Snow White 75th Anniversary

WED99

Original Poster
75 years ago today Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered at the Carthay Circle Theater, and went on to be a wild success, beginning a whole new era for the Walt Disney Company.

It is arguably Walt Disney's greatest achievement, but before it's release was known as "Disney's Folly". The film allowed huge opportunities for the company and inspired a new type of film making. The profits from the film allowed a state of the art studio to be built, which is still in use today!

Imagine what wouldn't be around today if Snow White was never released. Animated Features would always be thought of as "a waste of money". No Cinderella, No Fantasia, No Beauty and the Beast, No Dumbo ride, No Peter Pan's Flight, Disneyland would never have came to be! No young Disney inspired John Lasseter, No Pixar. The name Walt Disney would of died off years ago and would go on to have a 2 sentence Wikipedia page reading "A 1901 born male, who went on to create Mickey Mouse. His feature Snow White was never released." See what this film did for not only Walt's life, but all of ours!

Although 2D animation in films seems to be coming to an end, the legacy left behind from Snow White will never be forgotten. 75 years later and were still waiting for a new attraction based on the film!

I just wish Walt was around to see what his feature did for the world today.

Magenta Panther

Thank You!

You're welcome! Thanks for reminding us about Walt's first masterpiece. I have it on DVD, and I'm still in awe of its emotional power. Walt certainly knew how to create lovable characters and adapt stories in such a way that they're much more memorable than the source material (except maybe in the case of Alice in Wonderland; I don't think ANY film-maker has managed to create a satisfying film out of that difficult, oddball book). It's important to remember these Disney anniversaries. Thanks again!

WED99

Original Poster
You're welcome! Thanks for reminding us about Walt's first masterpiece. I have it on DVD, and I'm still in awe of its emotional power. Walt certainly knew how to create lovable characters and adapt stories in such a way that they're much more memorable than the source material (except maybe in the case of Alice in Wonderland; I don't think ANY film-maker has managed to create a satisfying film out of that difficult, oddball book). It's important to remember these Disney anniversaries. Thanks again!
Walt really was right when he said "It's the perfect story". The humor, the emotion, the environment, they all make it one of the greatest animated films of all time! I would love to see it re-released with the Soup Slurp sequence by Ward Kimball!

EmmabaRose

This film means so much to me I don't know where to start. It was the first film, as well as a musical, I ever remember loving at age 3. For my birthday my grandma made me a home-made Snow White dress (which looks almost exactly like the ones they sell, but to me is far more special.) I would dress up and re-create the film around the house, running up and down the hallway like they were the scary woods and kissing mini dwarf figures and sending them off to work. This is the film that made me love Disney. <3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom