Snoring Strategy for Hotel/Room Booking

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have also found wearing a nightguard also helps with snoring. You can find the one you mold yourself pretty much anywhere (Target, Walgreens, Walmart etc)

I'll have to look into it. He used to have one from the ENT he initially saw. I know he still snored with it, but that was many years ago, so things may have improved. I know he has a dental night guard, but that was from our previous dentist and the current one didn't recommend it. So, we shouldn't have a competing night guard situation. Thanks!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
OP, If you think it could be acid reflux I would see if he's willing to try apple cider vinegar. (1-2 Tablespoons diluted in water daily).
It may help. Or if there's something that seems to make it worse maybe tell him to sop eating that lol.
And I feel like trying out a pillow isn't a huge request to ask.
I mean if its not that big of an issue for you in your daily lives I guess you really don't have to change anything but I'd probably suggest giving him his own resort room if its as bad as you portray it. Like you need multiple noises and ear plugs and you can still hear him.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
OP, If you think it could be acid reflux I would see if he's willing to try apple cider vinegar. (1-2 Tablespoons diluted in water daily).
It may help. Or if there's something that seems to make it worse maybe tell him to sop eating that lol.
And I feel like trying out a pillow isn't a huge request to ask.
I mean if its not that big of an issue for you in your daily lives I guess you really don't have to change anything but I'd probably suggest giving him his own resort room if its as bad as you portray it. Like you need multiple noises and ear plugs and you can still hear him.

It's worth a shot and we do have apple cider vinegar at home already. The one thing I know that makes it worse is alcohol. Not that he drinks a ton, but a bit more on vacation and enough to make things worse than they might be on an average Wednesday work night at home. I can suggest, but can't force though, so if the headphones I'm eyeing don't work...separate rooms is going to have to be the new norm, especially on our longer trips. Thanks for the suggestions!

mmnw

Learning new things like acid reflux and night guards. My husband goes thru cycles of this all. Allergy season makes it worse. He says when he loses weight it helps so he tries to eat differently at least for my sanity.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Learning new things like acid reflux and night guards. My husband goes thru cycles of this all. Allergy season makes it worse. He says when he loses weight it helps so he tries to eat differently at least for my sanity.

Yeah, I think increased weight has also made my DH's snoring get worse over the years. I've tried to encourage him to make changes for his health and comfort, but at the end of the day, he has to want to do it. At least your husband is working on it and I'm sure it will have a number of benefits.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
White noise maker, on your phone nowadays

Adjoining Rooms ;)

I have an app that I bought several years ago called Sleep Machine. I change up the sounds periodically, but this was the mix with the best results during our most recent trip. This playing through my phone while using earplugs was most effective when the sound was right near my head. So, I'm hoping that playing this through noise canceling wireless ear buds might do the trick.

50149550766_bd57d27024.jpg

BASS

Sounds like there is a bigger issue here than how to sleep soundly on vacation!

I had it years ago. It was a combination of several things for me: (1) eating late; (2) acid reflux and (3) alcohol, which stressed the acid reflux.

There are a whole host of remedies for acid reflux. I did a lot of reading back in the day and learned it is generally caused by imbalance between bad and good bacteria. Have to get more good bacteria in (pre- and probiotics, yogurt, fermented food, etc.) and avoid trigger foods. For me, the primary trigger foods were beer, hard alcohol and fried food. Other things that stressed people like wine, tomato sauce, weren't triggers.

Personally, I'd avoid apple cider vinegar and acid/citrus as that causes reflux for some, but I'm no doctor.

JIMINYCR

The ear plugs that I've been using and they work fabulous for me are called Macks pillow soft earplugs. They are soft round plugs that molds to the ear canal and flattens to form a seal. I've tried many other types and these seem to block out the noise the best. I always carry them with me on Disney trips. They are much more effective than the foam type plugs.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Sounds like there is a bigger issue here than how to sleep soundly on vacation!

I had it years ago. It was a combination of several things for me: (1) eating late; (2) acid reflux and (3) alcohol, which stressed the acid reflux.

There are a whole host of remedies for acid reflux. I did a lot of reading back in the day and learned it is generally caused by imbalance between bad and good bacteria. Have to get more good bacteria in (pre- and probiotics, yogurt, fermented food, etc.) and avoid trigger foods. For me, the primary trigger foods were beer, hard alcohol and fried food. Other things that stressed people like wine, tomato sauce, weren't triggers.

Personally, I'd avoid apple cider vinegar and acid/citrus as that causes reflux for some, but I'm no doctor.

Alcohol is definitely a trigger for him. I should have taken notes during the trip to determine which meals and drinks made him better or worse. Good point about the vinegar. He hasn't tried it yet, but I guess it could go either way depending on his system.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The ear plugs that I've been using and they work fabulous for me are called Macks pillow soft earplugs. They are soft round plugs that molds to the ear canal and flattens to form a seal. I've tried many other types and these seem to block out the noise the best. I always carry them with me on Disney trips. They are much more effective than the foam type plugs.

I've used the Macks that can be molded when I've had swimming issues with my ears. I can't say I've ever slept in them, but being moldable could help. I've also tried Macks purple foam snore blockers, but they max out below 30 dB. I think the others are low 20s, but not 100%. Which is funny, because they seem like they'd be more effective. If these ear buds don't work, I'll have to try the pillow soft version.

BASS

Alcohol is definitely a trigger for him. I should have taken notes during the trip to determine which meals and drinks made him better or worse. Good point about the vinegar. He hasn't tried it yet, but I guess it could go either way depending on his system.

Yeah, like citrus does it for my wife (and sadly, because she loves it!).

shipley731

My husband snored for years & I always had a terrible time sleeping. Doesn’t help that I’m an incredibly light sleeper. He had a triple bypass in 2007. When he was in the hospital, the nurses mentioned that he probably had sleep apenea & should probably have a sleep study done after he recovered from surgery. It took me several years to convince him to do the study. The CPAP was a huge game changer. He sleeps better & feels better. I sleep better too.

Diane Hardt

Not sleeping well due to your traveling companions isn't silly at all! One time I was so frustrated with my husband's snoring I was ready to drag a mattress into the bathroom!
Some options to consider that I've learned help include, any white noise- a fan, or phone app with a fan noise (I've used a fan for 30 years nightly), ear plugs and a sleep aid for you if you tolerate them.
Other options are a 1 or 2 bedroom villa to be able to spread out a little better.
Before pools were gated and closed at night we stayed at Pop. At 2 am I finally dragged a blanket and a couple pillows out to the bowling pin pool. Pushed 2 loungers together. Got a couple hours sleep till the “ CAW! CAW!” Of the birds woke me about 4:30. Went back to the room. Hubby never even knew I was gone!

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I second using Breathe Right Strips. I almost always buy the generic type which work just fine as long as I wipe my nose free of any oils before applying it and hold in place for about 20 seconds. Those, in combination with sucking my tongue up against the roof of my mouth before I go to sleep, have helped some; not 100%, but better.

More importantly, I would push for another sleep study. Once that is done and assuming you get a diagnosis of sleep apnea (which sounds likely) you might look into an oral device from a dentist who treats sleep apnea. I used a CPAP machine for years, but never could get comfortable with it. I tend to move a lot in my sleep and being attached to a device was causing me to wake up and become frustrated as I managed all the tubing. I've not tried an oral device yet, but once I'm through with braces (again), I'll be starting the process of acquiring one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom