lived Happily Ever After!”

TP2000

Just in case some fans here have never seen a video of the scariest ride in Disney history, here’s a great light-assisted ride-through of the wonderfully demented WDW original before it got “tamed”.

That looks really... weird. A lot of that stuff showed up in the Disneyland version too, but the placement and pacing was different.

I'm thinking this current version looks like the best one yet.

Rich T

That looks really... weird. A lot of that stuff showed up in the Disneyland version too, but the placement and pacing was different.

I'm thinking this current version looks like the best one yet.
This WDW version was, indeed, weird. And focused, tight, relentless and hilariously twisted. I rode it in ‘93, shortly before it was changed. It worked incredibly well as “The ride where the witch keeps jumping out at you.” I loved it, and I would have made the parental warning sign out front much larger.

The current DL version fumbles the 2nd half enough to make it my least favorite version. The first half is fine.

johnsmith1917

Voted for Enchanted Wish. Has a more fitting climax(prince kissing Snow) and actually follows Snow White's journey. In the future, I would like them to clean up the mirror smashing scene set design, but these are minor issues compared to the previous ride. While Scary Adventures was fun, it only highlighted the eerie/scary atmosphere of the film.

Enchanted Wish captures way more of the film's spirit and finally features the film's signature song "Someday my Prince will come" (ranked #19 of all movie songs every by AFI). Beforehand, it was like having a Beauty and the Beast attraction without the title song or Little Mermaid ride without "Part of your World"

Last edited:

Rich T

Voted for Enchanted Wish. Has a more fitting climax(prince kissing Snow) and actually follows Snow White's journey. In the future, I would like them to clean up the mirror smashing scene set design, but these are minor issues compared to the previous ride. While Scary Adventures was fun, it only highlighted the eerie/scary atmosphere of the film.

Enchanted Wish captures way more of the film's spirit and finally features the film's signature song "Someday my Prince will come" (ranked #19 of all movie songs every by AFI). Beforehand, it was like having a Beauty and the Beast attraction without the title song or Little Mermaid ride without "Part of your World"
Rides are at their best when they do their own thing and don’t simply try to recreate a movie’s storyline (especially at the cost of a fun and iconic sequence). And that weird ending is one of the worst things the Imagjneers have ever done. Still love the new mine, though; Tokyo should incorporate some of that into their version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom